Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
By the way, is it true that you can't join the mages proper, only the guardians or w/e they're called? If so, that's disappointing. Can't join the inquisition either, and the natives are incredibly irritating.
Curious how the factions break down then. Seems like PB peaked in Gothic 2. Even Risen 1's factions were limited to Don or Order -- the latter having only the faintest of difference between Warrior of the Order and mage. Risen 2 didn't really have faction aside from a shallow choice of siding with the Inquisition or Natives for a limited part of the game. Did they improve on factions at least getting them back to R1 level?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are 3 factions now and they really differ from each other.They have different areas and characteristics as usual.

-Pirates with support from voodoo tribes.
-Guardians, kinda mage with melee spells. A bit like avatar bending.
-Demon Hunters, heavy armored dark magic users who can blink....

Dunno how the world change after you choose a side tbh, but I don't think it'll be deep. Just some minor quests probably be different.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Actually you can just use muskets/pistols and faceroll the game without touching any magic in combat. Those things are friggin powerful again... Crossbow are powerfull too but a bit slow to reload.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I use a musket and yeah, it's a very powerful weapon, I don't have problem with killing anything (on normal difficulty) but Golems which are immune to bullets. The only drawback is that it's a money sink. I constantly need to buy ammunition and most of the money I gain I use for it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lockpicks can be acquired from some merchants, so I would look carefuly kony. I didn't found any on the ground or in the chest. What annoys is me is that I can't mark difficult chests on the map with the stats requirement. That would be helpful. Currently at Taranis, and it give me NotR vibes.

i0SdCUs.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I've found a few traders with lockpicks by now. There wasn't any on the island I was on though, until I completed a quest.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Explored Kila, did a lot of quests there. Some of the NPCs are amusing and I like the transform into a parrot ability, but I'm really not feeling the exploration/world design at all. It feels like the most you can get from exploring every nook and cranny is yet another chest with mostly useless stuff or a little bit of additional gold. Not really worth going through all the boring combat for. I think I'll just tag along the main quest(s) instead.
I see, so loot distribution is just as shitty as in the first Risen, only this time not even the combat can make up for it. Pity, think I'll pass on this one.

eremita

Savant
So let me get this straight. They gave you a slutty side-kick with giant tits and then tell you she's your sister?! :decline:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
BTW there is some sort of reputation in game called "soul". Only seen some party members react to it when I gain or lose soul.
Are there any more side effects of this you guys encountered? I wonder if gameplay experience changes.

Revenant

IIRC, the only possible sex scene in PB games is in a brothel in Gothic II, so PB can kinda wash their hands clean about this "sister" deal and claim that it's you who is the pervert for having incestous intentions. I think in Risen 2 PB explicitely stated that followers aren't romanceable, guess this holds for Risen 3 as well

Konjad

Patron
IIRC, the only possible sex scene in PB games is in a brothel in Gothic II, so PB can kinda wash their hands clean about this "sister" deal and claim that it's you who is the pervert for having incestous intentions. I think in Risen 2 PB explicitely stated that followers aren't romanceable, guess this holds for Risen 3 as well
You can have sex in Risen 3 though. There's a quest where a farmer asks you to find out who stole some candlestick (he is accused of being the thief) and return it to the owner, but there's also a girl who wants you to find the cadlestick, return it to the owner and additionally lie that the farmer stole it. He rewards with gold, she rewards with gold (three times as much) and sex.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
Whatever. It's weird. I would never design oversexualized (not just her looks, but also the interactions with her - it's just fucking weird) character as main protagonist's sibling. I think it shows more about their perversions, not players...

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

Modders will fix it.

Konjad

Patron
So let me get this straight. They gave you a slutty side-kick with giant tits and then tell you she's your sister?! :decline:
I'm pretty sure she was protagonist's girlfriend in Risen 2, but now she calls him little brother.

I guess that's a wink towards incest.

Konjad

Patron
Anyway I like how being a dick in this game is both more fun and often gives much better rewards. This is how the cRPGs should be done.

*saving a woman from a mad mage*
- Thank you, oh, my hero! Tell me what can I do for you!
-Give me all your gold
- *disappointed accent* I guess I owe you this

If you didn't ask for it you'd just get "thank you", but this way you also get a nice amount of gold. A lot of quests is like this.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Anyway I like how being a dick in this game is both more fun and often gives much better rewards. This is how the cRPGs should be done.

*saving a woman from a mad mage*
- Thank you, oh, my hero! Tell me what can I do for you!
-Give me all your gold
- *disappointed accent* I guess I owe you this

If you didn't ask for it you'd just get "thank you", but this way you also get a nice amount of gold. A lot of quests is like this.

That's probably the best part of the game for me, sadly...

bonescraper

Explored Kila, did a lot of quests there. Some of the NPCs are amusing and I like the transform into a parrot ability, but I'm really not feeling the exploration/world design at all. It feels like the most you can get from exploring every nook and cranny is yet another chest with mostly useless stuff or a little bit of additional gold. Not really worth going through all the boring combat for. I think I'll just tag along the main quest(s) instead.
I see, so loot distribution is just as shitty as in the first Risen, only this time not even the combat can make up for it. Pity, think I'll pass on this one.
Too bad she's telling bullshit. Firstly, you really, really need gold in this game. Lots of it, and i'm always broke. Gold is as much important as experience points. Secondly, there are stat increasing unique trinkets to be found. They're usually hidden in clever places. And there are also rare plants which can be used to brew permanent stat increasing potions. That being said, i haven't really found any weapons or amror. Pretty much everything of that sort is only obtainable from merchants.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Weapons are really rare outside the merchants and armor business is as usual, you get decent ones after picking a side. Skill are huge gold sinks and there isn't many "phat loot" early so we need to pick them carefully. Later ones are especially expensive.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Loot distribution in the first Risen was fine. If anything there was too damn much of it... unless that's what you meant.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't think rust lock even works at all.
you target a locked chest that doesn't require special key and cast it to have the chest unlocked. i use it all the time.
Actually you can just use muskets/pistols and faceroll the game without touching any magic in combat. Those things are friggin powerful again... Crossbow are powerfull too but a bit slow to reload.
as a guardian you can use the glove as a better musket by switching to manual aiming with the right button. no ammo, no lockon delay, and you hit what you aim at.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I use a musket and yeah, it's a very powerful weapon, I don't have problem with killing anything (on normal difficulty) but Golems which are immune to bullets. The only drawback is that it's a money sink. I constantly need to buy ammunition and most of the money I gain I use for it.

I would think the worrying about resoruces would add rather than subtract?

Konjad

Patron

I would think the worrying about resoruces would add rather than subtract?
What? Constant need of buying an ammunition makes the weapon a worse investment, not a better one.

Bahamut

Arcane
This game is better than Witcher 2
tumblr_n3uexwYxVI1s96utdo1_250.gif

In rolling department

They could just copy/paste Risen's 1 combat instead building further on a shitty foundation

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Naval battles get tiring really fast. Kill monster or enemy ship, repeat forever. This way the game punishes you, the player, if you want to travel among islands to complete side quests.

Also I found that sometimes monsters respawn after you rest, this is also bad. Can't explore a recently cleared region without rolling around like a madman to kill birds and gain fifty glory.

Voodoo is cool, pistols are also ok. Lots of quest and plenty of exploration to be had. But it is not Gothic style exploration. This game suffers from an identity crisis, it tries to be Mass Effect(companions, ship), Diablo 3 (demon hunters lolol) and as already mentioned Pirates of the Crabs. So many giant crabs in this game. Risen 4 should be taking place in the crab kingdom.

So to summarize it is not a Gothic game, it is not even Risen. Perhaps Risen 2 which I haven't played yet. Runs smoothly, game breaking bugs not encountered yet and controls feel tighter and more responsive than Witcher's. Wish the roll could be done using space instead of double tapping direction. Lastly I think rolling makes you move faster than sprinting, go figure.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, sea battles are fun, the monsters are silly. Luckily if you put it on Easy for that you can get rid of the monster in 2 volleys.

I haven't seen any respawning monsters.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
AngryJoe is at it again. Needs more hand holding, apparently. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom