Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords revealed in PC Games magazine

Morkar Left

Holy shit. Regarding that Interview with Pankratz Risen 3 will turn out to be complete garbage. He must have been really impressed by Gothic 4 Arcania or something. Wow, I'm starting to think that he's the guy who's responsible for the decline of PB.
He basically will even more focus on the console mass market and abandon even more what the Gothic titles made stand out. Hadn't thought he's that much clueless. But typical German behaviour regarding video games; even they made something original they are completely ignorant about what made their games stand out in the first place. Instead to reduce the weaknesses they start trying to copy American video games. Happens every single time and then the franchise goes downhill.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really hope they go back to Risen1 style of having animations for all the eating and drinking. It was really decline that they changed it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Holy shit. Regarding that Interview with Pankratz Risen 3 will turn out to be complete garbage. He must have been really impressed by Gothic 4 Arcania or something. Wow, I'm starting to think that he's the guy who's responsible for the decline of PB.
He basically will even more focus on the console mass market and abandon even more what the Gothic titles made stand out. Hadn't thought he's that much clueless. But typical German behaviour regarding video games; even they made something original they are completely ignorant about what made their games stand out in the first place. Instead to reduce the weaknesses they start trying to copy American video games. Happens every single time and then the franchise goes downhill.

I boiled in raeg when he pulled the nostalgia card + "there are some convenience measures that are simply expected today, like a constant minimap" :/

Lancehead

Liturgist
Potion-drinking animations are okay. They'd be a good mechanic if npcs had them too. Of course, that'd require npcs to have proper inventories and an AI that's smart enough to use potions.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

You forgot another agent of decline: Deep Silver. If they ask PB to do this or that, PB has to follow suit.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I boiled in raeg when he pulled the nostalgia card + "there are some convenience measures that are simply expected today, like a constant minimap" :/
The funniest part was the "we can't simply make the same game over and over" - but you have been doing exactly that for most of your career!

Morkar Left

I started a bit raging by his first comments about that they hid too much cool things in the beginning and combat is boring at the start and they need to show the player all the combat moves right away (probably some dream sequenz, hence Arcania).

Or that most players missed the "rafinesse" in the combat system that was hidden there with dirty tricks. By the time you could use dirty tricks they were to used to just leftclick-spamming to win instead to use the special moves. Duuude! When you can just leftclick-spamming your enemies to death special moves are pointless! No matter when you get them!

Or in Risen 3 you can now block animal/monster attacks. Arrgh, that's what was made fighting animals/monsters special in the first place in Gothic. You had to use different tactics for them because of that...

Or that, yeah, they put some more world interaction in. That's great! But it's not great that they're doing it only because the fans basically force/demand them to do it and not because they actually acknowledged that as a defining part of what made Gothic outstand from the competition.

Or minimaps are sooo cool...

Rest doesn't actually sound that bad. It's just that their mindset doesn't seem up to that what I think (and I guess many more) made their games great. No balls...

Time to go drinking...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's going to be rightfully crushed by Witcher 3.

Maybe, however Gothic 2 NOTR is still gonna be 10x better than anything CD Projekt will ever make so it's OK.
a9qQpk.jpeg

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Or in Risen 3 you can now block animal/monster attacks. Arrgh, that's what was made fighting animals/monsters special in the first place in Gothic. You had to use different tactics for them because of that...
They also wrote that not being able to block animals in Risen 2 (didn't play it myself) was part of some "Shitstorm list" or whatever, things their "fans" critizised the most in that game.
So if even those "fans" give such bullshit popamole feedback then of course all hope is lost. :(
One of the few things that really annoy me in Risen is how you can just hide behind your shield all the time and feel save. Doesn't make it popamole because beating enemies is still not easy (especially groups of them) but still, the Gothics handled that so much better.
If eating and drinking animations are in is what will make or break it though, because if they aren't fights will just be braindead button mashing anyway.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They also wrote that not being able to block animals in Risen 2 (didn't play it myself) was part of some "Shitstorm list" or whatever, things their "fans" critizised the most in that game.
So if even those "fans" give such bullshit popamole feedback then of course all hope is lost. :(

No, that was a completely justified feedback, R2 was practically unplayable before they patched it because due to the weird animal behaviour the fights against them followed the following formula - you approach the animal, the animal kills you. Again and again and again. The block in the patch was a fucking godsend.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Why are people still making armors that look like that in 2014. I just don't understand. Unless you live in a cave, that kind of art style has been done to the motherfucking death.

Also, eveything has two threads in the codex. Blame Infinitron for increased server load.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hope the islands are less corridored this time around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom