Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Tigranes

Arcane
Kila and Talanis(?) is much more impressive than Antigua and Tacarigua (which are asset recyclers and bare bones areas) and everything is 300% better than the fucking tutorial island. The game does an even worse job than R2 of making the player hyped at the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, it's still not proper PB quality, and in some way R3 really makes me want to replay R1. But it's not rubbish, it's pretty entertaining, and it would be really really good if it had R1's melee combat...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
playing in german, i'm liking it quite a lot more than risen 2. not more than beginning of risen 1, but it could overall be better if it doesn't fuck up late game like r1 did.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Quest markers have been in RPGs for a long time, why act surprised? As long as they are not badly implemented like in Skyrim its alright (meaning you can figure out the quest without the arrow, in Skyrim you cant).

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
SAFOFQz.jpg

I laughed way too hard.

Also, tits is my sister? Since when?

And how huge is the pirate simulator? Risen 2 promised it, but at the end of the day you didn't have much choice on who you could recruit and whatnot.

This guy is a new protagonist, developers decided he should be patty's sister apparently. No idea what happened to the original guy(the one from risen1,2.) yet.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Quest markers have been in RPGs for a long time, why act surprised? As long as they are not badly implemented like in Skyrim its alright (meaning you can figure out the quest without the arrow, in Skyrim you cant).
You can, cast clairvoyance.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't take these criticisms seriously anymore because I haven't heard of an action game where the combat doesn't suck by codex standards. G1 and G2? COMBAT SUCK. The Witcher? COMBAT SUCK.
New Vegas melee
Pardon me while I die laughing. One of these days you'll get Sawyer's cock out of your mouth. For the record, Risen 1 combat was good. Witcher combat failed mostly because of the wonky QTE nature of it. Amalur had decent combat with the exception of the shitty QTE finishers but it was undermined by the fact that the game was piss easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pardon me while I die laughing. One of these days you'll get Sawyer's cock out of your mouth.
It accomplished its goals given the constraints of working on a successor to a kitchen-sink-style game.

For the record, Risen 1 combat was good.
No tells on humanoid enemies plus circle-strafe with shield up and power attack once you unlock it all the time isn't good imo. The jankiness of Risen combat becomes all-too-apparent when the game becomes nothing but that and dungeon puzzles.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok until now I have to say it's way better than Risen 2!
And since I'm an atmofag (besides being a storyfag, but story isn't the strongsuit of PB except maybe Gothic 1 due to the great setting) and don't really care about mechanics and stuff as long as they're not completely fucked up I like it even better than the first Risen thus far.
What's really good here is that it's a living, breathing, original world once again, which I like to explore. Also, there are some characters which are at least a little bit memorable-ish, a thing that didn't happen since Gothic 3.
Of course R3 isn't the game I've always waited for and has it's weaknesses. Like controls, menu, some bugs etc.
But that's okay, because it seems to maybe have some kind of soul again. Something the Risen-series lacked completely until now.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I suspect now I am halfway done with the game or so. Just joined the Guardians and got to try out crystal magic.

Basically if you want the 'stripped down' feel which in G1/2 extends to visuals/atmosphere as well as gameplay (i.e. infrequent flashy magic, mostly about mano y mano fencing), that's not what you get. Instead it's about adding various components to give players more options. Whereas in some cases in older PB games magic took so long to cast and was so rare it was useless in some fights and took a lot of care to use, it is now much more versatile - for crystal magic you can learn 'melee' damage spells to substitute for swordplay (though not quite as powerful I think), and actual 'spells' now have much faster casting time so you can actually jump into the fray, cast rain of fire, then whip out your fire fist and fight. There is crystal magic, voodoo and rune magic it seems, though I assume I now can't access the latter.

So on one hand this versatility - I'm not even counting firearms here, I haven't invested points so I don't know if it's as OP as in R2 - means the game is easier. You don't die again and again to enemies like you used to when you first played G1/2. But it also means that, even in terms of melee combat, there's a lot more stuff you can do. I wish they had restored the old PB style, but for what it is, it works OK and is fun to play - because there's also some good old PB'y magic like turning enemies berserk, telekinesis, or flying (which you now do in the form of a parrot).

Exploration also I would say is better than R2, if not quite the old PB standard. The islands are more packed and there are some cool areas like the voodoo village composed of networks of rickety wooden bridges over high altitudes. You also find cool stuff hidden on places like the top of the roof, again in the good old PB style. And as I said before, it's really cool how every island is designed visually and questwise in alignment with its backstory, and how backstories fit in with other islands & Previous games.

There is also a lot of quests and content in this game, I suspect more than R2, which belies the bare bones asset recycling impression that the first two places you'll probably go to (Tutorial & Antigua) give you. (Seriously, why would you do that? It's one of the worst intros ever in terms of misrepresenting your game.) Talanis alone, if you join the guardians, throws something like 30 things to do at your face. Hell they even have minigames again (knife throwing, fist fight, etc) as if this was some kind of Witcher lite.

So yeah. The old PB is definitely gone, and this is definitely not a 'hard' game. But it is still a fun game to play which retains flashes of good old PB quests / exploration.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What are the quests like? Fairly standard fetch and kill quests? Interconnected but kind of standard like G1 and 2? Do they have lasting consequences and influence? Choices?

Also I'd rather play as Patty than this other stupid made up Steelbeard character.

bonescraper

Uh, i can't decide which faction to join. I liked voodoo in R2, so i'm kinda thinking about becoming a voodoo pirate, but i really haven't seen much of voodoo gameplay in R3. I know possession is back, and possession quests in R2 were really fucking cool. Also, i would really like to see a complete spell list.

Tigranes

Arcane
What are the quests like? Fairly standard fetch and kill quests? Interconnected but kind of standard like G1 and 2? Do they have lasting consequences and influence? Choices?

Also I'd rather play as Patty than this other stupid made up Steelbeard character.

No PB game ever had elaborate chains of quests and C&C. It was always about fetch and kill and other basic mechanics, spiced up through interesting / amusing circumstances or details. E.g. you can rat on one guy in quest A, then later in quest B he will now refuse to cooperate just to spite you, at which point you can bend over or find another way to fuck him over again. I suppose on the whole the quests are the same kind of deal you would have found in R1, and in much of G1/2.

To me the fun is mainly in the silly bits (a gnome who wants to 'go independent' in his shiny things searching, a pirate who thinks he is hearing voices, etc), and in collecting those legendary 'items' based on hints like in R2, 'steal x y and z' thievery quests, etc.

Uh, i can't decide which faction to join. I liked voodoo in R2, so i'm kinda thinking about becoming a voodoo pirate, but i really haven't seen much of voodoo gameplay in R3. I know possession is back, and possession quests in R2 were really fucking cool. Also, i would really like to see a complete spell list.

Let us know how it is if you join, I wanted to try some kind of magic ASAP so went with the guardians. So far, in terms of one-use spells, I've seen the following 15 or so:

• Heal (Crystal)
    [*][*]Fire fist & ice fist (Crystal)
    [*][*]Rain of fire (Crystal)
    [*][*]Rust locks, but I'm not sure how it works (Crystal)
    [*]Raise dead enemy (Voodoo)
    [*]Vampiric touch kind of thing (Voodoo)
    [*][*]Parrot flight (Voodoo)
    [*][*]Berserk (Voodoo)
    [*][*]Lingering Touch, damage over time (Voodoo)
    [*]Heals grouop (Rune)
    [*][*]Shockwave, damage to those around you (Rune)
    [*][*]Armour buff spell (Rune)
    [*][*]Demon blade, apparently faster attacks or something? (Rune)
    [*]Summon hellhound & summon something else (Rune)
And 2 or 3 more in my inventory that I forget.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Explored Kila, did a lot of quests there. Some of the NPCs are amusing and I like the transform into a parrot ability, but I'm really not feeling the exploration/world design at all. It feels like the most you can get from exploring every nook and cranny is yet another chest with mostly useless stuff or a little bit of additional gold. Not really worth going through all the boring combat for. I think I'll just tag along the main quest(s) instead.

It also doesn't help that the game has a good deal of bugs for me. I can't complete a couple of quests on Kila because the next step just refuses to trigger (I even had to check the walkthrough to make sure).

By the way, is it true that you can't join the mages proper, only the guardians or w/e they're called? If so, that's disappointing. Can't join the inquisition either, and the natives are incredibly irritating.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Instead, we're left to guide Steelbeard Jr as he fights to reclaim his soul, which has been stolen by an evil shadow demon whose malevolent forces are wreaking havoc across the world by popping out of portals. So it's one part Oblivion to one part Dark Souls

No, Eurogamer dude, it's 100% Elder Scrolls Online. Kids these days don't even play the big RPGs anymore :outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom