Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
GTA V wasn't downgraded
Of course it wasn't
gtav.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Too bad the game won't look like that at all.

Witcher 3 was supposed to look like that also, but R did not show bullshot trailer with GTA V, it looked the same as on trailers, and they are making this without last gen consoles, maybe that's why.

The environment looks awesome, but the character models look like from last gen, that's an indication that maybe this is real.

Stella Brando

Arcane
This is what I guess is in all the missing areas...

missing_map_areas.jpg

What do you guys think is immediately to the south of the new map? I'm having a little trouble visualizing this part of the world.

I assume that the Lannahachee (i.e. Mississippi) River continues south to the Gulf of Mexico, or it's equivalent. So what's on either bank?

To the west, it looks like Mexico might continue all the way up to Flat Iron Lake. But wouldn't that put it to far north? It would be weird to stand in Mexico be able to see over the lake all the way to the plains.

Maybe it's Texas - the state has already been part of two countries and a republic, it wouldn't be too outrageous to stick it on the other side of the Rio Grande.

I'm guessing on the east bank we have the South. Maybe they'll eventually be a Southern Red Dead further exploring this area, during slavery times or the Civil War.

Likewise, the north-west of the map could have Utah (Mormons!), Nevada, Oregon, Washington, etc, all appearing in a later game. Maybe even California or Canada.

It would be cool if they spent four games filling out the four corners of the world and then released a game covering the entire Wild West.

Last edited:

Stella Brando

Arcane
What states do you think are covered by the new map?

Dcr0ntv.jpg

-- I'd say the mountainous areas (the Grizzlies) are the Rockies in western Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.

-- The Heartlands plains likely represent the huge area from eastern Montana and North Dakota all the way down to Oklahoma or Texas. You know, the Great Plains in real life.

- I recall someone comparing the Cumberland Forest to the Black Hills. Although the black hills aren't as big as shown on this map, I think it's a great idea.

If you know your history, the Black Hills were a major point of contention between white gold miners and the Sioux who regarded them sacred, leading to Little Big Horn and the death of Custer. They're also where Deadwood was located. So if we're seeing a game with more attention to the Indians, I hope the hills are referenced.

-- The Bayou Nwa area is obviously Louisiana. Does the Nwa mean N****** With Attitude, or the "Die N'wah!" insult from Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? Only time will tell.

-- I'm not sure about Roanake Ridge. Some mountains just west of the Mississippi? The Ozarks? I feel like something is needed here because going directly from river valley to plains doesn't quite work.

-- Scarlet Meadows is confusing too. The name makes me think of Blue Grass Country, but that's out in Kentucky.

-- The Lannahachee River can only really be the Mississippi. I think stuff east of Old Muddy (do people really say this?) will stay off the map.

Likewise, I feel states west of the Rockies, will not appear. Although Rockstar likes to move stuff around I'll think the Rockies and Mississippi will stay in vaguely the right place, to prevent people coming totally confused.

On a grand scale, the major difference between the Rockstar's west and the real one is the Grizzlies running North East to South West. In reality the Rockies are more NE to SW. If you flipped this axis and put a huge lake around where Texas used to be you would have something like the new RDR map.

Where is Gragt? I miss him.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Too bad the game won't look like that at all.

Is there any evidence that Rockstar has touched up/faked their footage before? All their previous game footage was aligned with actual ingame graphics. They don't have time for stupid shit like downgrades or defrauding consumers with PC Devkit assets. Looks pretty legit to me for a console game.

Ash

Arcane
Gun > Red Dead Revolver > Red Dead Redemption.

Redemption has too much banal shit. Vast empty plains filled with nothing of interest. A fistful of banal missions (follow the dog. 20 times!). Listening to NPCs ramble shit that is only partially interesting every damn mission while forced to move at their slow ass pace as per standard R*. OP deadeye auto aim garbage that may be acceptable if it didn't refill extremely frequently.

The best western TPS is Gun, I declare. Don't argue otherwise unless you've played it.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah I know people/the masses want to play Declinerim. It's shit, and thankfully the codex is one of few places where the majority recognize that..

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Couldn't you scalp hookers in GUN? GOTYAY 11/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom