Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2021 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The problem is the symbolic meaning, as the codex prides itself as being a super secret enclave of prestigious taste, and sharing our polls on twitter is metaphorically opening the gates to the barbarians.

13 likes, at least half of them from Codexers. Clearly Mass Effect will win with 5 billion votes.

Get real, the Codex hated by most of the internet, long gone are the days of having CrookedBee doing important retro interviews with developers, roundtables on RPG design or smart editorials that would go viral. No one cares anymore.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
it will be easy for felipe to filter out non codexers anyway.
only codexers played loopeater

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nuh nuh!

Why are there games on the list (probably majority of them) that do not even have a thread on KKKodex? Not to mention a review or any other content.

Beloved underdogs that NOBODY HAS FOUND WORTH EVEN MENTIONING DURING THE WHOLE YEAR. "Dwarf Journey" Codex GOTY contender, r00fles!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dyskoteka Elizjum

Well, that sounds miles better than the English title, that's for sure.

Otherwise, maybe I'm missing something, but why do we even need any kind of list for voting? Surely everybody can remember the names of the games they played. So you just list the games you want to vote on, and the scores, and that's it.

Now, it's a bit harder to tally the results that way, but it completely removes the constant arguments about the list. With a bit of Excell skills and some manual work it shouldn't be too hard. And there's no way in hell 90% of the games on this 150 game list are going to win anything, so it's a bit pointless in the first place to force people to wade through so much crap...

Also, letting non-registered users to vote should never happen, what's even the point of that? You can "popularise" the codex by just posting the results, if that's what you want.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Dyskoteka Elizjum

Well, that sounds miles better than the English title, that's for sure.

Otherwise, maybe I'm missing something, but why do we even need any kind of list for voting? Surely everybody can remember the names of the games they played. So you just list the games you want to vote on, and the scores, and that's it.

I like that approach, but some people would still find a reason to complain

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just have nominations. Top 25 or whatever games get to be on the poll. And then poll itself for only registered users.

If when/DU is feeling lazy, the nominations can be free for all, done with whatever is the easiest way to do.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Just have nominations. Top 25 or whatever games get to be on the poll.

that's a terrible idea

Why? Just disqualify obvious shitposting, like releases outside of the time frame or games that clearly are not RPGs like Loop Hero.

If you are worried about manipulation, do it inside a thread. Doubt anyone is willing to register 20 alts to skew the nominations.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

that's a terrible idea

Why? Just disqualify obvious shitposting, like releases outside of the time frame or games that clearly are not RPGs like Loop Hero.

If you are worried about manipulation, do it inside a thread. Doubt anyone is willing to register 20 alts to skew the nominations.
What's the point? Unless there's something I don't see.

What will it achieve? Will it matter if #1 is this or that?

All I want to see is average points of various 'dexers for all the different games so I know what potentially good games I've missed, I don't really care that much what title is number one.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

that's a terrible idea

nominations would be skewed to the codex hivemind, the loudest shitposters in general, the results will be an absolutely laughing stock

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
nominations would be skewed to the codex hivemind, the loudest shitposters in general, the results will be an absolutely laughing stock

That is how votes work! Nobody is supposed to vote for games they have not played at all. It is nomination, not vote. I don't understand what you are worried about.

"List 5 RPGs release during 2021 that you have played". That's it.

If the Codex hivemind wants to put the same shit games on the nomination, assumedly they would also vote for the same games. And if there is one guy who played a brilliant game that nobody else has even heard of... it ain't gonna win the popular vote. Tweak the min cutoff if you want to harvest the data for "cult classics" or whatever.

I don't care if they put 50 games on the vote, I'd prefer if they at least had a real Codexer who can vouch for the game. But a game that nobody played and nobody cares about being on the GOTY participants list is plain retarded.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mutagen was the best new (western) RPeepeeG I played last year. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right games, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Fallout / IE / D&D RPGs. It just feels low effort now and makes me think that the RPG devs of today are just trying to recreate their childhood rather than coming up with fun, new and interesting games. I say that knowing that Mutagen is sort of a rehash, but at least it's in a setting and style of game that doesn't get made often (or at all?) in western RPGs. Even as a remake Geneforge still manages to feel like a unique and exciting oasis, and we have so many more options available today than we did back when the original Geneforge came out.

Lucumo

Educated
Welcome to our anual GOTY awards! This time we only have two categories: RPG of the Year and Best PC Port/Remaster. As usual, Early Access games and console-only games do not count.
EDIT: Also a bit upset Rance Quest isn't on the list. It's not an amazing rpg or anything, nor is it a super impressive remaster, but if we're putting stuff like loop hero or mass effect remake and mods like archolos on the list...
Yeah, seems somewhat messy. Like, why have a PC port/bla/bla part when the GOTY part also includes PC ports...not to mention at least one game from 2020.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mutagen was the best new (western) RPeepeeG I played last year. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right games, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Fallout / IE / D&D RPGs. It just feels low effort now and makes me think that the RPG devs of today are just trying to recreate their childhood rather than coming up with fun, new and interesting games. I say that knowing that Mutagen is sort of a rehash, but at least it's in a setting and style of game that doesn't get made often (or at all?) in western RPGs. Even as a remake Geneforge still manages to feel like a unique and exciting oasis, and we have so many more options available today than we did back when the original Geneforge came out.

Jeff doesn't often leave his comfort zone, but the results are usually impressive when he does. Nethergate is similarly interesting for choosing a different setting and theme.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That is how votes work! Nobody is supposed to vote for games they have not played at all. It is nomination, not vote. I don't understand what you are worried about.

You don't understand people. Voting takes less energy so more people will do it. Nominating takes effort to write down stuff, so the loudest people will do it. Hence the selection will be skewed.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gr8. That way we won't have another D:OS 2 getting elected by lazy tards who only played the first chapter.
If you did a poll where people had to write each game, I can guarantee that DOS2 would win by an even bigger margin. It's 4 fucking letters, and was the most popular game of that year. Having a list with options stops people from only voting on the "top of mind" games.

Mortmal

Arcane
Remind me someone why does the Codex continue letting felipepoopoo to cast RETARDED polls with a RETARDED rating system and with RETARDED games that no-one gives a fuck?
Also, developers voting for their own games on twitter? Seriously? Go fuck yourself miss felipepoopoo.

The answer is in your question, its a bit subtle to find out yes. It's all for the lulz . Anyway the result will end up pretty much the same as my poll or fanta's except the gothic 2 mod probably wont make it to the top three anymore . It generates butthurt and site traffic, so win/win .

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
You don't understand people. Voting takes less energy so more people will do it. Nominating takes effort to write down stuff, so the loudest people will do it. Hence the selection will be skewed.

So we should have option on the list that people didn't feel strongly enough to spare the energy of typing it...?

Lets say that the criteria is one (1) nomination. Nobody bothers to go through the trouble of writing the name of the game. What did we lose?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That list reads like felipe signed a sponsorship deal with nu-GOG: anime edition.

Anyways, I was excited for and played exactly one 2021 crpg: WotR. Turned out worse than Kingmaker and is not in a playable state yet so I dropped it p quickly and can't be even arsed to vote.

Thank you for your attention.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's absolutely ridiculous to let people from twitter vote in what's supposed to be a Codex poll.

We know what the average RPG fan likes (bad stuff), a Codex poll should reflect the tastes of Codex users; only people with an account should be able to vote.

Outmind

Augur
Why is there no "haven't played it" option? How am I supposed to accurately gauge 90% of these games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom