Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Citizen

Question: What is the best way to incapacitate attackers without killing them?

I just have an assault marine squad with jet packs and blunt weapons for capturing purposes

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is also a difficulty setting where you can alter the chance of killing a pawn on downing them, it might feel a little cheap if you lower it too far. I have it set to 75% and it seems fine to me.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone else had any issue with the game crashing straight away when opening or clicking anywhere in the main menu after the last update? Tried everything from updating drives, purging anything related to the game from computer and unsubscribing from all the mods and still having problems. The worse is that the game don't even give me a error message or a log.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I turned off Royalty DLC and the game is better without it. The various mods add more than enough variety to it.

Aemar

Arcane
Still don't understand how come fanatical.com gets a better discount deal than Steam (-16% vs -10%) from these Jews. Time to buy this game I guess, as I'm already familiar with this type of gameplay (Prison Architect).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Rimworld is way, way better than prison architect - in every possible way. It comes close to being one of the greatest strategy games ever made, slightly behind the Civilization series.

It has some weaknesses though, eg. the interactions outside your own map. That could have been done better.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
well only really good thing from the dlc is the new mechanoid stuff, but overall u can get better packs from mods.

I actually found the endlessly spawning mechanoid bases annoying and the royalty stuff is kind of meh. Feel the same way about the recent addition of more psychic and magic stuff.

The best mod is probably the hotel idea. It works great and is surprisingly balanced, including in how it allows more recruitment than just from capturing prisoners, buying from slavers or the few cryopods.

Rafidur

Learned
It's 10% off on GoG. I picture a fat goblin in gilded royal attire, sitting on his pile of lucre, wincing in unprecedented pain and reluctance as it gives the order to slash the price this heavily.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It has a hell of a lot in common with Prison Architect, but they really aren't competitors. The main challenge of Prison Architect is how to deal with all these people who have to be kept isolated enough to keep them out of trouble but not so isolated that they can't eat, work, etc. while Rimworld is much more open-ended.

Aemar

Arcane
It's 10% off on GoG. I picture a fat goblin in gilded royal attire, sitting on his pile of lucre, wincing in unprecedented pain and reluctance as it gives the order to slash the price this heavily.
a-goblin-prepares-for-the-launch-of-the-original-gringotts-wizarding-bank-at-warner-bros-studio-tour-london-007-1548761515.jpg

It's been stated that this game has generated around 100 million dollars in revenue since its early access release back in 2013, so my guess is these goblins are waiting for the 200 million milestone to apply a decent discount.

axx

Savant
It's a great game and totally worth the price, the thing is there are other great games out there with larger discounts, I like Rimworld but I'm not in love with it, I know even if I buy it it will be sitting in my library for a couple of years until I'm tempted to play it for a couple of months then stop, just like most other games. Also the -10% is kinda like a middle finger.
I followed development from first alphas and was thrilled by the prospects, until he started focusing on social aspects and interactions, stories and whatnot, too drawf-fortressy for my tastes, at least some aspects of it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does the late game get any more attacks from other factions or is it only mechanoids and infestations from now on?

Or maybe I need to launch my own raids now?

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
depends on location (where your colony is on the map). There's multiple factors to make other factions attack you besides the late war mechanoids and space pirates, was for example how far away their closest colony is, their time it takes to reach u if is possible to reach u at all, diplomatic will, RNG from the story tellers and so on.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In the late game they start hitting you with different kinds of raids. Just when you think you can take on anyone, you get a bunch of guys airdropped right into the middle of your town and suddenly you've got to think on your feet.

Nirvash

Liturgist
There is not really a late, is mostly about how "rich" and how many people you have, the more value/people the strongest the raids.

"pro" gameplay is all about optimization of $$$. (like, paved stone floor/walls are the best, pretty but 0 value)

Rafidur

Learned
There is not really a late, is mostly about how "rich" and how many people you have, the more value/people the strongest the raids.

"pro" gameplay is all about optimization of $$$. (like, paved stone floor/walls are the best, pretty but 0 value)

There are mods to fix this.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In the late game they start hitting you with different kinds of raids. Just when you think you can take on anyone, you get a bunch of guys airdropped right into the middle of your town and suddenly you've got to think on your feet.

I have about 20 people and the only raids I get are mechanoids and infestations. Maybe I am too far away from enemy factions, though at least the pirates could simply airdrop their people. Unless they do not have that many pods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom