Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Bruh, spoiler that stuff.

smugwtc5s.jpg
XPcHkmc.jpg

sosmoflux

Educated
Something funny I've noticed looking through all these recent previews is that everyone played as Jacob, the gun and stealth guy. The most almost-normal character in the lineup.
That's gotta hurt.

This thread is mostly depressing.

In my (very stupid opinion) Redfall has all the elements of a good Far Cry-like in Arkane's style except it's so unlikable. Swap out the aesthetic for something actually dark and scary (instead of roflcopter fortnite look), the characters with actual normal people, and it'll probably be good.

Like, is it supposed to be scary? Is it funny? Is it Marvelesque?

all I'm getting from the trailer materials is that it's pandering to zoomers. Who, sorry to say, aren't gonna buy this game.

This games problem isn’t that the characters aren’t “normal people.” It’s that the designs are fucking bland. Looking at the characters they’re probably all too normal and bland design wise, the only design that really stands apart is Jacob Boyer with his weird giant hood.

Remi De La Rosa is wearing a green motorcycle jacket (that seems like it’s meant to look similar to Travis Bickle‘s army jacket) in a stylized video game about fighting vampires and yet it’s not as cool looking and stylized as Travis Bickle’s jacket. They gave her a backpack, which I’m sure was inspired by Ghostbusters, and yet her look is more toned down then the intentionally blandish workmen costume designs of the Ghostbusters. My guess would be she’s a cross between Bickle and a Ghostbusters design wise, but she’s far less cool looking than that design should be.

Layla Ellison feels like they wanted to do some modern ‘70s Pam Grier (or Marki Bey from Sugar Hill) character but got cold feet when it came to stuff like big tits and attractiveness. Her giant shirt also looks like it was meant to be worn off the shoulder like Flashdance or something but someone put the kibosh on the cartoon character showing skin.

Devinder Crousley has kind of a wolfman look going on, so that’s somewhat interesting, but his jacket is also really fucking stupid looking. It’s like they went out of their way to make the jacket design look stupid.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

In my (very stupid opinion) Redfall has all the elements of a good Far Cry-like in Arkane's style except it's so unlikable. Swap out the aesthetic for something actually dark and scary (instead of roflcopter fortnite look), the characters with actual normal people, and it'll probably be good.

all I'm getting from the trailer materials is that it's pandering to zoomers. Who, sorry to say, aren't gonna buy this game.

This games problem isn’t that the characters aren’t “normal people.” It’s that the designs are fucking bland. Looking at the characters they’re probably all too normal and bland design wise, the only design that really stands apart is Jacob Boyer with his weird giant hood.

Remi De La Rosa is wearing a green motorcycle jacket (that seems like it’s meant to look similar to Travis Bickle‘s army jacket) in a stylized video game about fighting vampires and yet it’s not as cool looking and stylized as Travis Bickle’s jacket. They gave her a backpack, which I’m sure was inspired by Ghostbusters, and yet her look is more toned down then the intentionally blandish workmen costume designs of the Ghostbusters. My guess would be she’s a cross between Bickle and a Ghostbusters design wise, but she’s far less cool looking than that design should be.

Layla Ellison feels like they wanted to do some modern ‘70s Pam Grier (or Marki Bey from Sugar Hill) character but got cold feet when it came to stuff like big tits and attractiveness. Her giant shirt also looks like it was meant to be worn off the shoulder like Flashdance or something but someone put the kibosh on the cartoon character showing skin.

Devinder Crousley has kind of a wolfman look going on, so that’s somewhat interesting, but his jacket is also really fucking stupid looking. It’s like they went out of their way to make the jacket design look stupid.

The designs are bad, but this type of game doesn't necessarily need stylized zoomers (but they're probably too old to be zoomers? so it's zoomer appeal millennials) in the first place. Look at Left 4 Dead. 4 normal people (with exception for Bill maybe), and Louis looks like he came straight out of an office 9-4. Iconic characters.

Redfall's characters are too tryhard. Are they supposed to be survivors or super heroes?

Is this a horror game or a hero shooter? You can't have both.

What kind of games are zoomers buying/playing these days?

Whatever their favorite streamers/friends are playing.

Kids of any generation have no real initiative, they just follow what's popular in their respective circles. Most adults too, actually.

If some big streamer (I don't know any off the top of my head) really wants to promote Redfall and makes the gameplay appealing to their base, it will succeed as long as hype continues.

But even kids know quality when they see it.

The designs are bad, but this type of game doesn't necessarily need stylized zoomers (but they're probably too old to be zoomers? so it's zoomer appeal millennials) in the first place. Look at Left 4 Dead. 4 normal people (with exception for Bill maybe), and Louis looks like he came straight out of an office 9-4. Iconic characters.

Redfall's characters are too tryhard. Are they supposed to be survivors or super heroes?

Is this a horror game or a hero shooter? You can't have both.

What kind of games are zoomers buying/playing these days?

Whatever their favorite streamers/friends are playing.

Kids of any generation have no real initiative, they just follow what's popular in their respective circles. Most adults too, actually.

If some big streamer (I don't know any off the top of my head) really wants to promote Redfall and makes the gameplay appealing to their base, it will succeed as long as hype continues.

But even kids know quality when they see it.

I don’t really remember jack shit about the Left 4 Dead characters, so I feel like “iconic” is a bit of a stretch. Looking up which one Louis is...his design is just Shaun from Shaun of the Dead but black and bald...which kind of gets back to what I was saying before.

There’s nothing wrong with this type of game having cool looking characters. (Or characters that are like 20 somethings) Just look at actual horror action movies like Night of the Comet and Lost Boys, or a game like Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The problem isn’t the direction they went, it’s simply that the designs all suck. If Travis Bickle girl looked more like a girl version of Travis Bickle her design would be infinitely better than what’s in the game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There’s nothing wrong with this type of game having cool looking characters. (Or characters that are like 20 somethings) Just look at actual horror action movies like Night of the Comet and Lost Boys, or a game like Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Ignoring the context of the game here (i don't know/care if Redfall's characters are cool or whatever, so far i haven't seen anything to make me think about playing the game to care about its characters) but did you notice that your two movies are from the mid-80s and the game is from the early 90s and a homage to 80s and older movies? Perhaps what mainstream audiences nowadays considers "cool" (or the contemporary equivalent adjective) has changed?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Does that mean they will remove online DRM? I really don't like such drms in my favorite game studio.
I am afraid that this won't be the case in the near future. However, Arkane is known to have removed Denuvo from some of their games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Meet the Heroes of Redfall: Layla Ellison. A biomedical engineering student who interned at an Aevum research facility, where something went very wrong, leaving her with intense telekinetic abilities.

Her abilities give you all around versatility – Umbrella is perfectly suited for offense or defense. Use Lift to reach rooftops or launch enemies into the air. Then summon Jason to deal devastating damage to nearby enemies.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Meet the Heroes of Redfall: Layla Ellison. A biomedical engineering student who interned at an Aevum research facility, where something went very wrong, leaving her with intense telekinetic abilities.

Her abilities give you all around versatility – Umbrella is perfectly suited for offense or defense. Use Lift to reach rooftops or launch enemies into the air. Then summon Jason to deal devastating damage to nearby enemies.

:shitandpiss:

Weird fantasy abilities have no place in a game like this unless they are somehow related to the one exception to reality (vampires) that the setting has already made for the purpose of having antagonists. Having random people with inexplicable superpowers is stupid. Totally destroys the theme of this being some kind of scary horror game, it becomes a cartoon akin to Borderlands.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
The designs are bad, but this type of game doesn't necessarily need stylized zoomers (but they're probably too old to be zoomers? so it's zoomer appeal millennials) in the first place. Look at Left 4 Dead.
Don't fall for the divide and conquer rhetoric. Zoomers aren't at fault; they aren't being given a choice.
Perhaps what mainstream audiences nowadays considers "cool" (or the contemporary equivalent adjective) has changed?
No, "cool" is whatever Larry Fink says it is. Simple as. There are plenty of vampire hunter archetypes they can play with, but what we're seeing is bland and quirky so as not to anger the voldemorts.

A religious figure would be cool, maybe subvert expectations with a quippy Rabbi, a Keith David-style Imam, or a James Woods fallen-out-of-favor-with-God type. How about a goth-obsessed nutcase in a corset? What about a Wesley Snipes half-breed, and he could be half vampire too (SWIDT). Van Helsing? Buffy? What about a straight-up thug gangster? Don't want to offend blacks (or soys and white women), make a Guy Ritchie brit gangster, a Mexican cartel lieutenant, or a bippity-boppity dago mafioso. SWAT cop? Redneck? A fucking Quik-Stop clerk who wasn't even supposed to be there today?

I mean, for fucks sake, we got a guy with a hood and three WGAS.

Well, whatever, we've got front-row seats to watch Arkane hit an iceberg.

Totally destroys the theme of this being some kind of scary horror game
:nocountryforshitposters:

What is it trying to be then, if not a L4D clone?

OK, fine, even if it isn't supposed to be a horror game, it destroys the world narrative of being a normal modern-life town that vampires somehow overrun. If superpowers exist in the universe as a common thing for humans then the game needs to address how this affects the rest of the earth and why we don't just have an army of Captain America-esque super soldiers deployed by the government to clean up threats.

You can make a fantasy game, but if its a fantasy game based on earth but X, then for every change you need to justify it narratively both in how it came to be and why it hasn't radically altered the world to not be earth-like. If the justification was "this person was actually a vampire at some point, she's the only known one to still remain sane and needs to hide her abilities to avoid being hunted", then that fits with how we establish that vampires are real in this universe. If the justification is "this person fell and hit their head and now has psychic abilities" then we've opened up an entirely separate can of worms.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lol. Goddamn IGN, you're better off just giving the controller to an AI at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom