Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Jinn

Arcane
Wish I knew about that before I started, but honestly doesn't seem like a WHOLE lot there? Also I have zero issues with the graphics, the game looks pretty amazing to me. I'm playing on "hard" and the enemy AI is pretty aggressive. If you don't parry and roll the enemies will just keep pounding you until you're fucking dead.

I wonder if you can apply the mod to a game already in progress? Might be possible. If the challenge is fine for you, then it might not be a necessary addition. I just heard the game gets piss easy a little too fast. Mod adds some other stuff to keep the balancing from tipping over too fast, as far as I understand it, with the modified equipment stats, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if you can apply the mod to a game already in progress? Might be possible. If the challenge is fine for you, then it might not be a necessary addition. I just heard the game gets piss easy a little too fast. Mod adds some other stuff to keep the balancing from tipping over too fast, as far as I understand it, with the modified equipment stats, etc.

Well I'm only 9 hours in but combat is still decently challenging. I have to be engaged doing it anyway, which is mostly what I care about. It's not Skyrim where you can check your phone while mashing the mouse button. It might get too easy later though, and it's definitely easier than Gothic. I'll report back later on.

Loostreaks

Learned
While all of their games are undoubtedly shit, you can gain some top notch entertainment by watching Angry Mexican show getting his ass kicked by scave...err, flamingos.

Even more amusing seeing retards trying to defend it.

deama

Prophet
I'm playing this now... 6 hours according to Steam... and am I crazy or has the dialogue taken a massive dive here? In English, anyway. Risen 2 was a very flawed game but I still thought it had that PB wit and style to it. Not that they're amazing writers but they have that certain sarcastic cynicism I liked. This one seems much choppier and less interesting in that way. Reminds me of The Witcher 1, with it's seemingly roughly translated snark that doesn't quite work.

Other than that it seems like more Risen 2 so far, but maybe a tad better. I dislike musket combat but remember liking it in Risen 2, not sure if that's me or the game changing something. Switched to sword and pistol and it's fine, but not great. Islands are pretty and seem larger. We'll see how it goes.
The mage combat is pretty neat, it's like you're some martial artist of magic or something.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The mage combat is pretty neat, it's like you're some martial artist of magic or something.

They look like the Karate Kid practicing spells in their courtyard, so that makes sense. Pretty sure I'm doing Demon Hunters for the sword buffs and teleporting though. I'm not really into mage in non-turn-based RPGs, usually.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't try any of the Risen games. They are all bad, like the Gothic series. The only people who buy them are German Nationalists.

Okey, I'll bite.

What rpgs do you actually like, anvi? Are any of them action rpgs?

I'm asking because in every post I read from you, you basically defecate on another game. Some of which I actually consider good.

So I am curious, do you have a legitimate point or are you simply a regular shitposter and I should move along and disregard anything you post :D

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Don't try any of the Risen games. They are all bad, like the Gothic series. The only people who buy them are German Nationalists.

Okey, I'll bite.

What rpgs do you actually like, anvi? Are any of them action rpgs?

I'm asking because in every post I read from you, you basically defecate on another game. Some of which I actually consider good.

So I am curious, do you have a legitimate point or are you simply a regular shitposter and I should move along and disregard anything you post :D
Depends how you define action RPG. I love Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, Grimrock 2, MMX etc. I consider those action RPG. But these single character console tard RPG's? Can't think of one that isn't terrible. Maybe the first Two Worlds and bits of Morrowind, but generally they are all cringe.

Loostreaks

Learned
Yup. The dialogue went from funny, a bit silly, and unpredictable in 2 to bland & functional in 3.

Think they changed the controls on musket combat, and a few small changes made it feel far worse.

Ahh, yes...that subtle, clever humor of Risen 2.

It's amusing how PB fanboys can't take any criticism. "Shit, shit, GIT GUD, Muh safes space!!"
What, pray tell, is "good" about their gameplay? Shitty animations, swords that sound like they're made of paper, pathetic hit reactions, braindead AI that repeats same 3 animations in a row, awful/non existent attack telegraphing that turns it into who-gets-to-stunlock-who cheese fest? Or is it exploration that revolves around their "encounter design": clearing same 3-4 exactly the same enemy types ( 4 wolves, 4 scavengers, 4 orcs, etc) every 20 meters?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Playing further, it's the companions that make the game feel easier than previous PB games. If you leave them on the boat the game's pretty fucking hard, mostly because multiple enemies all being aggressive is a fucking killer. With a companion you deal with less enemies at once as they occupy the others. "Bones" is especially easy-mode-ish, as he heals you on top of everything else. I've settled into a middle-ground of using companions but not Bones. No companion at all is a little too annoying.

Codex Year of the Donut
Playing further, it's the companions that make the game feel easier than previous PB games. If you leave them on the boat the game's pretty fucking hard, mostly because multiple enemies all being aggressive is a fucking killer. With a companion you deal with less enemies at once as they occupy the others. "Bones" is especially easy-mode-ish, as he heals you on top of everything else. I've settled into a middle-ground of using companions but not Bones. No companion at all is a little too annoying.
how does it compare to risen 2?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
To sum it up hastily:
Risen 3 has better, more consistent and polished gameplay with better variety over Risen 2. It also has better and more open ended level design and way better atmosphere.
On the other hand, it has worse writing, quests and characters. But in some parts of Risen 3, the writing and humour of Risen 2 does shine through too.

Modron

Arcane
the damage melee does is pretty shit compared to ranged, does this hold for the entire game?
Don't recall using ranged much if anything at all, was too easy to parry just about every attack only a few big heavy creatures blows had to be dodged. Way too easy to max all stats in Risen 3 though for sure with alchemy so plenty of points could be saved to invest in both skills for sure. With a hardcap of 100 on stats and around 50-60 points worth of alchemy permanent stat bonuses for each stat you can pretty much catch them all skill and stat wise.

Codex Year of the Donut
the damage melee does is pretty shit compared to ranged, does this hold for the entire game?
Don't recall using ranged much if anything at all, was too easy to parry just about every attack only a few big heavy creatures blows had to be dodged. Way too easy to max all stats in Risen 3 though for sure with alchemy so plenty of points could be saved to invest in both skills for sure. With a hardcap of 100 on stats and around 50-60 points worth of alchemy permanent stat bonuses for each stat you can pretty much catch them all skill and stat wise.
probably should have added that I'm using the rebalance mod which improves enemy AI

enjoying risen 3 a lot more than 2 so far

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like with 1 and 2 the main barrier to improvement is money for training. I like that because you get money from exploration and questing, so the game feels like it has a point. Plus the alchemy thing isn't as simple to abuse as people imply unless you actively look up a guide on how to do it. I'm 15ish hours in and have only found one stat-enhancement potion formula so far. I'm sure there's a FAQ out there for how to do it all ASAP, but that's easy mode bullshit.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Like with 1 and 2 the main barrier to improvement is money for training. I like that because you get money from exploration and questing, so the game feels like it has a point. Plus the alchemy thing isn't as simple to abuse as people imply unless you actively look up a guide on how to do it. I'm 15ish hours in and have only found one stat-enhancement potion formula so far. I'm sure there's a FAQ out there for how to do it all ASAP, but that's easy mode bullshit.

Most of the recipes are bought from NPCs and few that aren't are in locations you're very likely to visit while exploring the islands. The reason you haven't found most of them yet is because the game is pretty damn big, not because they're in obscure locations. Chances are, you're gonna end up almost maxing out all stats eventually without especially trying which is atypical for a PB game (and more of a Bethesda thing).

Economy is done very well in the game I agree, definitely an underappreciated aspect of Risen 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most of the recipes are bought from NPCs and few that aren't are in locations you're very likely to visit while exploring the islands. The reason you haven't found most of them yet is because the game is pretty damn big, not because they're in obscure locations. Chances are, you're gonna end up almost maxing out all stats eventually without especially trying which is atypical for a PB game (and more of a Bethesda thing).

Sure, but like I say with Bethesda games if you have to focus for the bulk of the game then that's fine. You can eventually become a god of everything in Skyrim, but it'll take you 50 hours of specializing to get there. I feel the same here, my 15 hours so far have been specializing in persuasion and swords, and eventually getting 100 in everything won't change that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You just gotta upgrade and gear up on melee, with buffs and training later you can deal so much DPS with melee.
I only really used ranged to cheese the first portal fight I came across by spamming dodge. Here's another trick by the way: since there's no stamina you can just dodge into a wall forever and ever and be completely protected by iframes, so if you are low on health and don't want to waste good healing items, just munch down on some food and roll into a wall until you are healthy again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's why I didn't like muskets, it was just roll, shoot, roll, shoot. You can't parry so it just felt like an endless game of keep-away. I don't remember Risen 2 feeling like that, but I don't remember the game well enough to say what was different. Sword and pistol is more varied with parrying, counter-attacks and pistol shots. You definitely still spend a lot of time dodging the quicker enemies like ghouls and scavengers, but combat as a whole is more interesting (IMO).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom