Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise To Ruins

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by thesheeep, Jan 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Since a lot of people talk about They Are Billions right now, I was wondering how there is no topic about Rise To Ruins here.
    There are pretty big similarities between those titles IMO.

While TAB offers direct control, RtR is more of a Settlers-like game with you as a god figure (including godly powers).
    It is in EA since 2014 ( :lol: ), but really absolutely playable. Full of features and if there are bugs, I didn't find any.

Here's my Steam review:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Blows billions straight out the water tbh. More charm, more gameplay, more fun. Sure it's been in development a lot longer but looking at billions I don't think that's going to matter much in the long run.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    bump for this

^ Top  
  4. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    It has its charm, I admit, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I was rather disappointed by it.
    I admit that I played it some time ago, so things might have changed for the better, as thesheep already mentioned.

Nevertheless the game felt pretty shallow for me and I couldn't find enough interesting things to keep playing more, after I "maxed-out" my village.
    As far as I remember, you coudn't even turn your buildings around before placement (?). The AI was also not that good in prioritizing jobs and dealing with multiple assignments.
    It also suffers from FPS drops the more people you have.

But I feel I got my money's worth. It's just not a title that I'll go back to. Not with Gnomoria, Ingnomia available. Not even mentioning Dwarf Fortress, which is always a comparison benchmark in that genre.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This is true, of course. Once you brought your village to a state that you can consider safe, there isn't much reason to continue.
    However, different starting areas really come with their own challenges, so starting over somewhere else spices things up.

Adding to that, in recent versions it actually makes sense and adds challenges to have multiple villages.
    I actually remembered wrong in the other thread. What happens is this (quoting dev post from September, and that was just one of many bigger changes):
    I didn't play that version myself, yet, but it sounds intriguing.

I don't really see the problem here, almost all buildings are pretty quadratic and have multiple entry points. Of course, it would be a nice feature, I just doubt it was high priority (might even be in by now, no idea).

Didn't experience the FPS problems.
    The way to deal with multiple assignments is manual prioritization and not having many new assignments to begin with. Only building 1-3 new things at a time.

Didn't even know about Ingnomia, will keep an eye on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Lol!

I just lost my first settlement in winter, because it seems monsters can now attack walls.
    That never happened in the past, so I assumed walls are absolutely haram (except if the path is blocked) and was completely annihilated by the mobs just walking around my maze in a hole they made.

But now, as more and more monsters walk a tile, its "travel cost" increases and at some point that causes monsters to not use your maze but look for an alternate path.
    The only solution to that is to have double or even triple external walls - that seems to make them less "attractive" to attack. The more you know...

But that also brings me back to my biggest gripe with the game: No saves.
    The last 8 hours or so of playing were entirely for naught. I truly wish the game would create saves at least at the start of a new season...

^ Top  
  7. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    I've been playing this for the last few days, it's a really charming little game. Graphics are great. I love how the essence (mana) flies all over the map, feeding your defense tower complex, and the villagers just stand confused whenever i perform some miracle in front of them. Like, why is this forest growing out of nothing here? If you're gonna play this remember that corruption creeps through all terrain, including mountains.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Is penning corruption in worth it, or not? On one hand, it lets me control the playing field, so to speak, on the other, enemy tends to be more aggressive, and usually fucks me by deciding he'll just attack someplace other than the maze

^ Top  
  10. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i remember i loved this little game when i tried it, i've been this close to buying it, what killed my enthusiasm is the impossibility to push back the creep, each and every city you build is doomed, sooner or later. "losing is fun" to me is exactly like "fighting for peace" and "fucking for virginity".

^ Top  
  11. kris Arcane

kris
    It is not impossible to psuh back the creep, you have long been able to do that. Towers quickly push it back, in an earlier game I pushed the creep into a corner. Ballista towers are great for creating something akin a demilitarized zone to give you space and then you build new walls and new towers in a forward motion to advance.

The real problem is those nasty fire elementals, you really have to dig lakes and be around to grab them, because they can quickly crash part of your defense. Water is a great ally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    I don't think it's worth it rushing to contain the corruption. What I'm doing is counter-attacking from a small but well defended position.

^ Top  
  13. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Unless they have changed the game, it is very much impossible to push back the corruption. It spawns inside of the mountains. And the intensity of the rectal activity scales inversely, so when you are just about to win, the game starts spawning shit behind your line of defense. Enemies that are practically unkillable. Shitter zombies with thousands of hitpoints.

Absolutely retarded mechanic.

I guess if I had another go on the same map, I could box the corruption in, dig out the entire mountains facing the map edge and then push the rest of it. But that was already so fucking tedious that I don't want to touch the game ever again.

The whole tower defence is just a chore. You have to micro the waves because of the supermobs that spawn randomly. And the only (late game) viable way to pick them up and toss them into ze oven. Which is a lot of fun when the mob can be a tiny tiny glowy skeleton.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    it doesn't spawn inside the mountains but it does spread through them. It's actually beneficial to you since it counts as controlling the map while posing no threat to you. If you allow it to spread into open land then it will start spawning shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    People who try to play a single map eternally to spread the corruption back entirely are playing it wrong to begin with.
    You cannot "defeat" the corruption - you can only push it back so far.
    There should always come a point where your defenses cannot keep up with the corruption growth. You have a ceiling of how strong your villagers & towers can get, but the corruption continually increases in power without limit.
    For longevity of your colony, the best idea is to actually make "your" area as small as possible while still being large enough for a large town. Leave as much space as you can to the corruption to have less pressure on it (making it grow stronger slower).

Starting a new map also lowers the overall corruption strength.
    That is how you manage corruption.
    So, land on a map, become a stable colony. Send surplus villagers to other map.
    Once you sent enough, switch to that map.
    Repeat.

To actually "win" the game, you have to have a stable town on all maps - I think it was surviving for 2-3 years in each or so.
    I don't think that's a very great victory condition, either.
    Truly, I love the game, but even I couldn't keep playing it long enough to do that on all maps.
    But I do like the mechanic of it being impossible (or supposed to be) to eternally play one map.

^ Top  
  16. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    I got a really big first village so i decided to try to wipe out the corruption in my second village. Started with 40 villagers and some resources and already had 20 or so golems spanking the monsters by day 3. At day 15 I'm still chasing the corruption around the map but with 100 golems I'm confident i can root it out before it starts spawning anything dangerous. I own the whole map except the NE and SE corners.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    so it's been changed, in the old build i tried there was no way to push the creep back. i should fetch a newer build then.

^ Top  
  18. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    I have to sadly report that you cannot wipe out the corruption. I got to the point where i couldn't "compress" it any further. It may be possible if you have a huge mountain range to contain it indefinitely but i can't do that on my current map.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.