Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
YAS KWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN SLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

CyberModuled

Arbiter

I genuinely have to ask how many fucking veterans at Arkane Austin did Raphael take with him to WolfEye? The shooting, the AI, the lack of feedback, the Destiny esque UI, and the very mediocre visuals and aesthetics genuinely makes me wonder why Microsoft didn't just cancel this project when they had an earlier version of the game inherited after the Bethesda buyout.

Probably not an opinion a lot of people will agree with here, but I'm okay with Arkane making more action focused games so long as they're engaging (I enjoyed Deathloop and even if it has a lot more RPG elements to it, Dark Messiah is more enjoyable if you are playing it like a combat focused playground compared to the extremely limited stealth or ranged options provided in its skill tree and levels) but this just looks like complete dogshit for a shooter. Can somebody please make sure Harvey Smith never gets to direct or have leadership involvement with a video game again, the guy clearly has no fucking idea what he's doing and his involvement with the original Deus Ex was a fluke at this point.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
everyone2.jpg

Can somebody please make sure Harvey Smith never gets to direct or have leadership involvement with a video game again, the guy clearly has no fucking idea what he's doing and his involvement with the original Deus Ex was a fluke at this point.

What do you mean? When I see Redfall I am immediately reminded of Deus Ex's animation quality.

toughasnails

There is an immature and especially egoistical form of desperation wherein one projects one's own despairing condition onto the universe. Having no hope, seeing no light within or without oneself, one makes such a state into an absolute. Now what makes this so immature and egotistical is that one then seeks validation of this theory of one's and draws satisfaction from its confirmation. One draws nourishment from negation: suffering of others, failure, decay, decline... One laments it on surface but closer examination reveals such motivations, one enjoys this as it comfortably supports one's position. One then has no need for any effort of one's own then after all.
Now such motivations may be operative in us without us being explicitly conscious of them, same goes for every ostensibly critical attitude. Hence the need for conscientious self-examination: behind my insistent affirmations of the inevitable failure of an upcoming title, is there perhaps something else that is being obliquely spoken out through them? Such as my own condition as, for example, unmarried, unemployed or unsatisfactorily employed, sexually frustrated, nerd in their 30s, 40s, 50s, with no open future before one but rather only a horizon of the repetition of one's condition followed by constant entropy, ending in the final insult - death - without anything left behind oneself.

I genuinely have to ask how many fucking veterans at Arkane Austin did Raphael take with him to WolfEye?
None of note? Given what a bland mediocrity Weird West turned out to be in the end.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Meet the Heroes of Redfall: Jacob Boyer. An ex-military sharpshooter turned private contractor. An encounter with a vampire god left Jacob with a mysterious vampiric eye, a spectral raven that’s never far from his side, and a ghostly sniper rifle.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno what is worse about the IGN video, that it was outsourced to the IGN reporter little brother or if his little brother despite being awful, still managed to defeat the "hardest" boss in the game that you are supposedly to run from.

gameplay from someone with thumbs, or at least 1 more thumb than the IGN player. Singleplayer because according to Arkane guy, "if I let you play multiplayer you'll run around like a bunch of hyenas killing everything and you won't get a feel for the tone of the game". Which is a pretty strange thing to say since it implies MP isn't the intended experience, so I'm guessing it's marketing speak for "MP isn't ready yet". (video is from a few weeks ago)

"Felt like Borderlands style combat mechanics and layout. Bumpers do powers, running and sliding like you'd expect"

"It's not like Back 4 Blood at all, it's like Far Cry"

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
this coulda been cool if it went for a darker/horror tone, not this zoom zoom cartoony shit

Yeah, imagine if you got to choose from various Van Helsing inspired characters (one of them looking like Kate Beckinsale) and then run around in some gothic villages from 19th century Europe and fight darker tone vampires, werevolves, succubus and other demonic beasts. But no, instead we get Fortnite with vampire skin.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Meet the Heroes of Redfall: Remi De La Rosa. A brilliant combat engineer who has spent her life on the frontlines. With the help of her robot cohort, Bribon, she’s determined to help rescue Redfall’s survivors.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'll just wait until Fatshark makes Vermintide but with vampires.

Although, seeing how Darktide ended up, I don't think I can wait 10 years.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For some reason this game gives me flashbacks from cancelled Arkane project Crossing

What a hell do ravens and sniper rifles have to do with vampires?
Goth Nation Rise Up!
anyway - finally some good read
https://gameinfinitus.com/news/japa...-journalists-poor-gameplay-skills-in-redfall/
Japanese media has criticized the gameplay skills of Western game journalists, specifically highlighting a recent IGN preview video for the upcoming cooperative shooter, “Redfall.” The video showcases what users describe as “poor gameplay,” prompting the Japanese website Automaton to question the quality of the content produced by Western game journalists.

IGN’s exclusive gameplay video, released on April 8, features three-player cooperative gameplay as they battle Rook, a powerful enemy in the game. However, the video has been widely criticized for its poor gameplay, with users pointing out the lack of cooperation between players and the apparent unfamiliarity with the game mechanics.

Automaton’s article also notes that the video doesn’t adequately showcase the game’s features, with the character’s abilities being poorly utilized. Examples include Devinder’s teleportation device, the Translocator, being thrown but not used to teleport, and the Arc Javelin electric attack not being effectively employed.

The criticism extends beyond the gameplay itself, with users questioning the professionalism of game journalists who release exclusive preview content without a proper understanding of the game mechanics. This has led to broader concerns about the role of game media, especially as more primary information becomes available directly from game manufacturers.

While being skilled at a game is not a prerequisite for covering game content, a certain level of understanding and gameplay proficiency is essential to effectively showcase a game’s features, particularly in exclusive preview videos. As Redfall’s release date approaches, it remains to be seen if the criticism will prompt Western game journalists to improve their gameplay skills and content quality.

ADL

Prophet
By all means let game journos preview the game and write articles about it but all pre-release b-roll footage should be provided by StealthgamerBR. They used him once for Death of the Outsider, not sure why they stopped.

lol wtf is this why would you preview the game on a fucking controller and why would Bethesda upload it to their own channel? Nice aim.

sosmoflux

Educated
They don't use StealthgamerBR because
- He didn't make Dishonored 2 sell more copies
- You can't do anything cool in Redfall anyway

fuzz

Liturgist
(...)

While being skilled at a game is not a prerequisite for covering game content, a certain level of understanding and gameplay proficiency is essential to effectively showcase a game’s features, particularly in exclusive preview videos. As Redfall’s release date approaches, it remains to be seen if the criticism will prompt Western game journalists to improve their gameplay skills and content quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom