Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Antiquity: The Shattered Crown - Ultima-like retro RPG

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I’m not familiar with the technical capabilities of the TI-99 (I was a C64 man :obviously:) but just based on its age as a contemporary of the VIC-20 I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of content and detail in the game.

I'm not an expert on the TI-99 either but from the other games I checked out after RoA its a quantum jump from them to this (which means there's almost nothing with this level of complexity on the system). I think if that game had come out when the TI-99 was originally used it would have blown some people's minds.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
And after some tricky assembly changes, I have managed to implement weapon damage and special effects both getting applied. Of course, monsters benefit from it as well... :)

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
And after some tricky assembly changes, I have managed to implement weapon damage and special effects both getting applied. Of course, monsters benefit from it as well... :)

Awesome! I regret that I have no fists with which to bro you but thank you and bring on the pain :salute:. I might just bust out the Singing Mace again...

Denim Destroyer

Learned
New update was just released which in addition to fixing pathfinding, also added new spells and quality of life features such as being able to examine items in shops.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1539750/view/3200378629639134649

Build 4.19.042 release
Change-list:
  • Bugs
    • Fixed a boss monster pathfinding issue that prevented a 2nd large enemy from attacking in melee.
    • Fixed the fallen paladin carrying Skullcrusher so you can't get it more than once, or crash your game by accident.
    • Fixed the Corrosion spell's FX.
    • Using the Rainbow Orb in combat now has the correct FX displaying.
    • Finding rations in treasure chests no longer prompts for player selection.
    • You can no longer discard artifacts while going through a treasure chest post-battle and choosing to swap.
    • Removed "Trade" option for single character parties with treasure chests in combat.
    • Sleeping characters can no longer open chests after combat.
    • Tweaked monster sorcery skill up a bit across the board; an earlier bug masked the low values.
    • The strange scepter now disappears from your inventory as intended when placed in Remzak's altar.
    • Grammar/spelling corrections.

• Features
    • Game reload is now available in combat mode.
    • Seven new spells, added to existing spellbooks and also available to monsters:
      • Firebeam, shoots a blast of fire in a line from caster.
      • Kismet, reduces monster spawn interval.
      • Iceball, cold damage in a ball.
      • Mark, marks current location for homing stone.
      • Mass Ward, casts ward on entire party.
      • Mindblast, large cone of mental damage from caster.
      • Restore, restores health and stamina to target. If cast on self, stamina penalized.

• Magic Blade now has a unique sound effect that is the same in both travel and combat.
    • Pathfinding optimization and fixes to reduce odd behavior like running away from targets.
    • Some boss monsters are now guaranteed to drop random rare items.
    • New monsters added, two new fiends and "Drakvir", dragon-like men in four varieties.
    • Added specific monster abilities "berzerk", "regeneration", and "strength" that is self-targeted only.
    • When the active character has no lockpicks, it now says "{active character} has no lockpick!"
    • When the active character has no trap tools, it now says "{active character} has no tool!"
    • The Radiant Pharos has extra abilities:
      • It now reveals all secrets and dangers for all party members.
      • All traps are 100% discoverable in its light.

• Wands no longer deal piercing damage, and damage has been altered to low base/high range instead of vice-versa.
    • Weapons with special effect properties now deal both damage and the special effect.
      • If you equip a trinket and a weapon with special weapon effects, the trinket takes precedence.

• You can now examine equipped items.
    • You can now equip items swapping out current item in slot.
      • Combinations like 1H to 2H that would require two slots are rejected, you need to remove them manually.

• Tools, light sources, and artifacts now have descriptions when examined.
    • Examining a spellbook will prompt you to equip it and view the spell list on the statistic screens.
    • You can now examine items in shops, as well as items you're selling.
    • When having a round of drinks at a pub, you are now prompted if you want to stay and hear more (at no additional cost).
    • The mountain region between Fort Granros and Bleyloch is now known as the Blackcrag Pass.
      • In-game text has been updated to refer to this name.

• Bramimir now considers two quests in the Savage Isles as worthy deeds that earn her companionship.
    • A road and bridge now crosses the river near Port Bonifice.
    • Attempting to leave the pirate hut now triggers the quest encounter with the pirate captain. (Only on new games.)
    • Herbal Remedy is now available in the Ispahan Bazaar.
    • You can now sell items at the Ispahan Bazaar.
    • Zeke's Tools in Weymoor now buys back a lot more variety of items.
    • Clogs and Crafts in Bleyloch now buys items.
    • McDonnall's Merchantile in Port Bonifice now buys items.
    • PDF of the deluxe map now included in the Docs folder.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm not an expert on the TI-99 either but from the other games I checked out after RoA its a quantum jump from them to this (which means there's almost nothing with this level of complexity on the system). I think if that game had come out when the TI-99 was originally used it would have blown some people's minds.

I think that with a lot of projects done today for retro-machines.

When watching videos of old software games and console games I see the critique and issues with some of them. And there is the rushed near trashware.

When I see things like the Death Lord project it gives me hope some other programmers with time on their hands would choose a game of old and mess with it and see what they could improve upon. Emulators are fine but that isn't changing the core game and addressing old issues or adding optional QOL we see today.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
New update was just released which in addition to fixing pathfinding, also added new spells and quality of life features such as being able to examine items in shops.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1539750/view/3200378629639134649

Build 4.19.042 release
Change-list:
  • Bugs
    • Fixed a boss monster pathfinding issue that prevented a 2nd large enemy from attacking in melee.
    • Fixed the fallen paladin carrying Skullcrusher so you can't get it more than once, or crash your game by accident.
    • Fixed the Corrosion spell's FX.
    • Using the Rainbow Orb in combat now has the correct FX displaying.
    • Finding rations in treasure chests no longer prompts for player selection.
    • You can no longer discard artifacts while going through a treasure chest post-battle and choosing to swap.
    • Removed "Trade" option for single character parties with treasure chests in combat.
    • Sleeping characters can no longer open chests after combat.
    • Tweaked monster sorcery skill up a bit across the board; an earlier bug masked the low values.
    • The strange scepter now disappears from your inventory as intended when placed in Remzak's altar.
    • Grammar/spelling corrections.

• Features
    • Game reload is now available in combat mode.
    • Seven new spells, added to existing spellbooks and also available to monsters:
      • Firebeam, shoots a blast of fire in a line from caster.
      • Kismet, reduces monster spawn interval.
      • Iceball, cold damage in a ball.
      • Mark, marks current location for homing stone.
      • Mass Ward, casts ward on entire party.
      • Mindblast, large cone of mental damage from caster.
      • Restore, restores health and stamina to target. If cast on self, stamina penalized.

• Magic Blade now has a unique sound effect that is the same in both travel and combat.
    • Pathfinding optimization and fixes to reduce odd behavior like running away from targets.
    • Some boss monsters are now guaranteed to drop random rare items.
    • New monsters added, two new fiends and "Drakvir", dragon-like men in four varieties.
    • Added specific monster abilities "berzerk", "regeneration", and "strength" that is self-targeted only.
    • When the active character has no lockpicks, it now says "{active character} has no lockpick!"
    • When the active character has no trap tools, it now says "{active character} has no tool!"
    • The Radiant Pharos has extra abilities:
      • It now reveals all secrets and dangers for all party members.
      • All traps are 100% discoverable in its light.

• Wands no longer deal piercing damage, and damage has been altered to low base/high range instead of vice-versa.
    • Weapons with special effect properties now deal both damage and the special effect.
      • If you equip a trinket and a weapon with special weapon effects, the trinket takes precedence.

• You can now examine equipped items.
    • You can now equip items swapping out current item in slot.
      • Combinations like 1H to 2H that would require two slots are rejected, you need to remove them manually.

• Tools, light sources, and artifacts now have descriptions when examined.
    • Examining a spellbook will prompt you to equip it and view the spell list on the statistic screens.
    • You can now examine items in shops, as well as items you're selling.
    • When having a round of drinks at a pub, you are now prompted if you want to stay and hear more (at no additional cost).
    • The mountain region between Fort Granros and Bleyloch is now known as the Blackcrag Pass.
      • In-game text has been updated to refer to this name.

• Bramimir now considers two quests in the Savage Isles as worthy deeds that earn her companionship.
    • A road and bridge now crosses the river near Port Bonifice.
    • Attempting to leave the pirate hut now triggers the quest encounter with the pirate captain. (Only on new games.)
    • Herbal Remedy is now available in the Ispahan Bazaar.
    • You can now sell items at the Ispahan Bazaar.
    • Zeke's Tools in Weymoor now buys back a lot more variety of items.
    • Clogs and Crafts in Bleyloch now buys items.
    • McDonnall's Merchantile in Port Bonifice now buys items.
    • PDF of the deluxe map now included in the Docs folder.
Since I purchased on itchio I want ya'll to know It was updated 22 hours ago.

https://adamantyr.itch.io/realms-of-antiquity-the-shattered-crown

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
I think that with a lot of projects done today for retro-machines.

When watching videos of old software games and console games I see the critique and issues with some of them. And there is the rushed near trashware.

When I see things like the Death Lord project it gives me hope some other programmers with time on their hands would choose a game of old and mess with it and see what they could improve upon. Emulators are fine but that isn't changing the core game and addressing old issues or adding optional QOL we see today.
I’d just like to add that making something like Deathlord Relorded takes a very long time because you have to understand the whole program. The worst would be to introduce bugs because you missed that register X was used later to calculate your chance of opening doors.
Not only do you build a new display engine, but you have to work within the confines of the original program that you need to understand as well as the original programmers.

Ladonna

Arcane

RoA does require many additional addons (ram, etc) for the system. I don't know how many original TI-99 owners splurged for all the extras back then, but if the C64 is any indication, not many. Only the most hardcore C64 fanboys (with hardcore wallets to boot) bought the REU's, multiple drives, and maybe even the super CPU addon, so basically no entertainment software was made to utilise it. It is a pity that no C64 rpg projects have gone down this route (except for one bit of vaporware that shall not be named).

With that said, RoA would have been a massive hit back in the 80's, with producers knocking Adam's door down and demanding ports to other 8 bit systems.

Ladonna

Arcane
Ah you had Branimir and Flynn in the party!

Do all the possible party members have their own little thing going on? Or only if the correct members are present? I enjoyed the Bard/Rogue storyline, but now I am curious how many other little flavour stories are in the game.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Ah you had Branimir and Flynn in the party!

Do all the possible party members have their own little thing going on? Or only if the correct members are present? I enjoyed the Bard/Rogue storyline, but now I am curious how many other little flavour stories are in the game.
Not all of them do, I honestly couldn't implement too many permutations. The Kit/Doran and Branimir/Flynn relationships are the most noticable. You get random commentary from the others at various places and times related to them. There's one interaction that requires Kit, Doran and Layla in the party which I honestly shouldn't have done because that would only work for ONE party formation ever, and not exactly one that would be popular.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
requires Kit, Doran and Layla in the party which I honestly shouldn't have done because that would only work for ONE party formation ever, and not exactly one that would be popular.

these kind of easter eggs make a game special though

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
adamantyr do you think you will ever make another game like it?
Possibly! I'm on some other projects first, but a sequel is not impossible.
Hey are you working on that East Front game you mentioned a long time ago?
I got the code for that one sitting around, but I was still in the process of trying to understand how the AI worked. Plus I'd probably need to play the original Atari version side by side to compare it and make sure the port was "faithful".

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Oh hey, just realised the physical collectors Ed is still available! :-D

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
adamantyr do you think this would run on a Tandy 1000HX? If so, I will go through the rigmarole of installing it on a 3.5 inch and giving it a whirl.

Oh hey, just realised the physical collectors Ed is still available! :D
I can recommend it, sturdy box and good goodies, much better than most kickstarter editions
Yeah, highly recommended, it has its permanent place of honor on my shelve. A beautiful box, carefully crafted manual and a lovely cloth map. I love open it now and then, it gives me exactly that warm, cozy feeling boxed games back in the heydays gave me, feels like a relict from the 80ies. Like a world in itself.
I do have to say that I'd love to get the "deluxe" map too - alas shipping to my country is more expensive than the map itself. :(

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Oh hey, just realised the physical collectors Ed is still available! :D
I can recommend it, sturdy box and good goodies, much better than most kickstarter editions
Yeah, highly recommended, it has it's permanent place of honor on my shelve. A beautiful box, carefully crafted manual and a lovely cloth map. I love open it now and then, it gives me exactly that warm, cozy feeling boxed games back in the heydays gave me, feels like a relict from the 80ies. Like a world in itself.
I do have to say that I'd love to get the "deluxe" map too - alas shipping to my country is more expensive than the map itself. :(
Yep, I think I got three CE's left now. But several deluxe maps. Get them while you can!

Yeah, the shipping these days international is just brutal. Plus I have to constantly watch and track it to make sure it gets to where it needs to. Some countries are really good at returning data to USPS, others are not. In some cases I've had to email the recipients to ask them if they got the package yet!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom