Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
that was the biggest disappointment, invisible walls in a PB game. They need to go back and play Gothic 2, perhaps there souls can be saved from the temptations of consoles.

What they need to do, actually, is fucking give up with the whole 'ARPG like Gothic' shtick, and do something else. Whatever it is, I don't want them to do another Gothic game, let that franchise die peacefully. It was more than enough rape already with Forsaken Gods and that Arcania bullshit.

Revenant

But they likely don't know how to make anything else than "ARPGs like Gothic". The fact that they can't even make "ARPGs like Gothic" anymore either is beside the point.

Looks like the final nail has been hammered to the coffin of the Piranha Bytes. It was a hell of a ride while it lasted :salute:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X4t2ZDH.jpg

:salute:

Revenant

They were actually doing fine till Risen 2 :(
Yes, and to be honest I liked Risen 2 up until the Sword Coast, where the drawbacks of gameplay began to outweigh the novelty value and the few good things Ri2en had. However, one must keep in mind the following things: PB's apparent inability to fix Ri2en's issues (unlike they fixed stuff that was broken in Gothic 3 in the original Risen) speaks of general incompetence of the studio, some of the veteran members of the original crew who likely contributed a lot to the spirit of the early studio's games left, and, most importantly, times have changed so that consoles now set the trend and an AAA developer of sorts must abide by the new standards of third person action games. Therefore, while any previous blunderings of the studio could have been considered accidents rectifiable in the future, it is extremely unlikely that Piranha Bytes will ever develop a game worthy of its legacy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If Risen 3 fails, Gothic 5 is an inevitability. The only question is whether PB will make it themselves or outsource it to Asia.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
RIsen 3 will not fail. It's been a top seller since it came out, and has received positive reviews.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The Antigua graveyard has a grave marked 'Nesir', which would be 'Risen' written backwards.

A message in a bottle?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Writing things backwards to denote their opposite is standard procedure in Black Masses, which are very popular in Germany. They're trying to tell you that Risen has returned from the dead.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Standard ingame dialogue:

PC: who the fuck are you?

NPC: want to buy a musket?

PC: I'll shove that musket up your arse you little shit... how much?

NPC: 50 gold

PC: You motherfucking gnome, ill rip your head off and shit on it... deal!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
More like

PC: Can you teach me something?
NPC: What do you wanna know?
PC: Show me how to eat raw meat.
NPC: Alright.

SKILL LEARNED: CARNIVORE

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Sentinel&Enterprise review is out:

Over the course of the four-chapter adventure, players will encounter a world that has almost as much content as "Skyrim." Players will discover dozens of side missions as they build an alliance among the disparate factions of the high seas. They'll need to do a lot of adventuring to earn gold to train for skills and gain glory points to level up their stats. It's a slow process, especially when the cost of gear and training are so high.

That wouldn't be so bad, but sadly, "Risen 3's" combat system is frustrating. Attacking is based on the length of button presses, while defense relies on blocking and dodging. The problem is that the foes' attacks often are too quick to make blocking effective, and it's hard delivering strong enough blows without being open to a counterattack. The only things making combat tolerable are the abilities players pick up as they choose to join one of three factions.

Those problems could have been mitigated if the visuals were up to snuff, but though it looks nice, it falls short of what fans have been expecting, especially compared with contemporaries such as "Elder Scrolls." Facial animations look robotic. Textures and models lack realistic complexity, failing to grab players.

But the most disappointing issue with "Risen 3" is that the game still has its share of annoying bugs. Some can make finishing quests a burden. Others can take players out of the moment by putting players inside a character's mouth (I'm not joking). It's one of a number of flaws that keep the franchise in the middle of the pack.

Final score: two out of four stars

Read more: http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/community/ci_26353033/risen-3-titan-lords-fails-push-into-top

Console reviews are also coming in slowly now, all in the 30-50% range. PC sales will save Risen 3.

Emily

Arcane
Damn this tutorial is boring as hell..
Men i miss Gothic 2.. Everything was so good back then, good introduction into the game, no hand holding. Here i have to listen to my incest whore with fat ass telling me what to do.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Make tutorials optional, problem solved. Guys at piranja couldn't think of it.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'll be done with the game tonight, saved at the Endgame Island last night. Verdict: still R2+. Better than R2 but PB definitely ain't PB anymore. It's miles better than Two Worlds / KoA / and all that shit, but it ain't Gothic.

I suppose if I play through again at any point I'll just find the save where the tutorial finishes, and try voodoo. That looks fun. Using muskets / crossbows / etc is a one way ticket to boredom.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
It is so sad, i loved Gothic series (even 3) , R.I.P. Piranha Bytes. I will remember this studio as designers of Gothic.
I wish that Kai Rosenkranz will make some music for other company.

This game is similar G R E A T F A I L (we could expect something sad like this will happen after Risen2 - Risen 1 was also crappy but at least playable for someone other than masochistic no-life cabbage bored with everything) as X-Rebirth for X-series by Egosoft.
Risen 3 can be worth of wasting some time if there will be no other crpg game in the world.
But these times? Wasteland2 , PoE , D:OS realeased, Witcher 3, DA:I (no matter how crappy it will be , will be better than R3), ME series , Numenora, Skyrim & other Elder Scrolls, Gothics, Fallouts,M&M, and many many more great crpg games around (including classics), common, only desperate will play that shit longer than 5 hours, if even.
It should be added for free to happy meals in McDonalds, then it will be reasonable.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is so sad, i loved Gothic series (even 3) , R.I.P. Piranha Bytes. I will remember this studio as designers of Gothic.
I wish that Kai Rosenkratz will make some music for other company.

His hompage says: He wants to start a Kickstarter music project called "Journey Home"

PS:
He's called Kai Rosenkranz

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might as well spend on Kai Rosenkranz's kickstarter on Thursday than on this game, I guess.
Damn.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Risen 3 is a solid game. Great non-linear exploration and interesting hand-made gameworld with many secrets. Combat is dull and repetive. Story, faction system, quests and dialog are made in typical PB style - you can only love or hate it.
Greater use of henchmen than before - unfortunately they make the combat even easier.
7.5 out of 10 from me. Good game for CRPG newbies, I think.

Tigranes

Arcane
Using muskets / crossbows / etc is a one way ticket to boredom.

You are saying that as if the melee combat was any different.

Edgy. No matter whether you think melee combat in R3 is passable or utter shit, there is a basic difference in at least going mano y mano with something and shooting it to death from afar when there are no good gameplay mechanics for them fighting back. *yawn*

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I wish that Kai Rosenkranz will make some music for other company.

This game is similar G R E A T F A I L (we could expect something sad like this will happen after Risen2 - Risen 1 was also crappy but at least playable for someone other than masochistic no-life cabbage bored with everything) as X-Rebirth for X-series by Egosoft.
Risen 3 can be worth of wasting some time if there will be no other crpg game in the world.
But these times? Wasteland2 , PoE , D:OS realeased, Witcher 3, DA:I (no matter how crappy it will be , will be better than R3), ME series , Numenora, Skyrim & other Elder Scrolls, Gothics, Fallouts,M&M, and many many more great crpg games around (including classics), common, only desperate will play that shit longer than 5 hours, if even.
It should be added for free to happy meals in McDonalds, then it will be reasonable.
Did this clown just compare Risen 3 to Rebirth? And tells me i should play Skyrim instead?

Your opnions arent even worth it in a happy meal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom