Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen next-gen rerelease

Sjukob

Arcane
Is this game as good as the Gothic games? I heard its kinda bad
It has the best combat out of all PB games, but everything else is subpar to Gothic. It still is a decent game overal, unlike everything that PB made afterwards.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Fargus

J7eMLAY.png

FFTW

Educated
I don't get why this isn't even a remaster tbh. That would have at least given them a bit of marketing interest instead of "come play with 2007 visuals" >_>.

Regardless, will probably get this at some point.

For the 360 version, it seems to me like the main issue is the extreme level of darkness in it. No idea why they went that route.

Zlaja

Arcane
For the 360 version, it seems to me like the main issue is the extreme level of darkness in it. No idea why they went that route.

To cover up the bare bones textures and lack of vegetation.

https://www.pcgamer.com/after-14-years-risen-is-backi-decided-to-find-out-why/

The PC update will feature some gameplay fixes, gamepad controls/UI and achievements... as well as perfect compatibility with modern hardware (including Steam Deck) by using a DirectX 11 and 64bit technical architecture.

Great, so I won't be able to force SGSSAA on it anymore, which made such a massive difference on all the foliage it's not even funny. Thanks a lot PB.

Is this game as good as the Gothic games? I heard its kinda bad
Risen 1 is definitely return to form after the fuck up that was Gothic 3. It's not as good as G1 and G2, but as good if not better than first Elex.
It's close to being as good as G1 and G2 and sure as shit better than anything else they've made, including Elex. It's pretty much Gothic with better controls and best melee combat PB has ever did.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Console peasants butthurt again?

That might've been the moment that retard stopped existing to me. Risen was actually the best RPG on the 360, despite whatever the graphics-whores are cluckin and heehawin about, and it had controller support which is a deciding factor when I'm choosing a platform. People who complain about Risen's jankiness played it with a mouse and keyboard.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
... and it's out! https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/40300/view/3660897688194674802

Risen Patch & Ports live!

To celebrate the launch of Risen on modern consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Switch) we also gave this SKU here an update.

The game now fully support DirectInput compatible gamepads (either use the launch option to force it or set Controller Mode in the games option menu). We also
updated the languages it supports (Polish and Russian are fully integrated) and added Steam Achievements and Rich Presence via Steam and Discord.

Along the way we did a few gameplay & technical (related to audio and physics) bugfixes, made it use 64bit and also added options like changing the FOV.

Savegames are also compatible with the old SKU and we also added Steam Cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:

The PC update will feature some gameplay fixes, gamepad controls/UI and achievements... as well as perfect compatibility with modern hardware (including Steam Deck) by using a DirectX 11 and 64bit technical architecture.

Great, so I won't be able to force SGSSAA on it anymore, which made such a massive difference on all the foliage it's not even funny. Thanks a lot PB.
Ok, I was wrong. SGSSAA still works fine, with compatibility flag in Nvidia Inspector put under "Antialiasing compatibility", not even "Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x)" (where it never works anyway from my experience). So it must be not real DX11 it's running.

I wonder though if it's safe to use the unofficial patch now without it breaking anything.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Ok, I was wrong. SGSSAA still works fine, with compatibility flag in Nvidia Inspector put under "Antialiasing compatibility", not even "Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x)" (where it never works anyway from my experience). So it must be not real DX11 it's running.

I wonder though if it's safe to use the unofficial patch now without it breaking anything.

this guy claims that it's still a DX9 game. Also warns that unofficial patches and mods aren't compatible with the new version because the devs implemented some of the quest fixed themselves and that changed the script files.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
did they update gog version too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom