Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Starwars

Arcane
Was initially excited when it was announced but now things are starting to look like their usual bleak self when it comes to "modern takes".

The art style doesn't look good at all to me and (at least from screenshots which may be unfair to judge from) doesn't emit that warm and cosy feel that Monkey Island should have.

And I enjoy the visuals of some more modern adventure games. I think Broken Age looked pretty amazing. But this doesn't look good to me.

zapotec

Liturgist
Interview with Ron & Dave on adventure gamers + screenshots

gNi22a6.png
f5wwwfV.png
vn7HlC2.png
1Va019D.png

Looks like the new duck tales cartoon

lightbane

Arcane
Ron's explanation (that pixel art would get the game labeled as a throwback and hurt it commercially)
Welp, these pics and that interview are a warning sign. Then again, Ron has likely lost most of his braincells by being part of the woke cult by now, seeing how the Dolores game had a jab at DRUMPF! that made no sense in-universe, just because. Or allegedly his meltdown in Twitter, which I would like to see if someone saved it.

am starting to believe that antagonizing old fans of old IP is done on purpose for some reason (whole media landscape not just this game or games in general).

It's always the same damn thing: Break the old and shove up the new, even though it's invariably worse. See Disney Star Wars for example.

Alan

Educated
Fuck the pixel-art, fuck the old games. And especially fuck the fans

They got the license in their hands, and started thinking about whatever they want to do. These people have as much merit as anybody, if only because Ron Gilbert came up with the whole thing. I don't think anybody fought harder than them, and that's why they got it. Now why the hell should they pay any attention to what some nobodies think about their choices? Are they supposed to just enslave themselves under you people? Now that they are old and free? pffff

Games have not really good graphics these days. I don't think these screenshots are too bad, and couldn't care less what the old ones looked like. If I were Gilbert, I would feel like a moron trying to replicate the fucking pixels and blurry artwork. They probably looked at a bunch of options, and this is what inspired them. I approve of that, for the moment

btw, fuck verbs. Why even have them, unless you really really want them? Make your own adventure games, it doesn't look that hard

If this turns out to be a failure, I would embrace it. Embrace whatever comes out, why force things to be different. This will be the game that Ron Gilbert had in him, and I will be glad to see how it turned out. An honest effort. I have to respect that

Viata

Arcane
If this turns out to be a failure, I would embrace it
You can remove a man from the trash bin, but you can't stop him from enjoy eating trash, I guess.

This will be the game that Ron Gilbert had in him, and I will be glad to see how it turned out.
Given this post https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...and-david-grossman.142554/page-6#post-7881857 it seems like it is a game that Ron Gilbert didn't have in him until he finally got the license.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
It looks like complete and utter shit. My first thought was that there is absolutely zero craft to the art and no pride of work. It looks like a clip-art website from the 90s, busyness everywhere and no detail whatsoever. Clearly remote workers with no accountability.....and then I read the interview. Too many red flags to approach rationally and reading it pretty much flushed the toilet for me on this game.

I believe Ron and Dave, although clearly complete no nut cucks, hearts are pure in their involvement with it but its readily apparent they have next to no creative control and the team is remote cutting and pasting free vector graphics in their underwear as was immediately apparent. I advise to read the interview and abandon all hope ye who enter here.

One hour weekly slack calls can not and will not ever create a masterpiece in this or any other sphere.

It's a disgrace.

Manny

Educated
Regarding Return to Monkey Island, the interviews done and the images shown, one of the things that annoys me the most about the interviews is that hardly anyone asks Ron and Dave about puzzle design. It's really disheartening that this point is so unimportant to the press —and in my impression, the fans as well. About the graphics, I understand the buts and critics, and, in fact, I would have also expected something closer to Thimbleweed Park, but, honestly, I don't care too much about the chosen graphics, as long as the design, story and humor are top notch. The only adventure whose graphics really bothered me to the point of having a hard time playing it (although I still finished it) was QfG 5. Now, for me, the problem is if behind the choice of this type of graphics is really appealing to a certain audience. I hope not, and that Ron and Dave's vision of how they want the game to look has prevailed, and that they don't give a fuck about what the different groups of players expect, including all the fan service references, already spent in other adventures over the years (one more joke in an adventure about the three-headed monkey is something to cry about). In any case, it was expected that, regardless of what they chose, there would be divergent opinions due to the historical load of the saga.

The other point that I want to comment on that has come up in some previous comments is about the adventures of Telltale. I've played Tales of Monkey Island and all three seasons of Sam and Max by the time they came out. Tales and the third season of Sam and Max are pretty regular, as are the first episodes of the first season of Sam and Max. But, in my humble opinion, the final episodes of the first season, and, above all, the second season are some of the best games the genre has given, on par with the classics. In fact, I try to think of post-2000 adventures with an equal or better design than S&M Beyond Time and Space and only the first Edna & Harvey, the first part (before entering the city) of Primordia and Thimbleweed Park come to mind. And the fact that Dave Grossman was the design director for that second season, along with Thimbleweed Park being an excellent adventure (despite the excess of metahumor and the unnecessary diary; and yes, unlike many, the ending I thought it was exquisite) gives me some confidence/hope in this new Monkey Island. Of course, at the end, it could be a really shitty adventure, so I prefer to wait and see.

Boleskine

Arcane
The most exciting thing to me about all of this is that we'll potentially have a Roberta (and Ken) Williams game vs. a Ron Gilbert game at the end of this year. The two titans and pioneers of the genre will go head to head one more time.

Thimbleweed Park was oozing with Ron's endless butthurt over Sierra games generally outselling LucasArts games. I hope Return to MI delivers in that regard.

The borderline hysteria in this thread is amusing, given how excited people were at first hearing the announcement. The art style is a bit flat but what will matter most is if the game is funny and enjoyable. The former is a good bet, the latter has yet to be seen.

Last edited:

RapineDel

Augur
I could live with the background art but the character models are really disappointing, that awful looking Monkey basically blends into the background as well.

Considering that CoMI may have had the best ever art in a video game (certainly by 1997 standards), it's odd that the series regressed so badly art wise.. I'm really not sure how anyone thought this particular art style was going to help them commercially.

I can't see a scenario where someone who has no interest in Monkey Island, see this art and it tips them over the edge to buy the game.

The funniest thing about this whole thing is how you people actually thought this had even a remote chance of being okay. This is what you get: talentless zoomers butchering a beloved series under the guidance of a once great has-been developer, whose brain has thoroughly melted due to massive doses of Seattle sjw juice. Enjoy!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
And for those looking for more reasons to hate on this game:

Gilbert also confirmed that the new game will also see a return to the first game’s setting of Melee Island. The pair say they tried to get the original voice actors back where possible and have Danny Delk returning as Murray along with Alexandra Boyd as Elaine. They couldn’t get Earl Boen to return as LeChuck as he was very happily retired, but he did give them his blessing to recast.

Boen's 81 and has been retired for five years now.

Last edited:

talan

Augur
To me, the lesson here is really that people change -- when you talk abstractly about what kind of game you want to make vs. when you can feel the big money from a major license in your grasp. Thankfully, I'm tied to the mast of low-selling original IP, or I'm sure I'd been preaching the gospel of generously making the game 2021 players expect, rather than selfishly pursuing your own vision of truth and beauty.

He likely got it all out of his system with the making of Thimbleweed Park.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If CoMI is your high water mark you've let decline into your heart already. I spent years complaining about CoMI's art style (it's Disney-fied crap), and the whiny Guybrush voice-acting. This shit can't get any worse than people saying that's the best game ever for 25 years.

Considering that CoMI may have had the best ever art in a video game (certainly by 1997 standards), it's odd that the series regressed so badly art wise..
Yes, that's what irritates me about the series too. CoMI's art design is flawless, utterly brillant and of timeless beauty. Then they went downhill. EMI was quite ugly but stille bearable, Telltale's interpretation looked horrible and over the top, the remakes were so-so (without any doubt the best version to enjoy 1 and 2 is the Ultimate Talkie-version though). Judged from the first screenshots this Return to MI thing definitively looks the worst, an abomination, completely devoid of any originality, charme, talent. Maybe that's a postmodernist thing... ugly is the new beauty and so. If they think their artstyle is original they should have a look at The Journey Down to see how it' properly done.

Naraya

Arcane
If CoMI is your high water mark you've let decline into your heart already. I spent years complaining about CoMI's art style (it's Disney-fied crap), and the whiny Guybrush voice-acting. This shit can't get any worse than people saying that's the best game ever for 25 years.
Can't agree more. Curse of Monkey Island looks like a turd compared to the original series.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
MI1 is not influenced at all by Disney, of course.

The Pirates of the Caribbean theme park ride was a *very* loose influence (just the setting, basically); according to Ron, it was much more influenced by the historical fantasy novel On Stranger Tides.

Can't agree more. Curse of Monkey Island looks like a turd compared to the original series.

Yeah I was quite put off by the overly cartoony presentation of CoMI and Guybrush's whiny voice.

without any doubt the best version to enjoy 1 and 2 is the Ultimate Talkie-version though

That's a bit of a strong statement. *Some* people might enjoy the talkie talkie, but for me the voice acting just made the already quite bad HD version even worse. Same deal when you watch a movie adaptation of your favourite book and you go "WTF, they did not sound like that in my head *at all*". Some classic games without voiceovers are best left without them, forever.

El Presidente

Arcane
Fuck the pixel-art, fuck the old games. And especially fuck the fans

They got the license in their hands, and started thinking about whatever they want to do. These people have as much merit as anybody, if only because Ron Gilbert came up with the whole thing. I don't think anybody fought harder than them, and that's why they got it. Now why the hell should they pay any attention to what some nobodies think about their choices? Are they supposed to just enslave themselves under you people? Now that they are old and free? pffff

Games have not really good graphics these days. I don't think these screenshots are too bad, and couldn't care less what the old ones looked like. If I were Gilbert, I would feel like a moron trying to replicate the fucking pixels and blurry artwork. They probably looked at a bunch of options, and this is what inspired them. I approve of that, for the moment

btw, fuck verbs. Why even have them, unless you really really want them? Make your own adventure games, it doesn't look that hard

If this turns out to be a failure, I would embrace it. Embrace whatever comes out, why force things to be different. This will be the game that Ron Gilbert had in him, and I will be glad to see how it turned out. An honest effort. I have to respect that
Made me lol, thanks

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now why the hell should they pay any attention to what some nobodies think about their choices? Are they supposed to just enslave themselves under you people? Now that they are old and free? pffff

I think you're a bit confused. Of course, they can do whatever, and likewise, we are free to discuss our opinions on what they're up to as well. I can't remember anybody from here demanding that "they pay attention" or "enslave themselves" to "us people". Have I missed anything? I personally won't just automatically love *everything* Ron Gilbert does because he made a few good games in the past (well, really good ones, I'll give him that, including TP).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom