Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords revealed in PC Games magazine

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'd buy a remake of the gothics with a better control scheme.

Angthoron

Arcane
They should try a Ks campaign for hd remakes of Gothic 1/2; would even probably be more profitable then this crap.
This would actually be a pretty smart thing to do. I'd buy an HDfied Gothic 1 (2 still stands on its own just fine, but hey, prettify away) right away.

That said, I guess I'll buy Risen 3, the series so far has been a bunch of hit-and-misses, games that are at the core fun but with a very uneven execution of that core. I enjoy them, but can't help but fret at the thought of what G and R series could've been if only PB had less shitty publishers. Fuck, if they were published by ZeniMax instead of Bethesda, goddammit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had fun with Risen 2, but, yes I also think that Risen 1 is clearly superior.

Definitely agree with Angthoron, the series (just like Gothic) is a wild mixture of hit-and-miss game design. But all of them are at the very least fun to play. Though some after X patches and Y mods ;)

This would actually be a pretty smart thing to do. I'd buy an HDfied Gothic 1 (2 still stands on its own just fine, but hey, prettify away) right away.
So why make HD remakes for absolutely 0 reason when the originals still stand fine on their own? Yeah, sure, it's just graphics, so you might think "Nothing can go wrong, so why not do it just for the heck of it?".

But then you remember Trent Oster or the Realms of Arkania Remake guys and suddenly, an HD-cashgr.. erm remake doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

Strange that they make Risen 3. Didn't, they get back the rights to the Gothic franchise? Those screens looks to much over the top, trying too hard to be cool.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Strange that they make Risen 3. Didn't, they get back the rights to the Gothic franchise? Those screens looks to much over the top, trying too hard to be cool.

They have a contract with Deep Silver for 3 Risen games. It was expected.

so it loooks nothing like a risen 2. i am guessing this is remake of risen 1 which was remake of gothic 1.... germans gonna german no innovativeness since Final Solution:M

Three cheap B grade consoltard derivatives in a row; this is no longer the same development studio. RIP Piranha Bytes (2001-2006)

Severian Silk

How is combat different in Risen when compared to Gothic 1 or 2? I liked the combat in G1 and G2. I was able to map my controller buttons to arrow keys and so forth and it was quite fun and smooth to play.

Yeah, sure, it's just graphics, so you might think "Nothing can go wrong, so why not do it just for the heck of it?".

But then you remember Trent Oster or the Realms of Arkania Remake guys and suddenly, an HD-cashgr.. erm remake doesn't sound so appealing anymore.
You are comparing apples and oranges. RoA required an all-new 3D engine coded from scratch. Gothic would just need stuff like new models and textures and maybe some other minor effects.

A comparison that *would be* valid is if they took the original RoA engine and doubled the sprite sizes, increased the number of colors to 24 bits, and sprinkled some particle effects here and there.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, those screenshots look pretty generic, so there's nothing to be excited or disappointed about yet. I hope they've learned from R2 and still have the capacity to make good games - unlike, say, Bioware, they haven't released 3 or 4 unquestionably shitty games in a row, so there's still hope for PB.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How is combat different in Risen when compared to Gothic 1 or 2? I liked the combat in G1 and G2. I was able to map my controller buttons to arrow keys and so forth and it was quite fun and smooth to play.
Combat in Risen mostly consisted of turtling behind a shield (you could block constantly, unlike the timed blocks in the Gothic games) and occasionally popping your head out to attack. Sadly, the higher level enemies were really good at parrying which lead to some really tedious fights towards the end game. It's easier than combat in G2, and less fun imo, but not that bad.

Yeah, sure, it's just graphics, so you might think "Nothing can go wrong, so why not do it just for the heck of it?".

You are comparing apples and oranges. RoA required an all-new 3D engine coded from scratch. Gothic would just need stuff like new models and textures and maybe some other minor effects.

A comparison that *would be* valid is if they took the original RoA engine and doubled the sprite sizes, increased the number of colors to 24 bits, and sprinkled some particle effects here and there.

I'm not directly comparing them as such, but rather try to outline what happens when potentially good ideas meet bad execution. Considering, however, that Gothic 1 and 2 still run fine on modern systems, enhancing them doesn't even sound like a good idea to me (heh, apples and oranges indeed).

It's obviously true that the RoA remake (a complete rewrite) can't really be directly compared to an HD-facelift. But that's why I also mentioned Oster: The BG EE was also supposed to be nothing more than added hi-res support + a bunch of minor content mods, something you wouldn't think they could screw up. Yet they did, and they did so in a most spectacular fashion.

PB have lost a lot of talent over the years, so an EE-like Gothic debacle is not out of the question, even if the prospect of "just some models and textures and other minor effects" might seem rather harmless at first glance.

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Both Risens are garbage. As well as Gothics. I quit Gothic 1 after pressing W for 10 minutes to get fucking somewhere. Idiotic larpers call that gameplay. Finished Gothic 2 - felt like a 42 km run, multiple times over. Gothic 3 trolololol.
Now Risen! Thats another beast altogether. Just kidding. Quit Risen 1 after half an hour fetching around shit in the swamp and arrow kitting mudcrabs. Horrible creatures. Quit Risen 2 midway cause I could not bear any more running simulations. It did look pretty though.
So, Risen 2 > Risen 1.... There is hope for 3 yet.

Dexter

Arcane
Found the PCG article on the Intertubes for people with :obviously: German skillz: http://imgur.com/a/xWHRF

ZhbtOL3.jpg

VcKihCq.jpg

kY0jFzW.jpg

2eIlXBY.jpg

DzqGNZD.jpg

BhEjLhj.jpg

2O5QMoK.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Both Risens are garbage. As well as Gothics. I quit Gothic 1 after pressing W for 10 minutes to get fucking somewhere. Idiotic larpers call that gameplay. Finished Gothic 2 - felt like a 42 km run, multiple times over. Gothic 3 trolololol.
Now Risen! Thats another beast altogether. Just kidding. Quit Risen 1 after half an hour fetching around shit in the swamp and arrow kitting mudcrabs. Horrible creatures. Quit Risen 2 midway cause I could not bear any more running simulations. It did look pretty though.

:1/5:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"I hate the Piranha Bytes so much I can't help but play all of their games."

Fucking Codex is turning into a parody of itself.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

:0/5:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Anyone feel like translating some of the highlights from that article?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, just read through the scans... it might turn out both ways, really.

On the positive side, they talk a lot about going back to previous design choices because Risen 2 was "too experimental", the game will be less linear, 3 facshuns, fancy monocle will have a use this time, training needs geld again, and the combat system will be "drastically improved" because they realise it's been the subject of the greatest critique when it comes to Risen2.

The game's plot seems to be centered around an island called Taranis, where the local mages have decided to invoke a SINGULARITY @_@ to stop the titans and save mankind. Meanwhile, your new main character is being PLAGUED BY NIGHTMARES OF HIS VANISHING HUMANITY! and can both gain humanity or violate the masquerade during the course of the game.

Seems fast travel will be done again via "main ship going through islands", and it's not stated outright that the ship won't have more uses. Also, it's supposedly "their biggest game yet", but total playtime is not specified.

HOWEVER

You can still get healed by potions on quickbar, but it's not really specified whether it's Risen 1 way that still has an animation, or Risen 2 that is instant. There's also a constant minimap, and most people in cities still have IDDQD. It is also rather worrying that they mention you can "escape from fights with a half-automated short-range teleport", and it would appear the retarded Risen 2 style menus are still in.

I dunno, really. Best just wait and see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom