Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think I might have found those videos funny when I was 8. Probably not though.

And are you guys really going to make me pick apart all the things they do that is undeniably terrible?

They have terrible character building, and terrible combat.
Both statements are false. Well, It can be said that "terrible" is subjective, but then what is TES if Gothic is superior?

Nu nu nu, they are OBJECTIVELY bad. And TES is trash, Gothic is a gimpy low budget and under developed retarded nephew of TES. The worst thing about them is that you can't play as multiple classes. It is a melee warrior type, or nothing, because there is nothing else. I learned this when I tried to play as a mage and it was a total joke. But even if you play as a warrior it is bad.

Falksi

Arcane
I think I might have found those videos funny when I was 8. Probably not though.

Humour tastes aside, at least there's actual humour & good writing in there, regardless of whether you in particular like it or not.

Oblivion & Skyim are utterly barren when it comes to such aspects. Maybe the odd line or two, but in comparison the Risen games contain far more.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If your bar is that low you could find 'funny' writing in a million games. Skyrim has the arrow in the knee thing, isn't that your sort of thing? You should play Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle or something, it would give you an aneurysm.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Risen dialogue is just more..down to earth and entertaining. Even when it's not humorous. Skyrim tries too hard to be epic.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The worst thing about them is that you can't play as multiple classes. It is a melee warrior type, or nothing, because there is nothing else. I learned this when I tried to play as a mage and it was a total joke. But even if you play as a warrior it is bad.
:retarded:
Are you seriously complaining that when you choose class, you have to stick with it? That there's consequence?
You have Full warrior Mercenary, Holy Knight Paladin and Fire Mage. And yes, playing them is diffrent, it isn't only when you want only to use malee.
When class is not as good as other it doesn't mean it is unplayable, mage is absolutely proper way to play, he's just a bit weak in the beggining and middle.
There are even people who play the game as archers.

Also, I am not sure what do you mean by saying that Gothic is "under developed and low budget". Gothic has much of content.
Why do you call it retarded nephew of TES, Gothic 1/2 is better than any TES game.

Falksi

Arcane
If your bar is that low you could find 'funny' writing in a million games. Skyrim has the arrow in the knee thing, isn't that your sort of thing? You should play Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle or something, it would give you an aneurysm.

As Added says, it's just more entertaining & earthy - thus more interesting - than the likes of Skyrim.
I thrive on those two point & click games too mind. And Divinity 2:TDKS. What type of humour do you like? If the above vids are of a low standard to you, do you have any examples of said high standards?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The worst thing about them is that you can't play as multiple classes. It is a melee warrior type, or nothing, because there is nothing else. I learned this when I tried to play as a mage and it was a total joke. But even if you play as a warrior it is bad.

Are you seriously complaining that when you choose class, you have to stick with it?
Uh no.. not even close. Are you seriously saying you can pick a mage in this game and play as a mage? Because you can't. It is unplayable. And you can't be a ranger, paladin, rogue, or anything else either. It is play as a warrior or don't play at all. And the warrior can have a few fireballs that he can use or not, it doesn't matter.

As Added says, it's just more entertaining & earthy - thus more interesting - than the likes of Skyrim.
I thrive on those two point & click games too mind. And Divinity 2:TDKS. What type of humour do you like? If the above vids are of a low standard to you, do you have any examples of said high standards?
I usually prefer comedy that is written by a comedian.

Falksi

Arcane

Are you seriously complaining that when you choose class, you have to stick with it?
Uh no.. not even close. Are you seriously saying you can pick a mage in this game and play as a mage? Because you can't. It is unplayable. And you can't be a ranger, paladin, rogue, or anything else either. It is play as a warrior or don't play at all. And the warrior can have a few fireballs that he can use or not, it doesn't matter.

I usually prefer comedy that is written by a comedian.

So can you give me an example of said high standard found in games? It's hard to see what you're after, because all you've done essentially is focus on gameplay alone. If that's the case you may as well play COD.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It's manipulation, Mage indeed is hard, especially with NotR addon. He's just weak in first chapters, not enough money for mana potions, no points in alchemy for potions yet, not powerful enough spells.
Actaully as I remember msot guides for pure mages relies on summoning spells, you can get over entire game using only them. Goblin skeletons, normal skeletons, finally even Demon summoning, that can solo kill every dragon.
It's just class not for first playtrough, you can, but it requires some knowledge about game. Some quests may be difficult too, as spells/range weapons/summons always kill enemy, while we only need knock him. Fortunately there are special mana staffs for mages, it's not that much of a problem.
Pay off is in last chapters, when you are unkillable mass murder. Nothing in the game is more powerful than late game Mage.

If someone would really like to make first plautrough as mage, then he should just train some warrior skills first to avoid problems with trash mobs, then use spells for harder enemies. In the end result is the same, as if you do everything in the game and get that 100 mana, then you are good.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Uh no.. not even close. Are you seriously saying you can pick a mage in this game and play as a mage? Because you can't. It is unplayable.
You know, I haven't played the game, but ... I don't believe you.
Why would you not believe me? And you should go play it now, you deserve to suffer.

Can we get this anvi newfag a dumbfuck tag? Can't play as a mage in Gothic 1/2?
And 3. And Risen.

Here is how mage works in NOTR. You have no magic for 99% of the game, and you can't spend any of your skill points because you need to save them to spend on mage stuff which you can't even train until late in the game. So unlike all you HURR HITING STUFZ WIT SWORDZ IS ORSUM people who spend all your points on strength and defensive shit, as a mage you play almost the entire game with no attribute or skill points at all, doing all the dumb shit you do (side stepping and stabbing worgs in their ass), but with no gear and no strength and no agi etc. Then at the end of the game you get a buttload of spells that blow up everything on the screen with 1 button, and you get sent off on the final mission and spam the op spells constantly. And then you get end credits. It is by far the worst mage gameplay I've ever seen in a game, and I've played all the Elder Scrolls crap.

Here is how it works in Gothic 3. I read reviews that said it was terrible, so I shelved it for about 2 years. Then to save myself the same shitty experience as NOTR, I got a mage guide online which says playing as a mage is basically impossible at first because you can only cast about 2 spells and you are then out of mana and it regens about 1 mana an hour. So the guide leads you around the ENTIRE game world which took me a good week or more of playing, tediously going to all corners of the world to get skill books that boost your mana pool and regen rate. And again, you have to do all this with no skill points spent and no quests or exp grinded because you need to save it all for magic. Then you get a super creative an elaborately designed spell - Fireball... Then you run all over the world backwards, shooting fireball into armies of enemies that chase you and they all get blown up. That is playing as a mage in Gothic 3.

And it works like this because people like YOU and the other dimwits in this thread defend the indefensible, and allow publishers to release half baked shit, because the world is full of plebby enablers.

So can you give me an example of said high standard found in games?
all you've done essentially is focus on gameplay alone. If that's the case you may as well play COD.

COD has the worst gameplay in the world. You are a lost cause.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Gothic 3 is kinda shit and nearly no one defends anything about it... But what you are saying is incredibly hyperbolized. In G3 combat was incredibly broken, as you could just spam attack to kill anything since level 1 (As I think of it now, the same is Risen 3, which is also 3 in the series. Coincidence?).
You are really hating the idea of mage being weak early and then better later. Many games work like that. Mage that can spam spells and go face to face with enemies since the beggining isn't good mage.
Today I read about G3 mage and people say it's literally op, much better than warrior.
Have you ever played full playtrough of mage in G2 NotR? It seems you did with G3, but if you played by following a guide so closely, then no strange you had no fun.
Many of the guides focus on min-maxing and optimalizing everything, really not recommended for first playtrough.
By the way, Gothic 3 is big enough and have enough of exp to possibly be meta mage and meta warrior in the same time.

I can agree that Gothic 3 was half baked shit. I hate it myself. But don't say it about G1/2 beceause it's straight lie.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No the hyperbole is downplaying what I said by saying "weak early and better later". That's not what I described at all. In EverQuest you are very weak at the start and very strong later on, and that is my favorite game of all time. The problem with these games is that they have zero development in the magic aspects, it is a total afterthought. The game was designed to be played with a generic melee character and that was it. It pretends you can make choices and build it in various ways, but you can't. I completed G2 as a mage it was terrible like I described. I tried it again with NOTR and it was even worse if anything. And the problem with Gothic 3 was not that I followed a guide, it was that the game is shit. And no, being a "meta mage and meta warrior at the same time" would do nothing to help.

You people need to go play Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, a bunch of MMOs, look at all the various types of combat and class building in all the many games out there. Then compare that to the Gothic and Risen games and tell me with a straight face it has great gameplay.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I wouldn't say that it was designed to be played as malee, more as if the engine favoured it.
Not sure what do you mean by saying that it has zero development for magic, mage has more ways to fight than warrior. Again, I have to repeat what I said before: One build path being inferior to other doesn't mean it's bad/unplayable.
Neverwinter Nights is shit, Dragon age mages are too op, MMOs are not things to compare with Gothic really.
Various of builds was never gothic strength, but was it strength of other games in Gothic age? 16 old game ffs.

Gothic doesn't pretend you can build it in diffrent ways, it gives you all possibilities it can: 1H, 2H, additional skills as range combat, magic as primary or secondary weapon.

It's only you who tricked yourself if you thought diffrent.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LMAO at this bloke comparing classic D&D-style RPGs with action RPGs like Gothic or TES :lol:

"Melee warrior is the only way to play Gothic"

giphy.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No the hyperbole is downplaying what I said by saying "weak early and better later". That's not what I described at all. In EverQuest you are very weak at the start and very strong later on, and that is my favorite game of all time. The problem with these games is that they have zero development in the magic aspects, it is a total afterthought. The game was designed to be played with a generic melee character and that was it. It pretends you can make choices and build it in various ways, but you can't. I completed G2 as a mage it was terrible like I described. I tried it again with NOTR and it was even worse if anything. And the problem with Gothic 3 was not that I followed a guide, it was that the game is shit. And no, being a "meta mage and meta warrior at the same time" would do nothing to help.

You people need to go play Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, a bunch of MMOs, look at all the various types of combat and class building in all the many games out there. Then compare that to the Gothic and Risen games and tell me with a straight face it has great gameplay.
Just go back to neogaf.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game was designed to be played with a generic melee character and that was it. It pretends you can make choices and build it in various ways, but you can't. I completed G2 as a mage it was terrible like I described. I tried it again with NOTR and it was even worse if anything. And the problem with Gothic 3 was not that I followed a guide, it was that the game is shit. And no, being a "meta mage and meta warrior at the same time" would do nothing to help.
Guys I found the untermensch!

FUDU

Arcane
Anvi is one of those people that say they are a gamer, but have only liked 3 or 4 games ever made, and everything else is shit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why are you talking about Skyrim and COD??

Anvi is one of those people that say they are a gamer, but have only liked 3 or 4 games ever made, and everything else is shit.
Yea except it is more like 100 that I liked, and another thousand that were ok, and then everything else is shit.

hogcranker

Novice
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Ah, Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age, those unfuckwithable classics of RPG design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom