Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A brave new (clown) world.

Looks laughably terrible, as expected. Every aspect of this turd could be made by a middling AI, it's that generic.

Can you at least play as the vamps to gorge on zoomer blood?

New trailer dropped.

I fucking hate it.

Is there a word for this phenomenon where new media is just a jumbled mix of bad hip hop beats, quirky characters, bright colors for clothes and weapons, and a thick sheen of shit over everything?

It's been fortnighted. Everything's fortnighted now.

I'm going to ramble. I've said this before and I'll say it again, every form of media these days seem to follow this trend of pure unadulterated cringe and weakness. You could argue that video games are mostly made by nerds, but looking back before all the clownery began, you can see that developers tried and succeeded many times in creating games that had grit, virility, potency, intensity, even past decline games had it, before all this shit began. It's the culture of "chill bro", lo-fi, nothing can be taken seriously and my absolute favorite is the cringe dialogue à la Joss Whedon. It encompasses everything, from artstyle, aesthetics, dialogue even to how the goddamn mechanics work. Compare games like Quake, 1.6, Unreal to how GAY Overwatch, Fortnite and Valorant looks, you can't tell me none of you see it.

Instead of this game having some Arkane DNA and letting the player have player-agency in how they tackle each situation which could be different and could require some creativity, it's just another Borderlands where people are going to powergame the hell out of it and find the highest DPS weapon to do big numbers and kill things the fastest way possible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

New trailer dropped.

I fucking hate it.

Is there a word for this phenomenon where new media is just a jumbled mix of bad hip hop beats, quirky characters, bright colors for clothes and weapons, and a thick sheen of shit over everything?

I'm going to ramble. I've said this before and I'll say it again, every form of media these days seem to follow this trend of pure unadulterated cringe and weakness. You could argue that video games are mostly made by nerds, but looking back before all the clownery began, you can see that developers tried and succeeded many times in creating games that had grit, virility, potency, intensity, even past decline games had it, before all this shit began. It's the culture of "chill bro", lo-fi, nothing can be taken seriously and my absolute favorite is the cringe dialogue à la Joss Whedon. It encompasses everything, from artstyle, aesthetics, dialogue even to how the goddamn mechanics work. Compare games like Quake, 1.6, Unreal to how GAY Overwatch, Fortnite and Valorant looks, you can't tell me none of you see it.

Instead of this game having some Arkane DNA and letting the player have player-agency in how they tackle each situation which could be different and could require some creativity, it's just another Borderlands where people are going to powergame the hell out of it and find the highest DPS weapon to do big numbers and kill things the fastest way possible.

I think it's called "we're not the primary audience anymore."

And you know what, it was better when we were the desired audience.

New trailer dropped.

I fucking hate it.

I think it's called "we're not the primary audience anymore."

And you know what, it was better when we were the desired audience.

100%. It's just amazing how it shifted this quick within our lifetime. We definitely need independent developers to keep the torch lit, because I don't see AAA ever catering to our tastes.

sosmoflux

Educated
Remember when the AI bots in Unreal & Quake 3 would bully you?
Think about how problematic that would be these days

Ivan

Arcane
Remember when the AI bots in Unreal & Quake 3 would bully you?
Think about how problematic that would be these days
Doom Eternal did this and they got shit for it from softies. Glad to see the DLC three two of them at you at once

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Prey is very good but the last 30% or so was of a drastically lower quality.

I am interested in a sequel, although with the sequel hook they set up, I have no idea where they would actually set the game.

Slaver1

Savant
Some nice touches there with the blatant upside down cross and negress vampire adding an extra dose of post-modern decay to Clownworldia Left For Dead. The dead-eyed, medicated hordes who anticipate this title have already had their souls sucked out of them. Only sick and twisted beings not dissimilar to Dracula Shaneequa will be able to glean any satisfaction from a product such as this.

sosmoflux

Educated
Wasn't the worst trailer tbh
The levels of cringe were noticeably lower
I'm mostly surprised that they haven't been able to show a single gameplay moment that looks even remotely novel or interesting
Shooting
Press X to killing
Doing a jump on that stupid purple phone booth for no reason
They're so blatantly aiming for an audience that will never play the game they actually want to make but aren't

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom