Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, I just started my first colony with the DLC, unmodded as well. First thing I notice is there's no ancient danger as far as I can see (which is mandatory in map generation in vanilla?). I think I read this in the patch notes in 1.1, that they were making them more interesting. But then there's the second thing I noticed:
Fuckin graveyards ruins.
Your images are not showing up my dude.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Also, I just started my first colony with the DLC, unmodded as well. First thing I notice is there's no ancient danger as far as I can see (which is mandatory in map generation in vanilla?). I think I read this in the patch notes in 1.1, that they were making them more interesting. But then there's the second thing I noticed:
Fuckin graveyards ruins.

I noticed that but thought it was just on my end. I right clicked and opened them in another window so the links work. Guess I be dumb =[

ChaDargo

Arcane
Fuckin graveyards ruins.

Nevermind, I'm a retard and linked the imgur page as an image rather than the address to the image itself lol

The one picture was just of the menu showing that Core and Royalty are separate files lol. The other was this

mbBdd9d.png

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
does then act was burial containers, or just decorations like statues? If last i'm sure a easy mod could be created to enable to for storage. Make a emperor throne like device hehe.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"More interesting ruins" is already coming through strong. The 'featureless marble wall' was fascinating for a few years but it was time for a change.

ChaDargo

Arcane
does then act was burial containers, or just decorations like statues? If last i'm sure a easy mod could be created to enable to for storage. Make a emperor throne like device hehe.

There's a sarcophagus to the left of the statues but I don't think they serve any function but aesthetic. You could definitely build a burial plot in front of them. What's cool about that start is there's a free table there, and those stele's and columns have pretty good beauty (what of the stele's has 90+ beauty). I love free shit!

Here's hoping the wealth spike doesn't kill me too fast though lol

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A
Also, I just started my first colony with the DLC, unmodded as well. First thing I notice is there's no ancient danger as far as I can see (which is mandatory in map generation in vanilla?). I think I read this in the patch notes in 1.1, that they were making them more interesting.

iLLGCNI.jpg

Ups

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When did amount of time played suddenly play in? In that case 40 bucks for Disco Elysium is the worst purchase ever.
Nothing "suddenly" played in - getting hundreds of hours of quality entertainment out of a $30 (or $50) purchase is and always has been a good deal, any way you slice it. Characterizing Tynan as a cruel exploitative money-grubber is ridiculous on its face.

Implying that time:$ must therefore be the only metric for good value is equally ridiculous.

Hey, it was you that made a point out of time played, it was you that brought up time as a criteria. And I'm sure Tynan has no intention of making aaaaany money at all, I mean, with the measly price at 17 Euro? No sir.

ChaDargo

Arcane
A
Also, I just started my first colony with the DLC, unmodded as well. First thing I notice is there's no ancient danger as far as I can see (which is mandatory in map generation in vanilla?). I think I read this in the patch notes in 1.1, that they were making them more interesting.

iLLGCNI.jpg

Ups

Lol did you dig into a mountain and that was there at random? God imagine a mech infestation where they have a factory and shit

ChaDargo

Arcane
When did amount of time played suddenly play in? In that case 40 bucks for Disco Elysium is the worst purchase ever.
Nothing "suddenly" played in - getting hundreds of hours of quality entertainment out of a $30 (or $50) purchase is and always has been a good deal, any way you slice it. Characterizing Tynan as a cruel exploitative money-grubber is ridiculous on its face.

Implying that time:$ must therefore be the only metric for good value is equally ridiculous.

Hey, it was you that made a point out of time played, it was you that brought up time as a criteria. And I'm sure Tynan has no intention of making aaaaany money at all, I mean, with the measly price at 17 Euro? No sir.

I hope Tynan has the intention of making as much money as possible (although he doesn't, I just wish he did). One of the things I'm delighted to see is this in my Rimworld directory:

iswEkFR.png

Expansions. With an S.

I hope the guy who made this amazing game and his growing team keep creating content that individual modders without funding could never rival. I hope they charge as much as they can for it, add more people to their team, and keep going. I hope they even make a new game that's as good as, if not better than, Rimworld. And then I hope they make even more money off of that. I'm not being facetious or playing devil's advocate either.

If you haven't noticed, most people are happy about this expansion and happy to pay for it and think Tynan deserves the money. Most people are appreciative of someone who creates something that they enjoy. I'm curious: do you envy Tynan and Ludeon for making something you enjoy, or do you mock their creation because you don't really enjoy it?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
lol since when is wanting some bang for your buck a problem....

a 20$ dlc on a 30$ game should deliver a metric shitton of content, if it doesnt its shit.

that isnt even specific to this game, just a general thing

ChaDargo

Arcane
A look at some of the new quests:
MYwH7uJ.png
AKBK4ic.png
kYaMHNj.png
mUGpIhg.png

What happens when you do a favor for royalty:
KwjnH4A.png
Some details about the royal hierarchy:
nbqHgDy.png
OcavFjX.png

ChaDargo

Arcane
This one in particular is cool, but I want to see what it's like to climb the Empire's ranks first (and I'm too scared to fight them with my three pussies).

vabVBUO.png

ChaDargo

Arcane
I've noticed quests happen even more frequently and are more interesting than in Vanilla or More Faction Interaction or other quest mods I used in 1.0. Most of this seems to be from the Royalty mod. I'm on Randy Rough, by the way, so I have no idea what it would be like on Cassandra or other difficulties.

I finally decided to take on a (seemingly) simpler/easier Royalty quest than that last one I posted. I almost didn't do it, but I decided I had enough steel to make a room real quick for the praetor requesting help. He's a fancy boy, so I couldn't accept the quest until I had a room with 24 tiles, double bed, dresser, end table, all floor tiled, room of 50 beauty.

Here's a shot of my colony. The praetor's room was carved out of a mountain in the upper left. I'll probably use it as a prison later lol
6rXtVpW.png

Here's the description of the quest after I accepted it (above is seconds after, raid was almost instantaneous). Accepting the quest brought the praetor, 3 random dudes, and 3 "janissaries." They're wearing something called recon armor and armed with assault rifles. I can fully control all 7 of these people as well. Also, I just noticed the thing in the bottom left of this pic, so I haven't used it. But when you hover over, unchecking it means you don't get royal favor, you get "other types of rewards." So that's cool.
Q1yxZt4.png

Lastly, here's a shot of something I didn't even think of... the praetor is a psychic freak, and these are the abilities he has:
sn4aHNp.png

He also has something called a monosword and a psyfocus shirt. And a really gay pink top hat... It's important to note that I can assign the guests to jobs, restrict them, basically do everything normally possible with pawns--but the game doesn't let you unequip them. Yes, I was going to steal their shit. I'm a bad host.

Edit: there's also something called Psychic Entropy, although I have no idea what it is. The praetor has something in his brain called a Psychic Amplifier which gives him Psychic entropy limit: x60%, and Psychic entropy recovery rate: x550%. I'm guessing psychic entropy is a consequence of the pawn using psychic powers and/or having them used on the pawn.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Well. 3 raids (lancer/scyther, just a scyther, then lancer/scyther) in one day was real fun. Without the jenissaries we would have been fucked, almost lost 2 of the jennies twice. Forgot the prissy boy had a giant sword or I would have used him. Well, I did use him indirectly in one fight, used focus on a jenny during the last fight. I think it helped, but now I know one of the effects of psychic entropy: psychic hangover. Mood debuff, slight increase in hunger and tiredness.

Also I found an interesting implant one of the jennies had, looked up some interesting info about the psychic amplifier implant, the most interesting aspect of which is the last paragraph in the screenshot below, and more details about what psychic entropy is and how it works.

sLAMGvg.png

f1FwkCQ.png

StDgjlz.png

Oh and these motherfucking empirical bastards will only eat certain food, not my lowly simple meals. So I had to scramble to make a butchering table and kill some rhino's to supplement my lowly agrarian society and make fine meals before they all starved to death or had mental breakdowns. Elitist pricks.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There are a lot of mods that are nearly obsolete now. Prostheics for example. We now have shitload of implants, with lots of exotic ones, like drill hands, boosting mining and armor penetration, various blades integrated into hands(and knees), love booster, that boosts morale bonus from fucking and having a lover, pain booster, pain negator, nuclear stomach, food poisoning remover and other weird shit. Hospitality is also rather obsolete.

Kuattro

Augur
I don't really see the problem with the DLC. I see it as the "support" edition of Battle Brothers' DLCs, you're paying 20€ for a banner, or in this case, for a glorified mod, not because you think it's worth it, but because you want to support an indie developer who you think does a good job and deserves to get some more money.

The fact that it offers little content (for the price) and most of it can easily be achieved by mods is in fact what makes it ok, as opposed to the Paradox model, which consists on taking a full expansion that would have been sold for 25€ 10 years ago, chopping it in six or seven pieces and selling each of those for 20€.

This is not a must have, it's a very overpriced side thing, if you like the dev, you buy it, if you don't, then you don't and as far as I can see you're not missing anything important. And as for mods requiring the DLC, after the 1.1. update apparently mods can work on different versions of the game without much trouble, so I don't see why, if some modder wants to make the DLC a requirement, they couldn't also make it compatible with a game without it.

And just in case, I don't particularly feel like a fanboy, I've just started playing this thing, I've barely spent five hours on it and they have mostly been starting colonies again and again to see how things work and trying mods. And I haven't bought the damn DLC, and probably won't unless I get really hooked in, because it is horribly overpriced.

Richard Leaks

Educated
This would be fine for 5 bucks, but 17 euros is too much for a noble system from DF, some items and a few random quests

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Ugh, OK. I love this game and I don't mind paying for its continued support but the DLC's content itself, I find VERY questionable and setting up a nasty precedent heavily in vein of Bethesda paid mods. The only saving grace I see here is the fact it adds music, but then again, the OST standalone costs half the price. As for everything else (like someone nicely summed up already):

Ruler system - done with mods
New Faction - Done with mods
Special Powers - Done with mods
New guns/clothes - Mods by the dozen
New building options - So many mods cover this

ChaDargo

Arcane
This would be fine for 5 bucks, but 17 euros is too much for a noble system from DF, some items and a few random quests

It's a very complicated nobility system tied directly to a psychic system and it's dozens of quests. Quite a lot of new armor, new mechanoids and mech mechanics. I think there's a lot more to it, but I'm still unearthing a lot of it. Also the new music is nice.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Ugh, OK. I love this game and I don't mind paying for its continued support but the DLC's content itself, I find VERY questionable and setting up a nasty precedent heavily in vein of Bethesda paid mods. The only saving grace I see here is the fact it adds music, but then again, the OST standalone costs half the price. As for everything else (like someone nicely summed up already):

Ruler system - done with mods
New Faction - Done with mods
Special Powers - Done with mods
New guns/clothes - Mods by the dozen
New building options - So many mods cover this

It's all intricately integrated into one mod and better than those mods you're referring to. And if you want those mods and not Royalty, nothing forces you to pay for it or play it. Also, because of the way mods have worked and will work, there's no relationship to Bethesda's bullshit. You'll never be required to use Royalty, it doesn't make anything obsolete if you don't want it to, and most mods will still rely on core for their functionality, not Royalty.

ChaDargo

Arcane
So at the last minute before sending off my pompous guest to wherever he came from, he decided to get upset and issue a decree: we had to kill a rat in two days or he'd start crying. Keep in mind that with this quest, if you don't keep the noble happy, you fail the quest (and I think other shit might happen). Also, we got a final mech attack. I was a bit worried because I had no idea wtf this was:

UuPf8w2.png

VFA104w.png

But the praetor bashed its head in while his jennies lured it into a narrow path. Vang got an upgrade to her nobility and we got a second psychic implant, giving her two abilities... and a bunch of shit she needs to make her happy. The praetor's "nobility" rubbed off on the bitch.

yGfucfy.png

Then I accepted a new quest. And finally went to sleep irl... after buying a slave and rescuing someone from a drop pod. God Randy is insane and addictive.

wLxYmxT.png

Space Satan and Van-d-all make good points about a lot of this content being similar to past mods. I've played all of those mods and then some. The seamlessness of this mod, how smoothly it all integrates (even on Randy), the attention to detail, the way it integrates with 1.1's new features, all make this mod better than those mods IMO. A great example is the various mods (can't remember the name of one in particular) that add new quests, or the mod that adds more world events. They just don't integrate as smoothly as this stuff.

What's cool, though, is that if you like those mods or don't feel Ludeon deserves $20 (lol), you don't have to use Royalty. And if you do like a lot of other mods and you like Royalty, it's not difficult for modders to integrate their stuff with Royalty (unless it's redundant of course). I'd love to see the Medieval modpack integrated with this. There's already stuff like this in development: Empire. I can't imagine what sorts of things could be done with Royalty, 1.1, and Save Our Ship 2.0.

And someone mentioned earlier, I forget who, that mods wil ltake 6 months to a year to get updated. Fortunately, that's not been the case for the past few years since build A16. Quick search reveals that things are coming along quickly (especially given that 1.1 was released on stable branch yesterday.)

Most subscribed mods which have been updated to 1.1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom