Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Rebecca Heineman's Dragons of the Rip (formerly Dragon Wars 2)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That doesn't mean DW 2 will have anything to do with Interplay / Herve.

Interplay/Herve own the IP to Dragon Wars. You understand that right?
Has anyone actually confirmed that?

Dragon Wars was developed and published by Interplay. They own the IP rights.

They *CAN* make a game called Dragon Wars 2, but it cannot have anything from Interplays Dragon Wars IP (people, locations etc...).

Unless they made a deal with Herve... And I would be willing to bet he called them.

Alchemist

Arcane
Well a lot of stuff was published and made by people back in the day and then changed hands over the years. Until there's an official statement who owns it I wouldn't assume anything. Maybe Olde Skuul is going to buy the rights or already did.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well a lot of stuff was published and made by people back in the day and then changed hands over the years. Until there's an official statement who owns it I wouldn't assume anything. Maybe Olde Skuul is going to buy the rights or already did.

They developed the game at Interplay. There wasn't another developer involved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some more fun from Becky here: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9586

The three games shipped by InXile with the 2004 game "A Quest for Coin and Cleavage" (Seriously?) are the ones I wrote which are the Apple IIgs versions of Bard's Tale I and Bard's Tale II and the Apple ][ version of Bard's Tale III. I would actually use that as the basis for an updated windows/linux/mac/ios/whatever native version. Although, I'd use my unfinished Bard's Tale III for the Apple IIgs version to do an updated version since it has the better graphics and is based on the Dragon Wars engine. To release them, all I need is a license. I can easily put them up for sale on the Olde Skuul steam page.
icon_e_smile.gif
Oh, yes, I'd put the manual text into the game!

:roll:

I wonder if this thread gave her the idea to do this.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Most of her fans and peers know Jennell Jaquays for the body of work she created using the name "Paul Jaquays" through-out the course of her career as an artist and game developer working on role play gaming and computer and video game development projects.
(...)
Jennell currently resides in Seattle, Washington with her fiancee Rebecca Heineman

Okay? I..I don't get it. So both are transsexuals but they live like a lesbian couple? I'd like to think that I am fairly open minded but this is just too lulzy for me, I have never heard of such a thing in my life.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes I know that - it still doesn't mean it couldn't be sold off at one point.

I highly doubt Herve would sell it, because I bet you 100 MEEELION dollars he called them and asked them to do Dragon Wars 2 for him.

Just like when he asked those people to do a new Battle Chess for him using Kickstarter (and it failed) r00fles!

Alchemist

Arcane
Yes I know that - it still doesn't mean it couldn't be sold off at one point.

I highly doubt Herve would sell it, because I bet you 100 MEEELION dollars he called them and asked them to do Dragon Wars 2 for him.

Just like when he asked those people to do a new Battle Chess for him using Kickstarter (and it failed) r00fles!
You're probably right - I was just clinging to the hope that they could do this independently.
:negative:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Jaquays is the real deal - she did some really classic stuff in the PnP RPG field (both adventure design and art) and has a nice old-school art style:

When he worked at id Software in the Q3 three days he'd reply with long, in-depth emails regarding level design and answer all kinds of technical questions. He really was involved with the community. He also published in Dragon magazine, made adventure modules, is an artist and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't remember. Maybe someone else can dig up his list of accomplishments. Was there a Matt Chat interview with her? I'll have to go look again. I think there was.

Really a great guy (or gal as the case may be).

Found it:

Matt Chat 153: Jennell Jaquays on The Dungeoneer and Great RPG Characters

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This is going to be awesome. Trannies, classic RPG's, giant (delusional) egos, it has it all. This conflict, this itch to outdo the other will catapult both games into "timeless classic" territory. This is my prediction!

Alchemist

Arcane
When he worked at id Software in the Q3 three days he'd reply with long, in-depth emails regarding level design and answer all kinds of technical questions. He really was involved with the community. He also published in Dragon magazine, made adventure modules, is an artist and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't remember. Maybe someone else can dig up his list of accomplishments. Was there a Matt Chat interview with her? I'll have to go look again. I think there was.

Really a great guy (or gal as the case may be).

Found it:

Matt Chat 153: Jennell Jaquays on The Dungeoneer and Great RPG Characters

Here's another interview with Jennell that might be of interest to some. It's on the "Save or Die" classic D&D podcast:
http://saveordie.info/?p=1047

EDIT: Interview starts at 35 minutes in - if you don't want to wade through random banter and email responses.

Last edited:

pippin

This is going to be awesome. Trannies, classic RPG's, giant (delusional) egos, it has it all. This conflict, this itch to outdo the other will catapult both games into "timeless classic" territory. This is my prediction!

Well, that's an accurate description of Ultima 2 (or 3?).
Anyway, it would be fun if they can't name the game Dragon Wars and are forced to name it something like Winged Lizard Conflict

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anyway, it would be fun if they can't name the game Dragon Wars and are forced to name it something like Winged Lizard Conflict

If this is Interplay Herve's scheme (of which I bet it is) they can use the name Dragon Wars with no problems. He owns the IP.

Alchemist

Arcane
I'll just leave these here for further analysis and discussion:
uhrjMbH.png

VZyTtqc.png

She's very much trying to steal Fargo's thunder here - it's obvious now.

Battle of the blobbers incoming!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One of the greatest cRPGs of all time, imo, and the first one I ever played, back in '89. But I agree with Octavius - don't really trust her art style. I live in abject anxiety that Becky would do it in anime style. The way her mind thinks in how she approaches the concept of non-linear game design is pretty awesome though. Looking forward to this. But let us pray, brothers & sisters, that this won't be Sailor Moon & the Dragon of Nippon Whispers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some more fun from Becky here: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9586

The three games shipped by InXile with the 2004 game "A Quest for Coin and Cleavage" (Seriously?) are the ones I wrote which are the Apple IIgs versions of Bard's Tale I and Bard's Tale II and the Apple ][ version of Bard's Tale III. I would actually use that as the basis for an updated windows/linux/mac/ios/whatever native version. Although, I'd use my unfinished Bard's Tale III for the Apple IIgs version to do an updated version since it has the better graphics and is based on the Dragon Wars engine. To release them, all I need is a license. I can easily put them up for sale on the Olde Skuul steam page.
icon_e_smile.gif

What's the matter, Infinitron? inXile defense protocol initiated?
Don't worry, I'm sure she doesn't see any compensation from the sales of games she worked on. GOG and inXile deserve that so much more.

Norfleet

There is something deeply weird about her face. I can't put my finger on it, there's something deeply wrong and uncanny-valley about it. That creepy expression does not help. Who is she and why is she significant?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

icon_e_smile.gif

What's the matter, Infinitron? inXile defense protocol initiated?
Don't worry, I'm sure she doesn't see any compensation from the sales of games she worked on. GOG and inXile deserve that so much more.

More like the "Disdain at Passive-Aggressive Panhandling on a Competitor's Forum" protocol.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jaquays is the real deal - she did some really classic stuff in the PnP RPG field (both adventure design and art) and has a nice old-school art style:
The reason I have confidence in the project is that everything I own by Jaquays has been top notch stuff.
  • The early adventure modules published in The Dungeoneer and through Judges Guild are masterpieces of dungeon design, with a very strong 3D element and inventive, non-standard encounters. They are regarded as classics among fans of traditional RPGs.
  • The Runequest publications helped flesh out the background for one of D&D's main competitors (CRPG players might know its world through The King of Dragon Pass), and again, the adventure modules are known for their combination of local cultural variety, evocative locations, and solid encounter design.
  • Her work at TSR was mainly as an artist, but the few adventures she wrote (outside the joke Castle Greyhawk) are, again, very good (although not well known due to their low print runs).
  • Dunno about her work on 3D games, but apparently, her levels are well laid out and very good at using the Z axis.
That makes her one of the few people among game designers I would consider absolutely qualified to remake Dragon Wars.

WRT the trans angle, she has been surprisingly normal about it (although she was known as a deeply conservative Christian before she switched teams, which makes you wonder...).
I really really wouldn't put her in the same box as the Tumblr squad.

Heineman, though, seems like a liability. But we will see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom