Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
kuklwb8sa3j41.jpg

A great deal
i9XeV7DUqhpULDJXUznYiAoKxkaoHPhSEwCDfIr9OdU.png

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
You seem kinda obsessed with the X-com reboot. How is it relevant? How is Battle Brothers relevant?

I think the DLC is on the priceir side, but it's not an atomised addon like you're saying with your comparison to Civ VI; it's not just unlocking shit like what Creative Assembly puts out, nor like with Paradox, where you have to pay extra for things to be fleshed out.

Bratislav and ChaDargo are right in comparing it to Brood War. It's an expansion, not the vapid DLC you're making it out to be.
Given scale comparison of said DLC I'd point out Hardcore SK (even though I don't like it personally) but it'll probably fall on deaf ears here anyways, as most of you never even heard of it.

nuXcom is relevant because it's the poster child of franchise pauperization, where the time between notable installments is huge enough that influx of new players overwhelms the old ones to a point where an absolute butchering of formula is actually welcomed. So much so, it falls into the corporate "duplicate success" scheme and is now spreading like cancer across the entire genre. That's also why Battle Brothers is notable, because it goes against said current, and actually gets recognized for it (plus it's an elegant release, exact in what it wants and actually can achieve without overstretching into half assed functionalities or mechanics). Those two games altogether are relevant, because they strike at the core issue of Royalty - developer choice. Vanilla Rimworld was a brave, unique idea that gathered much acclaim exactly because of its originality, however Royals are a stagnant, redundant addition intended to make easy money, and a welcome one at that.

Ludeon is seeking multiplayer devs. What wonderful future awaits us
vr82u8t3w4j41.png
Zerith's Multiplayer mod was released in 2018, but obviously you guys wouldn't know that either.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nuXcom is relevant because it's the poster child of franchise pauperization, where the time between notable installments is huge enough that influx of new players overwhelms the old ones to a point where an absolute butchering of formula is actually welcomed. So much so, it falls into the corporate "duplicate success" scheme and is now spreading like cancer across the entire genre. That's also why Battle Brothers is notable, because it goes against said current, and actually gets recognized for it (plus it's an elegant release, exact in what it wants and actually can achieve without overstretching into half assed functionalities or mechanics). Those two games altogether are relevant, because they strike at the core issue of Royalty - developer choice. Vanilla Rimworld was a brave, unique idea that gathered much acclaim exactly because of its originality, however Royals are a stagnant, redundant addition intended to make easy money, and a welcome one at that.

But regardless of what people think of nuXCOM, its major DLC ("enemy within" and "war of the Chosen") both feel like proper expansions of old, while Battle Brothers DLC feel more like modern ones (even though the price is fair for the content).
NuXCOM minor DLC seem similar in scope to Rimworld Royalty, though.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
vr82u8t3w4j41.png

This pleases me. Real time/fast forward with pause multiplayer is already done well by Paradox, its a solved issue. They just need to copy it. I do think games will be more interesting if you have an ally/competitor colony to trade resources and people with, and to raid together with.
Also I tend to sometimes go against my best interest and minmax like a fag instead of playing to have fun, another person in the game would police that. It could respark my love for the game in a way that this DLC failed to do (I already abandoned my new colony after just 5-6 hours and getting bored).

Zerith's Multiplayer mod was released in 2018, but obviously you guys wouldn't know that either.

Zerith's Multiplayer mod (which Zerith isn't even working on anymore, why not rename it?) causes desyncs, folds under the weight of your mod list, and just like every single non-native multiplayer solution for any singleplayer game, is glitchy and not very good in general. The "multiplayer" is just a single colony ran by 2-3 people. Its not separate colonies. Its not separate factions. Its a hack, and not a feature, and this is obvious from playing. Did you not play the mod you advertise?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
But regardless of what people think of nuXCOM, its major DLC ("enemy within" and "war of the Chosen") both feel like proper expansions of old, while Battle Brothers DLC feel more like modern ones (even though the price is fair for the content).
NuXCOM minor DLC seem similar in scope to Rimworld Royalty, though.
Indeed, although the rant about nuXcom wasn't about it's DLCs specifically, but rather on how even a complete reinvention of original formula can be welcomed, given enough time. A remark about the original Rimworld audience, and the current one in a way. A somewhat close analogy would actually be Obsidian / Outer Worlds, where the lack of obvious flaws, automatically made the game popular mainstrem, despite it's equal lack of interesting features. The Soylent Green.

Zerith's Multiplayer mod (which Zerith isn't even working on anymore, why not rename it?) causes desyncs, folds under the weight of your mod list, and just like every single non-native multiplayer solution for any singleplayer game, is glitchy and not very good in general. The "multiplayer" is just a single colony ran by 2-3 people. Its not separate colonies. Its not separate factions. Its a hack, and not a feature, and this is obvious from playing. Did you not play the mod you advertise?
Advertise where exactly? I point out it exists (and is among the few) that tackled the issue of multiplayer over a year ago (to an extent that was possible, and expanding those possibilities is exactly what devs should by working on IMO), and it's nothing new. I wouldn't recommend it if my life depended on it. I despise "fun with friends" & "coop" trash, following the Facebook model, they monetize social interaction in place of actual content.

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
Is it really fair to compare a small indie dev to the likes of Bethesda or Paradox and posit that they're going to end up releasing the same shells on 1.0 just because they've started adding DLC? Plenty of indie games have DLC, and you've got psuedo-indie studios like supergiant who've got real money behind them, and they still don't pull that shit.
For fuck's sake. It's not about releasing DLCs. Battle Brothers does. It's about the mindset of going for easy money for virtually obsolete content just because the general audience is going to swallow it. The pauperization of franchise. DLC nations in Civ6. DLC national focuses in HOI4. The list goes on.
The content isn't obsolete though. Try playing it, you envious dipshit.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I doubt this mo
vr82u8t3w4j41.png

This pleases me. Real time/fast forward with pause multiplayer is already done well by Paradox, its a solved issue. They just need to copy it. I do think games will be more interesting if you have an ally/competitor colony to trade resources and people with, and to raid together with.
Also I tend to sometimes go against my best interest and minmax like a fag instead of playing to have fun, another person in the game would police that. It could respark my love for the game in a way that this DLC failed to do (I already abandoned my new colony after just 5-6 hours and getting bored).

I doubt this moron plays this game much. He just likes to find an opportunity to shit on game devs because he has nothing in life.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The X-com comparison really just doesn't make sense to me. The time between the old games and the new ones isn't really on the same timeframe as 'old Rimworld players' and new. Like... yeah they didn't do DLC in EA, it's a terrible look; off the top of my head trash like ARK is the only mildly successful thing that's done that, and those multiplayer sandbox games do attract that generation of teens that grew up with DLC as a norm.

But War of the Chosen was a real expansion, and it coexists with stuff like Long War. These mods don't disappear because of DLC or anything. :?

Anyway I'm going to stop talking about 'nuXcom' because it's pretty irrelevant, and I'd encourage you to do the same or rethink, because no one sees the merrits of your current line of thought. It honestly just comes across as a hipster thing at this point.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, tried accepting missions with mechanoid clusters dropping on the map
Pros:
They sometimes drop endless power cells
Cons:
They drop turrets with huge range, sniper bots and shit that manufactures centipedes every two-three days

Yeah, I had a colony wipe

Humanophage

Arcane
It's funny how people encourage the 'losing is fun' mentality, but routinely use mods that make gameplay much easier and events more inconsequential. For example, in the normal game, once you get brain damage, your colonist turns into a semi-vegetable. However, some popular mods let you grow artificial brains or install chips, obviously counteracting this. It's especially notable because getting accidental brain damage from a bad shot is precisely the decent narrative-crafting that the game is marketed as. In practice, the general source of problems isn't stuff like this, but rather weird interface quirks, losing attention over some trivial micromanagement, or poor descriptions (e.g., your pet thrumbos in a quest not defending themselves from fire attacks for some reason). So these people encourage you to suffer because of the latter, but choose to forgo the legitimate challenges.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the normal game, once you get brain damage, your colonist turns into a semi-vegetable. However, some popular mods let you grow artificial brains or install chips, obviously counteracting this. It's especially notable because getting accidental brain damage from a bad shot is precisely the decent narrative-crafting that the game is marketed as.
Ehhhhhh ... while I don't completely disagree, there's a difference between getting wiped out by a challenge and having your very game pieces stop working like they should. I find the slow accumulation of unhealable scars and injuries in long games to be a real drag. Getting down to a choice between killing or banishing my own pawns, or building hospitals and supporting a population that permanently can't do their jobs, may be a fascinating study on the long-term socioeconomic impact of caring for the sick, but really doesn't make for peppy gameplay. Not that I think a snap of the fingers should dissolve all hardships either. I prefer to turn it into a new gameplay challenge: gather the resources and build the device that gets your pawn functioning again.

Humanophage

Arcane
Ehhhhhh ... while I don't completely disagree, there's a difference between getting wiped out by a challenge and having your very game pieces stop working like they should. I find the slow accumulation of unhealable scars and injuries in long games to be a real drag. Getting down to a choice between killing or banishing my own pawns, or building hospitals and supporting a population that permanently can't do their jobs, may be a fascinating study on the long-term socioeconomic impact of caring for the sick, but really doesn't make for peppy gameplay. Not that I think a snap of the fingers should dissolve all hardships either. I prefer to turn it into a new gameplay challenge: gather the resources and build the device that gets your pawn functioning again.
I think it is immensely reasonable that people accumulate scars and get maimed, so they get less efficient and eventually are incapable of performing their jobs even with implants. You can keep them doing some trivial work like cleaning, for example. Very much like something that can happen to a veteran.

On the other hand, here are some cases where I would have reloaded if I weren't so easily bullied into facing the challenge:
- Quest ran out because I ordered a constructor to concentrate on the plan, but he only concentrated on a section of it for no apparent reason. I was busy fighting so I did not micromanage him. He had construction as his priority one but decided to visit graves instead.
- Colonist died of hypothermia because the planning circle obscured the fact that they decided to deconstruct a wall while indefinitely postponing building a door. So he was sleeping in the open and the heaters didn't work.
- The context menu to heal a character did not appear, so I put him in the healing bed, but forgot to click on him again so the doctor would concentrate on him. The doctor ignored him in spite of being on priority 1. The character died.
- The thrumbos quest did not say anything about these particular thrumbos inexplicably not attacking people who shoot at them. Colony got wiped out by invaders as the thrumbos just kept running back and forth.

None of it was a challenge of any sort, just annoying control or explanation issues that make no sense except maybe if it's 1980s USSR: the Colony and everyone wants to subtly sabotage the government's efforts. This is anti-peppy gameplay. I would understand if this rhetoric came from some hardcore people. But they just turn their own game into a cakewalk with mods, then encourage everyone to waste hours which get wiped by the very unoptimised way in which the game works.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it is immensely reasonable that people accumulate scars and get maimed, so they get less efficient and eventually are incapable of performing their jobs even with implants. You can keep them doing some trivial work like cleaning, for example. Very much like something that can happen to a veteran.
"Realism is more important than gameplay, and all the best games are those that simulate real life as closely as possible. Fun!"

You're welcome to that opinion. I can't express my disagreement strongly enough.

On the other hand, I would have reloaded if I weren't so easily bullied into facing the challenge -
None of it was a challenge of any sort, just annoying control issues that make no sense
Personally, I find the AI logic usually makes sense. Agree it would be nice if it were smarter - not sure that's a reasonable expectation. One learns when and what to micromanage. That said, I am not an officer of the Ironman Police and if you feel the game broke its own rules and fucked you for invalid reasons, of course you should load a save.

... Ironic that you complain about being bullied into playing someone else's way ... yet make fun of others for playing their way ;)

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In the normal game, once you get brain damage, your colonist turns into a semi-vegetable. However, some popular mods let you grow artificial brains or install chips, obviously counteracting this. It's especially notable because getting accidental brain damage from a bad shot is precisely the decent narrative-crafting that the game is marketed as.
On my games if u too wounded to do anything i'm scanning your brain when the tech arrives and chopping your body for cash, and if not replaced by a robot, the cloning lab waits hehe.

Humanophage

Arcane
Personally, I find the AI logic usually makes sense. Agree it would be nice if it were smarter - not sure that's a reasonable expectation. One learns when and what to micromanage. That said, I am not an officer of the Ironman Police and if you feel the game broke its own rules and fucked you for invalid reasons, of course you should load a save.

... Ironic that you complain about being bullied into playing someone else's way ... yet make fun of others for playing their way ;)
The implication is that if I didn't have this character flaw of being easily bullied when someone says I am not hardcore enough, I would have played with saving and enjoyed the game more.

I recommend that other people pay less attention to the community because contrary to their claims of playing the game in a hardcore fashion 'as intended', they often play an easier version all the while bragging about Savage Randy. Instead, accept that the game has a very flawed interface without many UI mods, and just reload when it seems reasonable as you do in any other game.

oscar

Arcane
Yep, I recommend against over-modding because it inevitably ends up making the game easier and easier. 99% of mods give you more food, tools, time-saving mechanisms, gear etc without correspondingly increasing difficulty.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No. Autosetting food and medicine policy for prisoners is not making game easier and manually clicking on medicine and food types makes game more tedious and boring, not more challenging.

You all sound like mods add only imba stuff that mkes RimWorld a child's play while forgetting that shitload of mods add new raids, buff raid power, add shit like enemy capms preparing a tornado\rocket strike on your colony if you cannot take them out in time. Insect mods alone add tons of difficulties.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Royalty content add-on
We’re going to release a content add-on mostly focused on expanding Royalty content. It’ll be compatible with savegames and we’re going to try hard not to do anything to disturb mods either (which should be feasible if we stick to just adding new things).

With a huge amount of feedback available from the community, we’re in a better position than ever to find the best ways to improve the game, but the process is still iterative. So it’s not yet decided exactly what the content add-on will contain. Below is a list of things I’m considering, but I’ll emphasize that none of this is decided 100% so please don’t take any of these are promises. These are just concepts we’re looking at:

• A way to renounce or otherwise get rid of a royal title you don’t want.
  • More bulk production recipes similar to cooking, for things like drugs.
  • Additional combat psycasts: I’ve got designs written for a few psycasts that seem like they could add a lot of interest. Testing will reveal how beneficial these actually are.
  • A new element or two for mech clusters. Specifically, I’m looking at ways to to make it sometimes optimal for players to *not* fight a mech cluster for a long period of time, and instead leave it sleeping. The dramatic tension of having a mech cluster present on the map, but not yet fighting it, seems valuable. So, if we can find more ways to have players intentionally keep clusters around it could add a lot of interest to play stories. This needs gameplay testing, of course.
  • Additional quest content: This one is definitely in the ‘maybe’ category, but quests are very expandable and it would be nice to have a few more variations.
We’ll be running public tests of this stuff as we work on it, on Steam’s ‘unstable’ development branch. Everyone is welcome to participate and feedback will be highly appreciated as always, but be aware that this branch is called ‘unstable’ for a reason and everything may break at any moment.

Humanophage

Arcane
Probably the most amusing instance generated for me so far.

I was getting raided by a band of pirates. This was their sniper who didn't let me attack them from afar. I harassed them a bit but was forced to retreat after a pawn got hit, so they started preparing the assault. First this woman accidentally shot an elephant, but the elephant did not respond. Then as they charged, she overdosed on a drug (yayo = cocaine) and dropped unconscious, then died in the heavy rain. She was 17. That's probably the ditziest thing that I have seen from the AI at the moment.

UpWVJh1.jpg

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I had a mechanoid cluster with TWO INFERNO GUN TURRETS and barricades drop right at the entrance of my base. I had no mortars researched and that was gross. A note for future bases - buy at least one sniper rifle of ANY quality. This is the only thing, save for mortats, that can outrange new mechanoid long-range turrets.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I had 2 dormant mech clusters next to each other, but didn't have mortars or sniper rifles yet. I was researching mortars so I could take out the mech mortar when a message pops up: VISITOR.

Now they are awake and the mech mortar is just shooting my base and there is nothing I can do about it.

Zombra

Patron
I had 2 dormant mech clusters next to each other, but didn't have mortars or sniper rifles yet. I was researching mortars so I could take out the mech mortar when a message pops up: VISITOR.

Now they are awake and the mech mortar is just shooting my base and there is nothing I can do about it.
Time to move.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom