Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has potential to be fair.

I'm just not a massive fan of Ethan returning as a protag, he definitely should have been a one game character.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah it is weird that they went with him.

IT would be fun if at the end of RE8 you get to see reflection in mirror and there you see....

.. hands floating with pistol and nothing else.

Graphically wise there is nothing impressive that I saw, however aesthetics is another measurement, and I did like it. The setting couldn't have been better, so I see no reason for why it should fail, it's probably going to be like RE7 but more expanded. As long as they keep it subtle and has the same tone it should be good. I don't know if it was the scale or how they did the perspective but I got really immersed by 7.

It has potential to be fair.

I'm just not a massive fan of Ethan returning as a protag, he definitely should have been a one game character.
The problem that I have with returning characters is that they never seem to evolve and still have the same attitude/personality they had when they first started. That fish out of water personality, no one comes out of any of these situations that they are in and remain the same. You will be hardened by it. One possible gimmick that I wish someone at least did and implement as a mechanic, is that you start as a coward and it reflects mechanically; you can barely aim your gun/have no experience handling it, you shake as your adrenaline goes up in tense situations, a pessimistic and defeatist attitude with some low-self esteem issues mixed in. But ... slowly but surely, as you are able to hand more escalating situations and come out on top your character begins to harden, have more resiliency, courage, self-esteem, confidence, believes in himself, his mechanical abilities also improves. He is able to consistently aim better, sprint faster, have more self-control, more knowledge of weapon handling, etc. This could also have a negative effect because if the returning character has already been through so much and has all that experience, the new game has to reflect that mechanically, and the game would probably not be as scary since the protagonist can handle himself so it has to be kept at a moderate level. This is also why there is so much female protagonist in the horror genre.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem that I have with returning characters is that they never seem to evolve and still have the same attitude/personality they had when they first started.

The RE series has never really been one for Character Development. Probably the reason why it has one of the most celibate casts.

Maybe Ethan will finally convince Chris to give it up and bone Jill by the end.

Kitchen Utensil

JDR13, sullynathan, TheHeroOfTime:

You fucking imbeciles, what exactly do you disagree with in my post? Do you actually deny that RE7 is more linear than RE1, REmake or RE2, has terrible enemy-design and a second half that's beyond retarded? That REmake3 is a fucking disgrace compared to the original RE3? That REmake2 is just barely acceptable only because the original RE2 was a masterpiece and that it doesn't reach the quality of the original in the slightest? Resident Evil Zero and Code Veronica are way better than any of the last three releases (7, REmake2 and REmake3).

Holy fucking shit you guys are so retarded that I'm tempted to put you on my ignore list. I don't think I'ver ever read a monocled opinion form any of you losers.

JDR13

Arcane

You fucking imbeciles, what exactly do you disagree with in my post? Do you actually deny that RE7 is more linear than RE1, REmake or RE2, has terrible enemy-design and a second half that's beyond retarded? That REmake3 is a fucking disgrace compared to the original RE3? That REmake2 is just barely acceptable only because the original RE2 was a masterpiece and that it doesn't reach the quality of the original in the slightest? Resident Evil Zero and Code Veronica are way better than any of the last three releases (7, REmake2 and REmake3).

Holy fucking shit you guys are so retarded that I'm tempted to put you on my ignore list. I don't think I'ver ever read a monocled opinion form any of you losers.

0afc2d379b2deab6b5c4dc5dae95df43.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

They're the holy trinity of shit taste.

Kitchen Utensil

I wouldn't be surprised if none of them ever even played the classics.

https%3A%2F%2Fscreenshotscontent-d5001.xboxlive.com%2Fxuid-2533274919054914-private%2F996146af-f1df-4eaa-b0e2-4a8049196878.PNG%3Fsv%3D2015-12-11%26sr%3Db%26si%3DDefaultAccess%26sig%3Dr76BdURstFf09Y0RuoQ20LnxHv%252FeZcu%252FDszukCza6EY%253D.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Machocruz

Arcane
But ... slowly but surely, as you are able to hand more escalating situations and come out on top your character begins to harden, have more resiliency, courage, self-esteem, confidence, believes in himself, his mechanical abilities also improves. He is able to consistently aim better, sprint faster, have more self-control, more knowledge of weapon handling, etc. This could also have a negative effect because if the returning character has already been through so much and has all that experience, the new game has to reflect that mechanically, and the game would probably not be as scary since the protagonist can handle himself so it has to be kept at a moderate level. This is also why there is so much female protagonist in the horror genre.
In Ethan's case, VERY slowly. Ethan started out as a total herb. Over the course of what he went through in 7, he would be a bit more competent, but that's not enough time or frequency to develop ability that would make this new situation less scary, especially if the threats are more formidable. Cool idea though. Would like to see it in a game that plays out over weeks and months.

Zlaja

Arcane
I have zero interest in Ethan as a character and I have zero interest in continuing 'his story'. What a hell were they thinking? And fuck old Chris too. Where are the Resi babes?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How come I never got a whiff of this early RE vs. later RE war thing when RE4 came out and everyone in gaming had a continuous year long orgasm over it?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Idk what's your problem with Ethan. He's basically a typical blank slate character for players to slot themselves into. Who even cares about characters in Resident Evil games?

Psquit

Arcane
I like REmake2, original re2 is fine but let's be honest here, It's the easiest RE game. As for Re7 I never played it, can't be THAT bad... but then again I paid 9.55 in total for both of them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Idk what's your problem with Ethan. He's basically a typical blank slate character for players to slot themselves into. Who even cares about characters in Resident Evil games?

My brief encounters with RE fanboys tells me yes, they do geek out over characters like Leon, Rebecca, Chris, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom