Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Ezekiel

Arcane
Motherfucker... Bear in front of us, black guy suggests going around. I go to the side, yells at me, "Come on, let's stay together!" Go back to him. "Let's cut up here. Up the trail." That's where I went!

And even though my horse dies a couple of yards from the camp very suddenly when I try to explore on my own, they hitch them out in the storm (no shelter) before taking the deer inside.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Control, the last game I finished, was such a different experience. Photorealistic graphics and high AAA production values as well, but the game never took control away from me like all these movie games. Like, she didn't suddenly start walking slowly every couple of minutes so that the game could highlight something story-related the developer wanted you to see. I don't even find the story of Control that special or good, abundance of audio logs and journals was stupid, but at least I fucking played it, even when I explored the weird.

She moved efficiently, wasn't an old, fat piece of shit lumbering through every animation. I could swap shoulders all the time, not just when zooming in with the aim button, so wasn't blinded when I moved around corners. The default speed wasn't fucking walk, because it's a video game, not some shitty life simulator. When I did want to explore a place calmly, I could slow to a walk with left Alt. It wasn't forced upon me. The dodge was very functional, straightforward, could be used in any position, unlike this overcomplicated mess here.

Just occurred to me that they disabled shoulder swapping outside of aiming/zooming in because they expect you to use the sticky cover system a lot. Pathetic!

Still I hear people say Arthur Morgan is really well played.

I knew the actor sounded nothing like him, because it's really forced, the voice, like he overcompensated to make him manlier. It's a comical voice. I don't like the character.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Uh. Control had two hours of noninteractive cutscenes.
Red Dead has a higher ratio PLUS, the biggest sin, creeps into the gameplay every step of the way. In Control you just freely explore an area, but Red Dead needs to hold your hand constantly so that you proceed exactly where the scripted events want you to in the open world. It's why even old Metal Gear Solid games are less movie game than the modern shit. The gameplay was left alone, was very open.

pqt

Literate
Does all of that matter? In the end they make a game that even an idiot who hates the game bought it twice.
Yeah keep giving bad companies your money so they make more bad games. That's a circle.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I sold the PS4 version for about 45 dollars, as I recall. PC version isn't a total waste of money, but mediocre at best. psnprofiles tells me I completed "Enter, Pursued by a Memory," the second main story mission. 20 dollars two years after the PC version came out was little enough that I don't feel like I'm supporting them in a meaningful way. Though I bought the PS4 version new, the person I sold it to didn't, so it evens out. But, yeah, the controls that are ass on PC are horrendous with a controller. You are pretty much forced to use the auto-aim mode on consoles, which I've hated in Rockstar's games ever since they introduced what they call Free Aim. Even in the original Red Dead Redemption I didn't use Soft Lock. But combat, aiming with a controller and moving around, is somehow much worse in the sequel than how I remember RDR on PS3.

Last edited:
Is the first RDR worth playing at all? It runs well on Xenia now.

I hated RDR2 btw, it put me to sleep.

No, not really, it’s not really good either.

Red Dead Redemption does some things better than this sequel, but just because it does them better doesn’t mean it does them well. Redemption is one of those kinds of game where you play it and you think: This has potential, I hope the sequel fleshes out this and that and actually makes them good in the next game. The problem is this game didn’t do that in many areas. That said though, the open world aspect of this game you can fuck around with when you’re not dealing with the on-rails bullshit story missions...that stuff is better than the first game.

As an example, there’s the Bounty Hunting missions in Red Dead Redemption. Now, these are better than the Bounty Hunting missions in RDR2, given there’s some gameplay to them, but they also aren’t good either. Ideally the Bounty jobs in a RDR2 would’ve been something like the average mission in MGSV, where you have to infiltrate some compound to get a target dead or alive. Because that’s what the Bounty missions in RDR want to be; it’s just they’re a super basic version of that, that just unfold as fairly boring cover shooter shooting gallery sections in some mostly uninteresting areas.

From a purely gameplay standpoint I’d say Red Dead Revolver is a better game than Red Dead Redemption. Shooting felt better in Revolver, and the quick draw system I want to say I remember thinking was better. It’s been a long time since I’ve played either, but I do still remember that at the time I thought the shooting felt worse from Revolver to Redemption. And Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare is a more fun game than normal default Red Dead Redemption since it doesn’t have all that fat that goes nowhere; it’s more a pure straightforward action from what I remember.

Revolver is also funny in that, that game has the best character designs of the whole series. That stuff was done while the game was still under Capcom, (as a successor to Gun.Smoke) and Capcom’s Akira “Akiman” Yasuda was the character designer on that game. Even all these years later in Red Dead Redemption 2 you can still see takes on Akiman’s Revolver character designs...you can really see it in the first Redemption game.

The actual shooting might also be better in Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s just Redemption 1 isn’t as fucking annoying about keeping you exactly in the specific place it wants you to be during missions. The first Redemption is also more video gamy in some fun way. Trains take so fucking long to come around in 2 you probably aren’t going to be roping people and leaving them on train tracks like people would do in the first game.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Where is the slow run? I can't believe there is only walk, full run and sprint. The walk makes me irrationally angry.

BruceVC

Magister
Where is the slow run? I can't believe there is only walk, full run and sprint. The walk makes me irrationally angry.
That sounds like an arbitrary thing to complain about but Im glad you playing RDR2, thats all that matters

I dont think there is a slow walk but you can crouch and that lets you walk slower. I still play RDR2 single player even though I completed the game about 2 years ago. I use John Marston and mods, its such a beautiful world and I like to do bounty hunter quests and I ensure my wanted level is $1500 which means I sometimes get US Marshals and Bounty Hunters after me ....I like to slaughter them :salute:

Ezekiel

Arcane
That sounds like an arbitrary thing to complain about but Im glad you playing RDR2, thats all that matters

I dont think there is a slow walk but you can crouch and that lets you walk slower. I still play RDR2 single player even though I completed the game about 2 years ago. I use John Marston and mods, its such a beautiful world and I like to do bounty hunter quests and I ensure my wanted level is $1500 which means I sometimes get US Marshals and Bounty Hunters after me ....I like to slaughter them :salute:
No, I said slow RUN. Not walk; run. The default movement present in almost every third person game since the '90s. I hate this binary awfulness of only walk and full run, all to feel more authentic. Because in real life you rarely run. Fuck off, Rockstar.

orcinator

Liturgist
And Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare is a more fun game than normal default Red Dead Redemption since it doesn’t have all that fat that goes nowhere; it’s more a pure straightforward action from what I remember.
I watched parts of that on youtub to see what all the fuss is about and it looked awful, shitty boring zombies and the guy playing just walked up and executed them when he felt like it.

BruceVC

Magister
And Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare is a more fun game than normal default Red Dead Redemption since it doesn’t have all that fat that goes nowhere; it’s more a pure straightforward action from what I remember.
I watched parts of that on youtub to see what all the fuss is about and it looked awful, shitty boring zombies and the guy playing just walked up and executed them when he felt like it.
I installed all the Zombie mods for about 2 months and initially it was fun but the Zombies completely destroy the immersive and functional way the world works

For example they attack and kill NPC's and they spawn everywhere so when you go to towns like Blackwater the shops are closed and you end up just fighting Zombies. It sounds fun but it gets tiresome quickly

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's true. The "video game jog" is a staple.

Ezekiel are you playing with M+K or controller? I bet if you use an analog controller you'll have much finer control over ambulation speed. I hate that games screw M+K players like that but I don't make the rules.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Put in a little more time, now at five and half hours. Jesus Christ, Morgan is a woman. To talk and whine so much about shit that doesn't matter. I don't care about all these characters he gossips about with people he rides with. This is not a western. As I said, western stories were much more visual. The characters mostly kept their mouths shut. Men generally keep their problems and complaints to themselves. They don't act like this. It's considered unattractive. And I hate the way he talks. It's so fake, so excessively charmless.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
It's true. The "video game jog" is a staple.

Ezekiel are you playing with M+K or controller? I bet if you use an analog controller you'll have much finer control over ambulation speed. I hate that games screw M+K players like that but I don't make the rules.
I sold the PS4 version after only a couple of hours when it came out because I thought it played like shit with a controller, particularly the combat.

Fargus

Arcane
I prefer to hunt in this game and just fuck around. I love shooting stuff and lynching negroes with a mod. And i enjoyed exploring the land. Game is impressive when you look at all the details the devs bothered to add, there are many videos that showcase this well. But the story will probably disappoint anyone who isnt into soapy shit. It only gets worse after some point and there is some woke cringe too that looks ridiculous given the setting.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morgan is such a two-faced asshole too. He robs, murders, but woe is me, the gov is evil - why are they hunting me! I'm a man on the road to redemption, god dammit! Also, he keeps complaining about his life as a bandit, but he does absolutely nothing about it. He knows his leader is false, he knows their crew is fucked, and that lifestyle is not something desirable, but still, he goes along with everything. It's frustrating, the Marston story was so much better. Even the epilogue was miles better than the main story.

Then we have all the progressive things that Fargus mentions, It gets a bit much.

pickmeister

Learned
Couldn't last more than two hours. Why does everyone talk like a retar..such a battle hardened cowboy I mean?

The voice actors sound like they were rehearsing for a satire.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I prefer to hunt in this game and just fuck around. I love shooting stuff and lynching negroes with a mod. And i enjoyed exploring the land. Game is impressive when you look at all the details the devs bothered to add, there are many videos that showcase this well. But the story will probably disappoint anyone who isnt into soapy shit. It only gets worse after some point and there is some woke cringe too that looks ridiculous given the setting.
I can't stand the simulation, but that just highlights the problem in trying to merge simulation with drama and action-adventure. Nobody wants to watch Jeremiah Johnson cook every piece of rabbit or maintain his core or see every step he SLOWLY takes over that mountain in a 100 hour version of the movie. And people who really are into simulators (I am not.) probably don't want their experience hampered by all the scripted scenarios and forced drama. You can't have both. Pick one.

Fargus

Arcane
I suggest trying GUN, a 2005 game. Short, sweet, action packed and fun wild west action adventure game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom