Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why remake a 15+ year-old game and not improve the movement and controls to modern standards?
What is there to improve? The combat was made as such for a reason, not because of limitations.
How about not feeling like I'm driving a tank?

I get why the older games are like that. They sort of had to be, but a remake didn't need to be.
Stop trying to bring about decline to my Resident Evil.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Demo looked great on PS5, at least. Movement could be better, and I didn’t enjoy my time with the combat, especially when enemies are close up. I’ll probably play with some aim assist if I don’t get used to it :oops:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why remake a 15+ year-old game and not improve the movement and controls to modern standards?

Modern standards? What third person shooters are you talking about?
Pretty much all of them.

Are you really going to pretend that most modern third-person games feel like something that was designed for the Gamecube 18 years ago?
Most modern third-person shooters play poorly, which is why I wondered what games specifically you were thinking about. "Modernize" usually means making it play like every other game even if not right for the design of the game. You're right that they almost all play the same now. But that's not a good thing.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

Are you really going to pretend that most modern third-person games feel like something that was designed for the Gamecube 18 years ago?
Most modern third-person shooters play poorly, which is why I wondered what games specifically you were thinking about. "Modernize" usually means making it play like every other game even if not right for the design of the game. You're right that they almost all play the same now. But that's not a good thing.
The Last of Us 2 has smoother controls, better mechanics and larger levels than RE4 Remake. Look at that Salazar boss fight - Leon is so slow, he can't sprint, he can't dodge. It feels like a game released in 2010.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Also you don't need to look at modern TPS games when the RE series did controls and combat mechanics better 10 years ago.

Zlaja

Arcane

I get why the older games are like that. They sort of had to be, but a remake didn't need to be

The controls were designed to make you feel vulnerable. You aren't supposed to feel like a superhero gymnast.

Tbh, how hard it would be to add a dodge button?

Because that would make the whole decision making process of "should I shoot or move" (which the entire game is based on) less vital if you can just safely dodge out of the way whenever you allow an enemy to get too close.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

The Last of Us 2 has smoother controls, better mechanics and larger levels than RE4 Remake. Look at that Salazar boss fight - Leon is so slow, he can't sprint, he can't dodge. It feels like a game released in 2010.
Found the Last of Us Part II movement too imprecise for a Resident Evil game. You let go of the stick and she still takes another almost full step to the side, completing the animation already started. That's what I felt in the RE4 remake as well. More floaty movement.

The aim camera is much too close. A giant transition from where it normally is.

8HHlpq8.jpg

Dxh9kS6.jpg

Unnecessarily cramped for a third person game. If you want the player's view to be so limited in the action, just make your game first person. The whole point of third person is the increased field of view, being able to see around your character. I much preferred where the aim camera was in Control and Max Payne 3, games that also allowed you to shoot well without.

Her aim sways around too much for a Resident Evil game.

But the biggest problem with The Last of Us and Part II is the lack of shoulder swapping. You can't place the camera so close to the character and so far to one side and not allow shoulder swapping without aiming the gun, in a stealth action shooter with dense environments. That's plain poor design.

X48I67B.jpg

XsdAytC.jpg

Look at that terrible visibility. Imagine an enemy walking just outside the left border of the picture in the second pic or an enemy coming up behind that truck or a trap placed right in front of the truck. I have no idea why they designed to be raise the gun, then Square to swap shoulder. They could have allowed you to swap all the time by assigning it to R3, then moved the flashlight to L3 and assigned the points of interest that were on L3 to Triangle. Those points of interest where Ellie comments on something in the distance as a button prompt appears on the screen are so infrequent that they would not have interfered with the normal functions of Triangle. One button press would have allowed the player to see.

I did like how crouch and go prone worked: the Metal Gear Solid 4 style of tap or hold.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Could be one of the reasons you can see enemies through walls in almost every new third person stealth-action shooter. The visibility is baaaad.

JDR13

Arcane

I get why the older games are like that. They sort of had to be, but a remake didn't need to be

The controls were designed to make you feel vulnerable. You aren't supposed to feel like a superhero gymnast.
The controls were designed for a GameCube gamepad. Those are the facts.

They could have improved them for the PC release, but then they would have had to rebalance the entire game, and they obviously weren't going to invest that time and effort for a PC port.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

Found the Last of Us Part II movement too imprecise for a Resident Evil game. You let go of the stick and she still takes another almost full step to the side, completing the animation already started. That's what I felt in the RE4 remake as well. More floaty movement.

8HHlpq8.jpg

Dxh9kS6.jpg

Unnecessarily cramped for a third person game. If you want the player's view to be so limited in the action, just make your game first person. The whole point of third person is the increased field of view, being able to see around your character. I much preferred where the aim camera was in Control and Max Payne 3, games that also allowed you to shoot well without.

But the biggest problem with The Last of Us and Part II is the lack of shoulder swapping. You can't place the camera so close to the character and so far to one side and not allow shoulder swapping without aiming the gun, in a stealth action shooter with dense environments. That's plain poor design.

X48I67B.jpg

XsdAytC.jpg

Look at that terrible visibility. Imagine an enemy walking just outside the left border of the picture in the second pic or an enemy coming up behind that truck or a trap placed right in front of the truck. I have no idea why they designed to be raise the gun, then Square to swap shoulder. They could have allowed you to swap all the time by assigning it to R3, then moved the flashlight to L3 and assigned the points of interest that were on L3 to Triangle. Those points of interest where Ellie comments on something in the distance as a button prompt appears on the screen are so infrequent that they would not have interfered with the normal functions of Triangle. One button press would have allowed the player to see.

I did like how crouch and go prone worked: the Metal Gear Solid 4 style of tap or hold.
The game swaps shoulders when you take cover.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

8HHlpq8.jpg

Dxh9kS6.jpg

X48I67B.jpg

XsdAytC.jpg

I wondered if you were going to say that. The last guy did. If there's no wall beside the player? No object to take cover next to (and then make the character turn a teeny bit so that the camera actually moves to the other side)? What if I want to see what is on the other side of my character without going right up to the wall? It's inadequate. They shouldn't force more cover because of poorly designed visibility. There's no excuse not to design it like I described.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

8HHlpq8.jpg

Dxh9kS6.jpg

X48I67B.jpg

XsdAytC.jpg

I wondered if you were going to say that. The last guy did. If there's no wall beside the player? No object to take cover next to (and then make the character turn a teeny bit so that the camera actually moves to the other side)? What if I want to see what is on the other side of my character without going right up to the wall? It's inadequate. They shouldn't force more cover because of poorly designed visibility. There's no excuse not to design it like I described.
"force cover"

The game is designed around cover.

DemonKing

Arcane
I find it hard to believe a Last of Us game has good shooting given how shit the shooting is in their Uncharted games.
It's better than Uncharted which is more popamole.

With the stealth options and the ability to crouch/go prone LoU2's combat is amongst the best 3rd person gunplay out there (the main issues you're likely to have is with the story/characters). It's a shame they did a lazy reboot/remake of the original and not implement the sequel's advanced combat system.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Pretty much all of them.

8HHlpq8.jpg

Dxh9kS6.jpg

X48I67B.jpg

XsdAytC.jpg

"force cover"

The game is designed around cover.
It doesn't need to force cover to the extent it does. That's idiotic design that could be fixed by moving around a few buttons and losing no actions. Again, you're not always next to cover. Visibility is important between as well.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The clunky movement is what made RE4 what it was. It wasn’t a button masher, lots of it was kind of timing and placement. If it played like a new action game then it would kind of change into a dodge fest or spamming of moves.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Reviews are out. Journos are creaming themselves. Seems like they kept almost everything from the original, including the island section. They cut Ada extra modes though (Assigment ada, Separate ways).

ZACKIE

Educated
"little sequences that I find memorable—just aren't here. The review embargo prevents me saying exactly what is here and what isn't but, if you have any familiarity with the game, you'll notice the absence of one, then another, then by the time you're near the end sadly conclude this isn't going to deliver much of what it should."

"And a lot of it just hasn't made the cut. One iconic sequence in particular—I'll not say which as we've been asked to avoid revealing certain specific changes—has here been replaced with an utterly anodyne and short section that simply isn't fit to lace the original's boots."

"Where the original felt like it was constantly over-reaching, constantly surprising the player with new demands, new environments, and wild one-off challenges, this seems content to settle into more of a standard corridor shooter rhythm. The combat is so good that even when the game's unambitious it is borne aloft on a cloud of shotgun shells, but the further you poke into its soft underbelly the more unambitious it begins to seem."

"Where the original felt expansive, this feels cramped, and where the original went on breathless tangents and threw one idea after another at the player, this feels (in the second half especially) like it settles into a groove and isn't especially interested in breaking free of it."

They fucked it up, the good reviews are from goysloppers that haven't played the original and don't know what they're missing, keep in mind they can't even tell you what's missing because it would be considered spoiler

DemonKing

Arcane
Reviews are out. Journos are creaming themselves. Seems like they kept almost everything from the original, including the island section. They cut Ada extra modes though (Assigment ada, Separate ways).
Yeah I clicked on three reviews today and they were all: 10/10 masterpiece!

Capcom must have invested a lot of money in "marketing" for this one.

JDR13

Arcane
Seems like they kept almost everything from the original, including the island section.
Good. These games aren't very long to begin with. They don't need to be cutting anything. What they did to RE3 was a travesty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom