Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Risen 3 is worse than Skyrim

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Using muskets / crossbows / etc is a one way ticket to boredom.

You are saying that as if the melee combat was any different.

Edgy. No matter whether you think melee combat in R3 is passable or utter shit, there is a basic difference in at least going mano y mano with something and shooting it to death from afar when there are no good gameplay mechanics for them fighting back. *yawn*
There really is just a very minor difference though. It's not like the monsters have a good mechanic for fighting back against a nigh-infinite supply of instant speed health potions either.

Victory in Ris3n is guaranteed, no matter what strategy you use. The main difference is how fast you win and how often you have to stock up on more potions.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
When your game requires mods just to be playable, then your game is crap.

What's your definition of "playable"? By mine, Risen 3 and Skyrim are both crap. Only one of them can be modded into a good game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Except that Risen 3 isn't crap, and that I much rather play that rather than search and install mods for 20 hours only to make a game barely playable.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Let's just wait for the official Codex review to settle the matter.

Tigranes

Arcane
Done while waiting for POE download. At least the final boss is quick to defeat unlike that abomination in R1. But mainly, this game makes me want to replay R1...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Why did so many Codexers buy this trash?
Deutschland priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

There was a huge marketing Schlandschlacht between Risen 3 and Sacred 3 here. You can sell almost anything in Germany if you actually bother to tailor it to local audiences.

It probably didn't hurt either that Risen 3 was released shortly after a historic stinker that a lot of H'nS fanatics had already planned to play for 500+ hours during the holidays.

Emily

Arcane
What is even the point of these long boring tutorials. I mean what i need some whore to tell me to press left mouse to attack!?
WTF
I can read the controls in the options thank you very much.
It is so boring i cannot force myself to finish lol

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

Right.

No matter whether you think melee combat in R3 is passable or utter shit, there is a basic difference in at least going mano y mano with something and shooting it to death from afar when there are no good gameplay mechanics for them fighting back. *yawn*

So, shooting stuff to death from afar somehow doesn't have any mechanics for the enemies to fight back, but smacking them around constantly with LMB into stunlocks they can't escape from gives them mechanics to fight back?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
whoa, this game has slashing maces and morning stars

dis is better than oblivion

See that bridge? You can fly above it like a parrot.
Oh, sorry, you can't.

Currently at the Skull Island, speedrunning and finally want to get over with it. Almost 30h on timer. I've omitted some minor quests and uniques. Currently having some sort of lighting sword which slashes through everything in a couple of moves. Also have a shotgun which helped me to beat the giant spider thing more quickly. It's definitely better than the sequel, but I feel burnt out. Unlike Gothics, the quests like to focus on collecting/killing stuff. And side characters are very bland, only the main protagonist with his laid down attitude makes it slightly good.

DramaticPopcorn

3rd Risen's most heinous crime of all is not even the atrocious combat and extremely unrewarding exploration. It is lack of 'living' wildlife that offends the most: it is completely static. Animals never wander, they never hunt, they never fight with other factions. You have warthogs peacefully co-existing with dragon snappers, aligators, goblins and humans, although, for the sake of illusion of such segregation, their spawns are located a little bit apart from each other. Humans never venture outside of their settlements on their own. Unless PC comes and triggers something, the world will remain completely still, and only in settlements will they go about their routine.
All in all, this particular game in the series feels the most biowarian, because literally nothing happens outside of PC's scope and the world doesn't come to life even arbitrary unless you're there. It only made me want to play Gothic 2 again. :C

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
^ Man you clowns complain about everything. Does every RPG have to feature some sort of "living world" for you to esacpe to from your pathetic lives?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Right.

No matter whether you think melee combat in R3 is passable or utter shit, there is a basic difference in at least going mano y mano with something and shooting it to death from afar when there are no good gameplay mechanics for them fighting back. *yawn*

So, shooting stuff to death from afar somehow doesn't have any mechanics for the enemies to fight back, but smacking them around constantly with LMB into stunlocks they can't escape from gives them mechanics to fight back?

Are you channeling Roguey or something? Fighting a Shadow Lord or Soul Eater melee still carries a modicum of risk (because you can't just LMB nonstop, like you can with some of the animals after a while), whereas, for instance, shooting them in the face and occasionally rolling back doesn't. It's like playing TW by rolling nonstop in every single fight, or using a fully charged wand of fireball & summoning in every single fight in BG.

Ranged is broken and has been broken in every PB game, and R3's mistake is to give players more ranged options without fixing that. Which I said about 20 pages ago. It's not like anyone's arguing it's not broken. But whining about how you are so fucking bored while using the most boring method? You're not a shitposter, you're better than that. If the combat is that intolerable to you let someone else review the game (no, not me, I'm well aware that I like R2/3 more than most people here) or something.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
3rd Risen's most heinous crime of all is not even the atrocious combat and extremely unrewarding exploration. It is lack of 'living' wildlife that offends the most: it is completely static. Animals never wander, they never hunt, they never fight with other factions. You have warthogs peacefully co-existing with dragon snappers, aligators, goblins and humans, although, for the sake of illusion of such segregation, their spawns are located a little bit apart from each other. Humans never venture outside of their settlements on their own. Unless PC comes and triggers something, the world will remain completely still, and only in settlements will they go about their routine.
Umm.. it was exactly the same in ALL Piranha games.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Umm.. it was exactly the same in ALL Piranha games.
Well, not exactly. There were a few NPCs who moved around the world map in Gothic along set paths, though of course the enemies never moved. I'm not really sure about the enemy distribution in R3 as I haven't played it yet, but in the Gothic games different types of enemies did tend to be segregated from each other somewhat. But yeah, active or 'dynamic' wildlife has never been a part of any PB game, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect it here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom