Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The Half-Chink/Kraut of Prey didn't offend you either?
Don't think she leered off the promo materials, did she?

smugwtc5s.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This thread is mostly depressing.

In my (very stupid opinion) Redfall has all the elements of a good Far Cry-like in Arkane's style except it's so unlikable. Swap out the aesthetic for something actually dark and scary (instead of roflcopter fortnite look), the characters with actual normal people, and it'll probably be good.

Like, is it supposed to be scary? Is it funny? Is it Marvelesque?

all I'm getting from the trailer materials is that it's pandering to zoomers. Who, sorry to say, aren't gonna buy this game.

Gargaune

Arcane
Why are you dodging my question? The burden of proof is on you, since you are the one making up false statements. Show me exactly where Raph stated that Arkane is toast. That's complete fabrication. He left for personal reasons, and that's it.
Of course, personal reasons such as not wanting to stay on at a business he'd lost faith in. People don't just leave their own companies to "take a break" and then immediately start a new outfit, it's obvious Colantonio became dissatisfied under ZeniMax control by the end. Nor was it a case of simply wanting to go back to his roots with "small" games, because his roots are in Arx Fatalis, not little isometric arcade shooters. The guy can't just come out and trash his former colleagues and parent corporation, he's a seasoned professional, but you should be able to put two and two together.

Anyway, this thing looks like textbook zoomerite garbage, I look forward to it underperforming.
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

baba is you

Educated
Redfall has all the elements of a good Far Cry-like in Arkane's style except it's so unlikable.
I've read interviews where they've talked about being influenced by Farcry 2 and Stalker.
Farcry 2 and Stalker are not bad games, right? Most gamers at least recognize Farcry 2, and Stalker is an FPS, but it's more like a CRPG in terms of dungeons and quests.

I think if the game is developed with the right understanding of the game's strengths, it will be quite playable, but the death loop was too deadly. After Deathloop, my expectations from Arcane have definitely decreased.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Redfall has all the elements of a good Far Cry-like in Arkane's style except it's so unlikable.
I've read interviews where they've talked about being influenced by Farcry 2 and Stalker.
Farcry 2 and Stalker are not bad games, right? Most gamers at least recognize Farcry 2, and Stalker is an FPS, but it's more like a CRPG in terms of dungeons and quests.

I think if the game is developed with the right understanding of the game's strengths, it will be quite playable, but the death loop was too deadly. After Deathloop, my expectations from Arcane have definitely decreased.

Most people would probably recognize Far Cry 3 more than 2, which is in some ways a better game (jamming guns and wildfire spread are :obviously:), and in some ways not.

Looking through a walkthrough of Redfall, it definitely looks like the Far Cry comparisons are on point.

But I much prefer the realistic aesthetics and the relatively grounded writing of the Far Cry series (you're a merc, a tourist-turned-survivor, an American lol) compared to Redfall's quirky shlock.

What is this, a goddamn hero shooter?

ADL

Prophet
A friend of mine sold me his Redfall Bite Back Edition promo code included with his RTX 4080 for $20. If this is just Far Cry 6 with Arkane's level design with a less static world and better stealth I'll be happy with it. Gonna give this a shot though I will say, the negativity on this one might actually be deserved unlike Deathloop which was great (after the AI fix). Cope
rating_racist.png

While I don't like the tone they're going for in the trailers, Arkane has earned the benefit of the doubt and still highly capable of making great games. Bethesda's marketing team clearly don't know how to market their games, especially from Arkane. I'll never forget how they revealed Doom 2016 as a slow cinematic shooter.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
These horrible things Harvey Smith had to endure while making Redfall!!! The horror, my gosh. Wow!

I’ve been through everything on this project: a global pandemic, huge social upheaval, f**king Trump, insurrection, multiple ice storms that shut down the infrastructure of the city, murder hornets, the death of our beloved chairman and founder Ron Altman, the acquisition by Microsoft – I’ve been through everything. When you look at what the Redfall team has overcome, it’s astounding.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/redfall/starfield-underdog

Here he is measuring all these very real and very profound events that made the game of Redfall so difficult to make.

harvey_smith.jpg

But you know what guys? They really pulled through. It shows in just how likeable this zany cast of characters is. I can't wait to pick out between the sassy with attitude afro headed black chick that everyone can identify with, the mexican mutt with an english name, the oh so hot italian spanish mediterranian portuguese guy, or the dwarf faced big dicked ultra strong (white?) female.

Good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom