Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

What was the final Codex verdict on RE7?

It's a decent game, way better than RE5 and 6. Except for unskippable cutscenes before bossfights and AFTER the goddamn checkpoints. It's also the only RE game for me where story was remotely interesting.

It was really looking like the rumors would be true a while ago, but now it's 100% clear they were true.

The women in the trailer are likely the "witches" the rumors talked about. Sure they're be some twist, but Chris is the villain, or at least an antagonist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm baffled people seem to think this looks much better than a PC version of a PS4 game, but hey whatevs. Looks very cool visual design wise, and I much prefer first-person.

I'm baffled people seem to think this looks much better than a PC version of a PS4 game, but hey whatevs. Looks very cool visual design wise, and I much prefer first-person.

The leaks from AsetheticGamer in May (I think it was May anyways) said it was a crossgen game. It's been in development for a few years I think. Leaker was guessing it'd be released earlier next year. Although at this moment I'm not seeing anything about a PS4 and Xbox One release. But back in May it sounded like the plan was crossgen. And given the PS4's numbers if that was the plan it probably still is if they're wanting to sell the most.

Apparently the trailer is using a mix of old and new footage, and these are the same characters:

EaR0bkhWAAE2jCy

EaR0cYmWsAA8Pbu

Those are two different models. Guessing first was done where they got the RE7 & 2 Remake done, and the second is the better place where the DMC5 (and presumably the RE3 Remake) did their face scans...wish I could remember the place, but it's something that came up in one of the later DMC5 developer streams.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Models as good as the second one, during real-time gameplay, would be somewhat impressive. I still think it's diminishing returns, but it would classify as "looks good." I guess my overall point is nothing is making my dick hard about buying a 3080.

Perkel

Arcane
And simultaneous release

c2cbdk.png

That doesn't make sense. August 2020 but consoles literally don't have release window yet nor the price. If they would be released just in 2 month those would be already known.

So how they can release next gen game without next gen consoles ?

And simultaneous release

c2cbdk.png

That doesn't make sense. August 2020 but consoles literally don't have release window yet nor the price. If they would be released just in 2 month those would be already known.

So how they can release next gen game without next gen consoles ?

The consoles do have a release window. Or at least they did. But that August 2020 date is when they're showing more stuff about the game. The 2021 date on there is when it's coming out.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EaRCEpFU8AEhlrS.png

Claire has three cats now, one of them named Albert Whiskers, because Leon won't stop chasing Ada. Don't tell me you wouldn't get pissed off and start dressing in black if that happened to your sister.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Weird how RE no longer has a female protagonist now that they have become pretty common. The only thing that annoys me is Ethan, he was supposed to be your everyman trying to survive in the world of RE where zombie outbreaks happen every odd year. But why do we play him again?
It's also funny that people complain of about "werewolves" when RE 1 had insect people since the beginning.

xbbrpd9i7d451.png

Wow this really is inspired by RE4 there is even money, it's set in Romania apparently.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I'm glad they're back to original content instead of poorly revisiting nostalgia, but if this is what is "next gen" I'm starting to think we're hitting the wall in terms of visuals. Dont get me wrong, it looks great , but its not mindblowing. Theres nothing in there that screams next gen to me, even with the rather generous assumption that all of the footage is inengine real time, and actually a few stills seem to reveal that Capcom still can't get a decent AA solution for whatever reason, so i guess we can look forward to the vaseline smear AA again.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm glad they're back to original content instead of poorly revisiting nostalgia, but if this is what is "next gen" I'm starting to think we're hitting the wall in terms of visuals.
we've hit the wall like 5 years ago.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Weird how RE no longer has a female protagonist now that they have become pretty common. The only thing that annoys me is Ethan, he was supposed to be your everyman trying to survive in the world of RE where zombie outbreaks happen every odd year. But why do we play him again?
I don't remember where I read this, but apparently Ethan is
an Umbrella scientist. His name was found in a note in RE5 so he's gonna play a big role in the main storyline from now on.

I personally think it's just a coincidence, but who knows.

Kitchen Utensil

There hasn't been a compelling Resident Evil starting with RE4.
Not holding my breath for this one.

The puzzles have been dumbed down to a degree that the games would be better off having none at all.
They're insultingly bad. Same with the locations: Small and linear as fuck. And the charme is gone as well.

Replay REmake and compare to RE7. Or compare RE2 and REmake 2. It hurts. Not to mention the cashgrab that was REmake 3.

Shit.

Way too scripted and linear, shit story (not in the old charming RE way), uninspired "puzzles", bad enemy design. And obviously made for VR, with too many gimmicky scenes that just suck.
Nice atmospheric locations here and there. Nice graphics (except textures, which are mostly shit).

Worth it for 10 bucks (max) for half a playthrough (second half is not worth it, complete shit).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitchen Utensil

it's OK, way too short though. First half features decent exploration akin to Spencer mansion / RPD, then the game declines hard.

How was it too short? It's comparable to many others in the series in length. And the second half was so bad that I wished it ended like at least an hour before it actually did.
Also, the exploration only seems decent in that first half and is nowhere near as good as the Spencer mansion. Replay it just once and realise how fucking linear it is comared to REmake for example. And yes, second half is shit. I mean, most Resident Evils deteriorate in the second half, but RE7 drops off a cliff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
EaRCEpFU8AEhlrS.png

Claire has three cats now, one of them named Albert Whiskers, because Leon won't stop chasing Ada. Don't tell me you wouldn't get pissed off and start dressing in black if that happened to your sister.

Chris(chan) looks a bit more like his old self.

Have they changed the face model again?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
and actually a few stills seem to reveal that Capcom still can't get a decent AA solution for whatever reason, so i guess we can look forward to the vaseline smear AA again.

RE2 is one of the rare games that still had options outside of TAA smear, actually. It had SMAA and even looked decent with AA off at higher resolutions. Most games are so designed around TAA now there's no other option, they look weird even with nothing due to shimmer.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
FPP? I am interested now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom