Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red flags in videos/streams

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
It's 3am, you're looking for a guide on where to find that item you want in a From soft game. You search a guide to it's location on youtube and.. The female character has a tiny waist, huge tits and ass with red hair. You know it's the guy's fetish and he's using the game to jerk off between video making. Usually running around in the skimpiest outfit ever and using either a meta giant weapon or broken magic. Always gives me the creeps and it's almost constant in the guides/tutorial region of youtube.

What are your red flags for gaming related characters or videos/streams?

Cologno

Educated
Ukraine flags, rainbows, anime girls (broad, I know), meme shit, ASMR, short-length vids from producers with high sub counts (algo cowboys riding trends). Frankly, sub counts exceeding 50k make me leary anymore. That seems to be the magical number when they become "influencers".

El Presidente

Arcane
- Won't click these thumbnails:
775.jpg

- Youtuber screams instead of talk: immediately close tab

- Youtuber dyes his armor with colors that will make your eyes bleed and his character looks like a shiny mess like this:
BipdmMR.jpeg

- If I have to skip 3 minutes of "don't forget to click the bell to receive a notification for my newest videos" to reach the content I clicked for I already want to close the tab

- For longer streams/let's plays (which to be honest I don't watch, but) I dislike "atmosphere ruiners". No need to LARP around, walk instead of run, holster weapon and so on, I don't care for any of that but I also dislike when the guy essentially plays like it's a speedrun when it isn't. Guy enters like the "Supreme holy temple of the Gods" for the first time in the playthrough, moody gregorian music starts playing, and then he immediately starts rolling and dashing to the quest like a maniac. The kind of people that would enter Anor Londo for the first time and wouldn't waste 1 single second looking at the sky/vista, just adjust the camera to face the floor and start rolling and running for le content. Yeah no thanks. If I wanted to watch autism I'd just stare at the mirror.

Beastro

Arcane
I can't honestly think of any because I'm so picky and have stuck to the same LPers that are still going from over 12 years ago that I know which have kept to just putting out the old style goods.

I don't care about videos where I'm specifically looking up a particular thing, because I want to be in and out.

Wasteland

Novice
It's 3am, you're looking for a guide on where to find that item you want in a From soft game. You search a guide to it's location on youtube and.. The female character has a tiny waist, huge tits and ass with red hair. You know it's the guy's fetish and he's using the game to jerk off between video making. Usually running around in the skimpiest outfit ever and using either a meta giant weapon or broken magic. Always gives me the creeps and it's almost constant in the guides/tutorial region of youtube.

What are your red flags for gaming related characters or videos/streams?
lol, good point.

The vast majority of youtube videos are just far too long, even if they miraculously avoid the usual self-promotional asides. ("Buy my merch!" Yeah, sure buddy, now that you mention it, of course I want to pay $30 for the privilege of wearing the logo of an obscure smelly nerd's youtube channel, blazoned on a t-shirt that cost $0.13 to make in a Chinese sweat shop.) And 9 times out of 10, the answers the video provides are just regurgitated from a forum post or reddit, anyway. On that note, I think my favorite sub-genre of youtube "gaming" content are the guys who simply read patch notes on air.

Youtube as a whole platform has become extremely cringey over the last few years. The smell of desperation on these people hangs thick in a way that it didn't used to, and the extent to which they blatantly disrespect their viewers' time--in terms of the pacing of the videos themselves, and the deluge of misleading clickbait titles/thumbnails advertising them--has gone to plaid. It's pretty insulting.

Unfortunately search engines have gotten worse over the same span, and with so many people chasing the dream of youtube stardom, good text-based answers can be hard to find.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I don't really consult youtube for help with games and I don't watch them until I am familiar with the game myself and by that point I can tell their experience level and if I want to listen to them.

Most of the time I enjoy watching somebody else's opinion about the game after I have finished playing it, just to see what other people think about it.

Maybe this is why to this day I haven't watched a single youtube video about starfield lol

Britbong 10-hour video game analysis

This is the story of (dramatic pause).... SHIGERU MIYAMOTO

Is it? Shut up [redacted]

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Rolling ads after starting the video. "Today, I'm going to show you guys how to beat Elden Ring with only a torch and while permanently poisoned. But first, let me tell you about some gay ass war game you've never heard of." Barry Allen can't close the tab as quickly.

"I am reading a script written weeks ago" delivery. I know a lot of people don't like 'umms' and 'uhhs' and 'he was likes' in their videos, but sloppy and engaging beats dry and professional every time. It helps that script regurgitators overlap with guys writing twelve hour college dissertations.

ADD editing. I'm fine with cutaway gags (I own more than half of Family Guy on dvd), but I've noticed over the last few years that the pace of memes or gags inserted into videos is increasing to an absurd degree, made worse by the fact that 90% of the people who edit in this style have an incredibly limited pool of references. Stop me if you've heard this one: British guy saying "Nice", Critical with his arms outstretched, "What the fuck did you say to me you little shit!?", "Damn son, where'd you find those?", Parks and Rec dude throwing his computer in the trash, Walter White with his face in the dirt. This is all in the first twenty seconds of the video, mind you.

Embarrassing attempts at creative swearing. "You know I'm balls deep in the Elden Ring torch only run, because now I'm up against the Godskin duo and these bastards are tougher than a coal miner's asshole after five-alarm chili day at the whorehouse." It's the kind of content that makes you think that if Elvis were still alive, he'd shoot computers instead of televisions.

Sunri

Liturgist
video niggas must eat Today's post is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends, one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I would say "weird and ugly mutant player characters" but that would out 99,99% (with 3 percent margin of error) Dork Sulz video makers.
Like - I get it that once you put the helmet on their face will be covered, but why bother with misshaping them on purpose?

beardalaxy

Novice
Sponsor Block saves my ass sometimes skipping all the sponsors, intros, etc.
In tandem, Return YouTube Dislike also helps avoid bad advice.
I never stick around on videos that have AI or TTS voices.
A green flag is when the video is very short, so I know it'll be to the point and tell me exactly what I need to know. If it takes me longer to watch your video than it would for me to look up a text guide, it's too long.

Just Locus

Educated
Video game critics
- saying "Really?!" after stating something badly worded as some poor attempt at humor (as if they aren't the ones writing the script).
- Piano music
- Summarizing wiki articles
- Going "The game ain't so bad" after 9 hours of criticism
- Aiming for a certain video length rather than trying to stay concise.
- Titling their video "The greatest game you haven't played..."/"The greatest game you shouldn't play..." (usually this is for games that have been played to death)
- 1+ hours of regurgitating other people's opinions on a video game in some vain attempt at farming engagement without understanding why those people share those opinions.
- Titling their videos "This game is underrated..." with a widely hated game on the thumbnail as a form of clickbait.
- Titling their videos "[Insert Game here] in [Insert current year]"

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
The vast majority of youtube videos are just far too long, even if they miraculously avoid the usual self-promotional asides. ("Buy my merch!" Yeah, sure buddy, now that you mention it, of course I want to pay $30 for the privilege of wearing the logo of an obscure smelly nerd's youtube channel, blazoned on a t-shirt that cost $0.13 to make in a Chinese sweat shop.)
You can buy those shirts for 1/20th the cost of having a logo put on them. Gildan aren't bad quality and considering they cost like ÂŁ2 each they're mighty fine child labour!
Youtube as a whole platform has become extremely cringey over the last few years. The smell of desperation on these people hangs thick in a way that it didn't used to, and the extent to which they blatantly disrespect their viewers' time--in terms of the pacing of the videos themselves, and the deluge of misleading clickbait titles/thumbnails advertising them--has gone to plaid. It's pretty insulting.
You don't enjoy 3 hours reading plot descriptions from items!? How much of this stuff is literal background noise now and no one does anything but sleep to it or ignore it? The internet used to be something you did. Now it's just there, invading evetything.
Most of the time I enjoy watching somebody else's opinion about the game after I have finished playing it, just to see what other people think about it.
Then spend 2 weeks telling them they're wrong because Starfield is GOTY!
ADD editing. I'm fine with cutaway gags (I own more than half of Family Guy on dvd), but I've noticed over the last few years that the pace of memes or gags inserted into videos is increasing to an absurd degree, made worse by the fact that 90% of the people who edit in this style have an incredibly limited pool of references. Stop me if you've heard this one: British guy saying "Nice", Critical with his arms outstretched, "What the fuck did you say to me you little shit!?", "Damn son, where'd you find those?", Parks and Rec dude throwing his computer in the trash, Walter White with his face in the dirt. This is all in the first twenty seconds of the video, mind you.
I fucking hate and I do mean hate all the stock images and clips thrown in now. There's no need for any of it and it's always ugly niggers. I wonder if it's the editors being lazy and grabbing the first stock image or editors intentionally picking those ones and the video 'creators' not caring or noticing it's always niggers.
Embarrassing attempts at creative swearing. "You know I'm balls deep in the Elden Ring torch only run, because now I'm up against the Godskin duo and these bastards are tougher than a coal miner's asshole after five-alarm chili day at the whorehouse." It's the kind of content that makes you think that if Elvis were still alive, he'd shoot computers instead of televisions.
I hate watching pokemon challenge videos and the host will swear and beep it out. If you know some of your audience is kids don't swear. Don't beep it out. Just filter your language or mark it for adults only and don't beep.
I would say "weird and ugly mutant player characters" but that would out 99,99% (with 3 percent margin of error) Dork Sulz video makers.
Like - I get it that once you put the helmet on their face will be covered, but why bother with misshaping them on purpose?
That's one of my favourite bits of a souls game TBH. Yesterday I started a new character and died twice. Climbed down a ladder and turned to get a drink, when I looked back I had the face full screened and basically jump scared myself. It was well worth the 5 minutes I spent messing with sliders to make a freak show.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Imagine watching other people play video games.

If it takes me longer to watch your video than it would for me to look up a text guide, it's too long.
Which is all videos since you can't search them. Video guides are a retarded concept.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Which is all videos since you can't search them. Video guides are a retarded concept.
Plenty of games have difficult to find items that text can't accurately describe. Even maps some times can't portray it. You can search videos, there's a time bar for skipping around, which is no different to flicking through books.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Plenty of games have difficult to find items that text can't accurately describe. Even maps some times can't portray it. You can search videos, there's a time bar for skipping around, which is no different to flicking through books.
Bullshit. Nothing cannot be described better with text + images than it can with a video. It just takes more effort to make useful diagrams than just recording yourself stumble about.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Bullshit. Nothing cannot be described better with text + images than it can with a video. It just takes more effort to make useful diagrams than just recording yourself stumble about.
Autism. Video is objectively a superior guide format for active mediums

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
text was, is and always will be the superior method of communicating ideas.

why watch a stupid video when you can just google "where is X in game" and have the answer in 1.2 seconds

meanwhile youtube junkies weren't even able to skip their first ad yet

- whiny/nerd voice and uptalk. They're annoying and I've noticed that those people generally have nothing to say.
- I don't like detailed personal anecdotes about when they were kids. Is this about the game or yourself?
- rambling monotone. Even that Mandalore guy is too much for me, but he's not the worst.
- walkthroughs disguised as reviews (usually by the ramblers). See the Warlockracy guy, who occasionally makes a good point but I'm not going to watch an hour of "content" for some insight that would get 2 brofists in a Codex forum post.
- SJWism. I don't get exposed to it much, as I pre-select against annoying voices.
- Disgusting people in general, like trannies. Their ugliness manifests in everything they do and nothing could make it worth watching.
- Zoomer style constant visual spam like that guy with the exercise ball who made the video about Rockstar. Basically a 2 brofist forum post turned into a circus show. But zoomzooms can't get enough of that shit.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I like you Vic, I don't think you're a faggot Bethesda fanboy at all.

Please tell me how sarcastic I was being in this post. If text is the superior communication method you should be able to understand my emotional state while writing this post. Or it's an inferior communication medium outside of long term preservation because it cannot express emotion the way saying a single word can.
meanwhile youtube junkies weren't even able to skip their first ad yet
Ad block. Haven't seen an ad in years.
- Zoomer style constant visual spam like that guy with the exercise ball who made the video about Rockstar. Basically a 2 brofist forum post turned into a circus show. But zoomzooms can't get enough of that shit.
Why do Zoomers want to make loud annoying noises in their videos so much? What is fun about blowing someone's ears out when you're not even there to witness it?

ds

Cipher
Patron
I like you Vic, I don't think you're a faggot Bethesda fanboy at all.

Please tell me how sarcastic I was being in this post. If text is the superior communication method you should be able to understand my emotional state while writing this post. Or it's an inferior communication medium outside of long term preservation because it cannot express emotion the way saying a single word can.
If you think you need to convey sarcasm or emotions to show where an item is hidden then you might be a woman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom