Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

DayofBlow

Educated
I guess they knew enough to know that Zombie was schlock and Night of The Living Dead wasn't. Can you bird people stop now, please?
This the reference for 'negative inspiration':
"Creating Evil Incarnate: The Making of Resident Evil". GamePro. IDG (91): 32–33. April 1996. My main inspiration was Zombie, a famous Italian horror movie. When I saw the movie, I was dissatisfied with some of the plot twists and action sequences. I though, 'If I was making this movie, I'd do this or that differently.'
He went storyfag on it. Also complained about the action scenes. Loved the rest of it to the point of being his main reference for RE1. They hadn't a clue about schlock.

What a horrible fucking phrase, guy who wrote the sentence on wikipedia butchered the content of the interview.

Last edited:

dextermorgan

Arcane
I guess they knew enough to know that Zombie was schlock and Night of The Living Dead wasn't. Can you bird people stop now, please?
This the reference for 'negative inspiration':
"Creating Evil Incarnate: The Making of Resident Evil". GamePro. IDG (91): 32–33. April 1996. My main inspiration was Zombie, a famous Italian horror movie. When I saw the movie, I was dissatisfied with some of the plot twists and action sequences. I though, 'If I was making this movie, I'd do this or that differently.'
He went storyfag on it. Also complained about the action scenes. Loved the rest of it to the point of being his main reference for RE1. They hadn't a clue about schlock.

What a horrible fucking phrase, guy who wrote the sentence on wikipedia butchered the content of the interview.
And the complete quote is:
o5GyAo9.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Didn't Capcom literally ripoff Dawn of the Dead into its own video game? (Dead Rising)

Pretty sure that means they liked Romero's stuff.

Wunderbar

Arcane
game was originally developed for 3DS, and it shows - there is no inventory or item management
That has nothing to do with being on 3DS, though. RE1 has a port for DS(that is great) and that still has inventory and item management. That is just Capcom being shit at making good RE.
that because RE1 was a port, not a brand new game. RERev1 was a high-budget game made for handheld console, they had to develop it as safe as possible.

Generic-Giant-Spider

https://www.dualshockers.com/resident-evil-3-remake-potential-capcom-fans/

Lol, shut the fuck up Capcom. We all know RE2 Remake sold like bottled water in Cape Town. RE3 Remake is being made as we speak most likely, you don't worry about ego stroking and just make sure you do the best Resident Evil girl her proper justice, make Nemesis the fucking beast he is, and bring back giant spiders.

And before any of you Adalytes come at me I'm telling you it firmly: Jill Valentine is the baddest bitch on the block.

Generic-Giant-Spider

She really is. She's the master of unlocking.

And she starts the game with a gun.

Chris is such a dumbfuck he brings a knife. Some "STARS" member he is. Hit the showers, punk.

RapineDel

Augur
Man, playing this game has really made me go into a Resident Evil fascination mood. Tell me, are any of the REs after RE4 any good if you're into survival horror?
re revelations and re revelations 2.

RERev1 is pretty short and have its shitty episodes, but the main part where you play as Jill and explore the huge ship are pretty good. Thematic keys (helm key, anchor key, trident key, etc), relatively open-ended map design, some options areas with items, etc. Enemies are some cthulhuesque slimey mutants. Unfortunately, game was originally developed for 3DS, and it shows - there is no inventory or item management (you're always carrying three weapons, four types of grenades, a few herbs and story items), puzzles are piss easy and the visuals look pretty bad even.

RERev2 is a pure fanservice: Claire is stranded on some remote island filled with mutants, and the second playable character is Barry (who cracks dad jokes and quotes himself from original RE1). This game is much more linear than RERev1, but have some old school mechanics: inventory management, combining items, etc. Also, i think it is the only RE game with stealth elements - you can sneak up on enemies and then stab them in the back.

Btw, both games feature the new optional Raid mode, which is basically looter-shooter rpg, complete with levelling, perks and upgradeable weapons.

I don't know. I played RERev 1 recently on Switch as it was a convenient place to check it out and it's comfortably one of the worst Resident Evils. There's way too much of a story focus for a series that's always been a bit of fun on the story front and not much more. The episodic nature is stupid, the gameplay and level design are really simple and make RE7 feel like something complicated in comparison.

There's also a mini map telling you exactly where every item is so just because the keys are in them doesn't mean they're puzzles. The keys are basically in game fetch quests and the ship just becomes annoying to navigate.

I own RERev2 in the same package but if it's more of the same I might give it a pass.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Man, playing this game has really made me go into a Resident Evil fascination mood. Tell me, are any of the REs after RE4 any good if you're into survival horror?
re revelations and re revelations 2.

RERev1 is pretty short and have its shitty episodes, but the main part where you play as Jill and explore the huge ship are pretty good. Thematic keys (helm key, anchor key, trident key, etc), relatively open-ended map design, some options areas with items, etc. Enemies are some cthulhuesque slimey mutants. Unfortunately, game was originally developed for 3DS, and it shows - there is no inventory or item management (you're always carrying three weapons, four types of grenades, a few herbs and story items), puzzles are piss easy and the visuals look pretty bad even.

RERev2 is a pure fanservice: Claire is stranded on some remote island filled with mutants, and the second playable character is Barry (who cracks dad jokes and quotes himself from original RE1). This game is much more linear than RERev1, but have some old school mechanics: inventory management, combining items, etc. Also, i think it is the only RE game with stealth elements - you can sneak up on enemies and then stab them in the back.

Btw, both games feature the new optional Raid mode, which is basically looter-shooter rpg, complete with levelling, perks and upgradeable weapons.

I own RERev2 in the same package but if it's more of the same I might give it a pass.
RERev2 isn't the same as rerev1, so you may give it a shot.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
RE Revelations 2 is highly similar to Revelations 1 except with better levels, less cringe-y story and enemies that are more annoying.

Overall it's an improvement over Revelations 1 but if you really didn't like Rev1 then I really don't see Rev2 winning you over.

As things stand right now, if the question is: What are the good RE games that use 3rd-person view? The answer is: only RE4 and RE2 Remake. (And honestly, I'd personally say only RE2 Remake and leave out RE4 as well, but I know a lot people like it).

Generic-Giant-Spider

The one thing I really like about RE4 is how the village atmosphere is. It nails that "dreary, foggy, dark rainy day in the middle of Autumn" look and you can feel the chill in the air. It's too bad they waste all that excellence on being an action game where you fight Lord of the Rings forest trolls and shit.

dextermorgan

Arcane
And the complete quote is:
What hair are you trying to split here? That they talked about DotD a lot and it inspired RE1 as well as Zombi 2? We were talking about them being oblivious to schlock, you have gone out of your way to prove that.
Argument originally started with the giant spider claiming RE1 development team intentionally added schlock, followed by your bird bro claiming Japanese nerds in the nineties couldn't tell schlock from non-schlock. I disagree with both to an extent, though more so with the supposed ignorance - or inability - of the original devs to tell apart trashy horror from quality horror. They took a schlocky base, injected a bunch of ideas and imagery from other quality media, and made something new and undeniably successful - intentionally.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

I agree with him regarding the giant alligator and the music direction. The rest it's just nostalgia-fag tears mostly. The scenarios in the original game didn't allowed a lot of decisions between them, only two (One being an easter egg or secret). They always felt more like two campaings swapping the characters and the events. The B scenarios mattered thanks to the changes in the order of the riddles and the way that you went through the police station, and that's is done the remake too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom