Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Let it be known that Ada is best girl and the "Sara Valestein" of the franchise.

0789ed347c.jpg

4709731860.jpg

:desu::love:

sullynathan

Arcane
Didn't capcom state they expected RE7 lifetime sales to be 10 million? Considering it's at about 6 million right now, it has undersold in both short term and long term?
It boggles one's mind how out of touch these company analysts are. A toddler could tell you that a survival horror game is not selling 10 million copies in this day and age. Did any recent game sell more than 10 million besides Skyrim and GTA 5?
Monster hunter world by capcom cleared 10 million copies last year so it is possible for capcom to do 10+ million with their games. They're in their most profitable period of their existence.

Ash

Arcane
Played the demo. Didn't like it. Had little soul and design intelligence like 99% of modern games. How the fuck it manages this when it is a remake based on a game with some soul and design intelligence, well only a modern dev could fuck it up.

Nonetheless, it wasn't bad per se, just lacking that old school heart and monocle. I will admit I was a little on edge in the east wing at the start, but ultimately based on the demo this game has little to offer me.

To be more specific about what I didn't like:

-Prompts, merged tutorials and all that other modern game industry handholding shit. The original had little to none of this breaking immersion and simplifying exploration, and I beat it as a kid. Yes you can turn it off, but the problem is most people aren't going to do that as they lack the insight as to why they're often no good in the first place.
-Everything is shiny chrome Unreal Engine style, including Police officer uniforms.
-Little details in scripted cinematic scenes that piss me off as in most modern games. Why are modern game devs so dumb? When somebody gets their lower body ripped off, they don't immediately close their eyes and die. They will last for quite a while suffering, as they bleed out in shock.
-OK so we've made the game 3rd person. No more fixed camera angles. This allows for tighter control and potentially better combat, though you lose the highly restrictive tension present with fixed cams, as well as beautiful hand drawn pre-rendered graphics. Personally I think the original game from 1998 is more vsually appealing and charming. But I digress: they've made the game third person, which gives you more control, but they've done very little to counter this in regards to AI, encounters and resources, resulting in easy combat. To boot they've even given you knife counter attacks from REshitMake (cool mechanic that should exist, but currently is just making things even more easier).
-Soundtrack? Lol what's that? We can't have beautifully haunting old school composition in our modern game! That would mean a AAA game from the past decade with good music that deepens the experience actually exists, we can't have that.
-GUI. It's the same uninspired shit in RE7. This better be placeholder.
-Static environments. And what about all the lore and character development that was attained through interacting with the environments (text descriptions when interacting with mostly anything: corpses, items, debris etc)? There's little new that even substitutes this feature's absence.

Fuck this soulless shit. Again I retreat to playing old school games. I'll likely replay Parasite Eve 2, which if you haven't played it it is basically Resident Evil (possibly better) and more worthy than any of this NuRE garbage. You'd do well to ignore this junk and emulate PE2. Too many people haven't played it.

Roommate got the game, so I played further out of curiosity. At the sewers. Will cease playing here. It's not terrible but it isn't exactly good either. Compared to most modern games it's OK. Soulless and lacklustre, but also OK by modern standards.

More decline to add to my earlier criticism quoted above:

-Heavily reduced and pussified modern gamer intro to the game (trek to the station).
-Game is still somewhat easy, but at least they removed the infinite combat knives thing from the demo.
-WTF happened to the licker breathing sound effect from the original? That was the creepiest sound in the series next to the regenerators.
-The writing of documents is likely written by some edgy neckbeard. For example, there's lots of casual swearing...in documents supposed to be written by officers in a police station. The original was no literary masterpiece but it maintained a believable tone.
-The AI is retarded. Especially doggo AI. Lickers are an exception. Mr X AI is also super easy to decipher and manipulate. So far he's only been an annoyance.
-Muh achievmentz pop ups for storing an item in a box! Yeah this shit is standard now but that doesn't mean we should accept it.
-Removal of enemy types.
-Hurr durr Mr. Raccoon so kewl! I won't even bother explaining my dislike of this shit.
-The differences between Claire and Leon playthroughs seem negligible and inferior to the original. But I can't say for sure without playing both to the end, which I wont be.
-More stupid cinematics shit by retarded developers:
1. the PC grabbing a dead dude's face and inspecting it. See: image link. Leon can see the dude is fucked up. Why would you grab his head and yank it about? Assume his face was eaten, end of story. For all Leon knows, this dude's a zombie and will bite him. It's just the developer's dumb ideas shoved into the game and screams "look at this cool thing" regardless of the overall context. Probably mainly exists because they wanted to use it for marketing.
2. The PC grabbing the officer's hand despite it being covered in blood. Not only blood, but infected blood. Happens after image link.
The original game's cinematics were way cooler and not this dumb.

A few things that I liked for fairness' sake:

-New items or mechanics such as gunpowder, boarding windows, and sub-weapons.
-More puzzles than the original. Piss easy but the original's weren't hard either. They also sometimes make slightly more sense than the original's puzzles with regards to realism. Not that realism should trump gameplay in most contexts.
-Combat is "better". (in a number of ways, but also not e.g it's too easy mainly because the AI is retarded).
-Level design rearrangement is somewhat decent.
-Zombies can bust through doors.
-Ada is true waifu.

Rating based on what I played: 6/10. Most of the positive in that rating is from it taking concepts from a better game (the original version) and not fucking some of it up, e.g resource scarcity is still a thing. The police station is still a thing.

...it could have been worse.

Last edited:
Is that by the high school grade scale that braindead game journos use or using the entire scale like that Your Movie Sucks movie critic does? If it's the latter I think that's a reasonable take, especially if you had the hopes of REmake 2 to be just like REmake 1.

Ash

Arcane
Had no hopes to begin with. It's 2018. Game industry is borderline dead to me at this point and I mainly play older, far superior games.
I don't care if they were to go for a straight-up 100% faithful remake or a reimaging. I only care for quality design and a product of equal or greater value than the original, which REmake1 arguably was. This is not.

Kitchen Utensil

Well, it's not 2018, but I agree with the rest. :3
6/10 (full scale) would be my rating too.

For me I saw it more as a preview for RE8, if they fix a few issues I had with this game, i'd be a happy boy. Such issues were, item menu was paused it should be real time like RE 7's, more enemy variety is needed, adding the outbreak magazine mechanic, the music was too soft if not non existent, make it clear why safe rooms are impenetrable, even something as simple as the safe room door locking animation in evil within 2 would work.

Edit: Clarie gives off girl next door vibes but the cgi movies implies she was a fucking THOT.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For me I saw it more as a preview for RE8, if they fix a few issues I had with this game, i'd be a happy boy. Such issues were, item menu was paused it should be real time like RE 7's, more enemy variety is needed, adding the outbreak magazine mechanic, the music was too soft if not non existent, make it clear why safe rooms are impenetrable, even something as simple as the safe room door locking animation in evil within 2 would work..
i agree with everything except for Outbreak magazine mechanic. It is immersive, but it's going to be hella frustrating with the current inventory system where handgun, shotgun and small key have the same size.

You think RE7's item spaces would work better for the outbreak mags, or just a bad idea in general? I do remember that it had more spaces than typical re's even before upgrades and weapons had different sizes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
You think RE7's item spaces would work better for the outbreak mags, or just a bad idea in general? I do remember that it had more spaces than typical re's even before upgrades and weapons had different sizes.
RE4 inventory is probably the best variant for outbreak mags, but rummaging through grid-based inventory is going to be a chore in real-time, especially considering that there are only 4 hotkeys available.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Monster hunter world by capcom cleared 10 million copies last year so it is possible for capcom to do 10+ million with their games. They're in their most profitable period of their existence.

Sales alone are not enough to gauge this period as most profitable or not. They probably have the best revenue they ever had but with ballooning dev costs their margins and thus profit might be not so impressive.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
lol

Does the Re2 remake have some nice alternate costumes, as is the tradition of all things Resident evil?
Aye, biker, military, sheriff, and noir. Claire's biker outfit is based on the early design for the original RE2/RE 1.5 character Elza Walker.
Also on Feb 15th there's a retro costume/model switch available for free.

t7kjl.jpg
z0kfo.jpg

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That's it? Lower than than RE5 (4 millions) and RE6 (4.5 millions) first weeks, and those games had no PC version at release.
Resident Evil 4, 5 & 6 are the best selling Resident Evil games. No RE games before and after sold as well as them. Human beings prefer to play action over survival horror.
I know but apparently RE2 Remake is a big-budget title. 3 millions shipped units on the first week isn't impressive for an AAA game.
The most notable tidbit from last week’s Capcom NHK broadcast is that there were a whopping 800 (eight-hundred) people on #RE2 remake’s development.
:thisisfine:

Didn't capcom state they expected RE7 lifetime sales to be 10 million? Considering it's at about 6 million right now, it has undersold in both short term and long term?
It boggles one's mind how out of touch these company analysts are. A toddler could tell you that a survival horror game is not selling 10 million copies in this day and age. Did any recent game sell more than 10 million besides Skyrim and GTA 5?

Codexers complaining about company's investment in non-action games because instead of greedily maximizing profits they make a somewhat decent survival horror title that is just moderately profitable.

:dead:

sullynathan

Arcane

Sales alone are not enough to gauge this period as most profitable or not. They probably have the best revenue they ever had but with ballooning dev costs their margins and thus profit might be not so impressive.
They had a press release almost a year ago about this.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180508b.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom