Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by felipepepe, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sailor Woedica Cipher The Real Fangirl

Sailor Woedica
    Fuck does Cuno care?

• Brofist x 8
    • Participation Award x 2
    • nice x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • what? x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Viata Arcane

Viata
    He had the worst VO. I had to turn it off every time I talked to him.

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Latro Arcane

Latro
    So now the RPG Codex bends the knees to normie shit?

• Yes x 4
    • Despair x 4
    • decline x 2
    • No x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    You have no idea of what you are talking about. Diablo is much more stat-based than Dungeon Master, you are just butthurt about some games and trying to make up an excuse to why games you like are TRUE RPGS, while others aren't.

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We all know that as a deep and big fan of JRPGs, this strikes to your heart. And as a Dark Souls fan, this affects your spirit even harder, but take heart, kind sir, all is well in the Land of the Rising Sun.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yeah I don't get it either. Haven't Codexers realized it's current year?

"What is an RPG?" is a question we have finally transcended. The question we should be asking instead is: does DE identify as an RPG? Because, as we all know, genre is a social construct.

The only remaining issue is this: would that make DE an actual RPG, or trans-genre?

:philosoraptor:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ITT Gatekeeping 101

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think next year we should title the thread "RPGCodex's 2020 Vote and What is An RPG Flame War". Because I swear we only get 2-3 pages into one of these polls before it devolves into a shitposting contest. Every.... fucking... year...

Anyway, I went balls deep into some older RPGs this year and so this is the first time in awhile that I didn't pay one new game. I regret nothing, however. Pathfinder: Kingmaker was my 2018 GOTY, so the only thing that really intrigued me in 2019 was its expansion.

I did support the Queen's Wish kickstarter since I've been a Vogel fan after the Exile trilogy, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I somehow missed Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It looks interesting and I may give it a go. All in all, though, there just hasn't been any 2019 RPGs that I've been excited about. And so this is the first poll that I can remember in which I did not vote.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I wanted to like this game, but everything I read about it makes me stay away from it. :negative:

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Gatekeeping exists for a reason.
    If it wasn't for "gatekeeping" then the best RPG would be skyrim every year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Nothing wrong with Skyrim being goty if nothing better comes out. Not every game is made for you, lad.

• How DARE you!?? x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    If nothing better than Skyrim came out in the year, the agreement is that there is no game of the year. Nothing quality enough to deserve the title.

Call it what you're really treating it as, "Least shit game of the year".

• Brofist x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    "Mom, there's this guy on the internet that likes what I hate mom!".

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • cuck cuck x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Viata Arcane

Viata
    While I don't give a shit if there is a game better or not than Skyrim, it would be quite sad if Skyrim was Codex's GOTY.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Feel free to change Skyrim for Witcher 3, for example, but at the end of the day, I don't really care about what's the codex goty. I just like to come here from time to time to discover some obscure cRPGs and read some retarded comments.

Cheers!

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Well, you've already contributed to the latter category.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Then I've already done more in this thread than you.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    No one was trying to compete with you in the special olympics, so I guess if it makes you happy you can consider yourself having done more than anyone else here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Ok manlet

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Why the fuck are you guys still quoting me? :shredder:

• Funny x 8
    • Participation Award x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Prime Junta Arcane Patron Vatnik

Prime Junta
    It always has. And autists have always raged about it. Thus it is, has been, and always will be.

• Shit x 6
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. North Gibraltarian Dog Learned

North Gibraltarian Dog
    Anarcho-gypsy confederation of latino-moors
    :roll: No, it's not. Not remotely.

I know very well what I'm talking about, as I played those games and I know their systems. I'm no butthurted at all with Diablos or Dark Souls and I didn't say in this discussion that those games "aren't true rpgs" (but pure action combat simulators and the simplest diablo clones aren't though). It's Disco Elysium the one about I have doubts . In fact I even explicitly said that Some arpgs share more features with Wizardry V, Pools of Darkness or Star Trail (or Fallout) than Disco Elysium.

What I made in a post-scriptum and off topic note, was only mark the difference that for me exist between games with real time combat but mostly character stats-based and on other hand other real time action rpgs in wich character stats are less relevant in regard combat or other contexts proficiency (and usally less complex) than player reflexes and coordination, item-stats, magic abilities/pseudo-perks or combos. Even in the case that we trust the opinion (usually unsubstantiated) of those that think rpg core is combat timing (instead of character skills/progression), so all RT rpgs would be less pure than TB, the fundamental difference between diablo-likes & combat simulators vs skill-heavy RT games still remain, which makes absurd to categorize all together.

Dungeon Master is a worse example than Daggerfall or Morrowind, however I think the difference in stats-relevance and complexity is still clear with Dungeon Master, so let's compare:

-Diablo has:
    • 4 attributes
    • 3 classes (linked with starting attributes, gain per level, passive conditions and 1 not very useful specific spell/special ability)
    • 5 conditions (health & mana + 3 resistances)
    • Chance to hit, armor proficiency, damage levels and 5 conditions influenced by attributes and level progression.
    • 3 spells influenced by class. The rest shared (but limited by mana).

However the relevance of attributes leveling is secondary. Firstly because the gear bonuses are as powerful as several attributes levels, but also because player imput clicking quickly to drink potions and attack different enemies (or briefly retire to perform some action) is the absolute protagonist over character progression and even special abilities use. When you played Diablo (or even more with most clones), Were you worried about chance to hit, damage and attributes levels and management or more about items adquisition, potion/attack/spells click timing?

-Dungeon Master has:

• 6 attributes (2 resistances)
    • 4 skills
    • 24 characters/starting builds (less restrictive classes influencing starting attributes, skills and passive conditions)
    • 6 passive & survival conditions
    • Body parts injuries and different stats influence each part.
    • Chance to hit, damage levels, armor rate and 4 conditions, influenced by atributes and skill levels.
    • Health influenced by and hunger/thirst (and I think some attributes also).
    • Attributes influenced by skill levels.
    • Spells influenced by some skill levels, wisdom attribute and mana.
    • Party members positioning relevance (and the link with stats and conditions)
    Dungeon Master skill system is not only much more convoluted than Diablo's but the influence of character stats are higher in combat and even non combat survival. You need to check and manage your stats far more than in the Diablo example, the skill leveling affect far more characters effectiveness, etc.

Conclussion: Dungeon Master is much more character stats based than Diablo.

• Brofist x 10
    • Informative x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Hilarious coming from you of all people, someone who derails entire threads with his retarded shit. :lol:

It's CURRENT YEAR, bro! Enjoy DE and learn all 300 gender pronouns! Times have moved on!
    Stupidity beyond measure.

So, nothing, Prime Junta?
    Why do you hardly ever answer to anything confrontational or something that calls out your retarded bullshit and mostly answer to your faggot buddies? My "theory" is that it's because you're a cocksucking faggot. What would YOU say?

Oh wait:
    Sure, passive-aggressiveness.
    If you have a problem with the genre police, why don't you have a problem with genre bandits too? What do you get out of desperately defending a game's place in a genre?

Let's not forget this piece of amazing insight. The old "RPGs are what the the majority says they are" Sawyerism. :lol:
    In other words, dumbfuck retards like Prime Junta and fantadomat are desperately defending DE as an RPG even though in the future it might stop being an RPG simply because the majority of the people start calling something else an RPG. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Brofist x 7
    • retadred x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Prime Junta Arcane Patron Vatnik

Prime Junta
    I'm not. Getting hung up on genres is silly. Genres are only useful for librarians who need to know which shelf to stick the book in. I'm not a librarian so I don't care.

I do think genre characteristics are useful however, and it can be enlightening to describe games in terms of them. So I really don't give a flying fuck if you, felipe, or the Library of Congress categorises a game as a RPG or not: however, I still think it can be interesting to discuss any RPG characteristics it may have.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.