Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
And that is why it's sad to know that somewhere out there perhaps my favorite cRPG of the 20s has been released (or will), but the dev forgot that marketing is very important to make people know about their game.
Even with marketing it's easy to get overlooked.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That's why we've got those GOTY ranks. Sure, BG3 and JA2 will win big, but if you look down the table, you can find some gems.

I hope Space Wreck and Heads Will Roll will land relatively high so they get much needed visibility. I only played 2 hours of Caves of Lore so far (so didn't feel like giving it a grade yet) but it also seems to have the heart in the right place.

raeven

Educated
Codex-Monkey-s-Paw.png

And they're both really fucking good holy shit the incline is reeeeaaaaall :positive:
ftfy

Ftfy

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And that is why it's sad to know that somewhere out there perhaps my favorite cRPG of the 20s has been released (or will), but the dev forgot that marketing is very important to make people know about their game.

Doubtful unless they're self-published on some obscure Thai website or something. If they're on Steam, GOG or any other popular storefront, I don't think there's that many 5/5 hidden gem cRPGs that aren't at least mentioned in passing here...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why do you people even care if there's shovelware on the list. It doesn't matter at all. Who gives a shit.

It causes psychic damage to have to scroll and read through so many titles.

She is baiting you, probably Mebrilia the Viera Queen alt or her transbian (((GF))). Ignore thots.

Nah, Meb's a biological bi woman whose girlfriend has no interest in games which is typical of femmes. Raevan says her partner is more into RPGs than she is so odds are very low they're both transbians.

Lhynn

Arcane
Voted this shit.

A lot of hot garbage released. Thankfully we got some decent stuff from the east. Much recommend Heroes adventure: Road to passion and wandering sword to anyone interested in playing fun games about the classic heroes journey.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Why do you people even care if there's shovelware on the list. It doesn't matter at all. Who gives a shit.

Especially with such an awful font.
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

:rpgcodex:
The problem with BG3 and Starfield is that they aren't "just" bad, they're straight-up evil. As in, like, made with malicious intent. I feel a profound blackness dripping off of them. The debate shouldn't even be about how bad they are, rather what crimes we could potentially bring the developers to court for. Obscenity laws don't really exist anymore, so I'd go with either desecration/destruction of a work of art (either of the DND setting itself or games as an artform), or emotional damages and slander because of all the misandry and sex-pest scenes.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem with BG3 and Starfield is that they aren't "just" bad, they're straight-up evil. As in, like, made with malicious intent. I feel a profound blackness dripping off of them. The debate shouldn't even be about how bad they are, rather what crimes we could potentially bring the developers to court for. Obscenity laws don't really exist anymore, so I'd go with either desecration/destruction of a work of art (either of the DND setting itself or games as an artform), or emotional damages and slander because of all the misandry and sex-pest scenes.
Oh my, aren't you a delicate snowflake...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
felipepepe
Not sure why repeat the same mistake (1-5 rating scale, instead of 1-4) again this year, when it was admitted post-results last year.

ed8Vnrd.png

Sauce: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=12147
The scale of 1-5 is simply better than 1-4, allows greater nuance in grading.
Most importantly, there's a clear "average" or "mixed" score, unlike in 1-4
Which makes said average too easy "I ques it's ok"-choice.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

raeven

Educated

Especially with such an awful font.
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

Therapy is an amazing tool, friendo.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Which is wrong because...?
Because scale not having a mid-point forces you to make decision between good or bad.
For this purpose a scale 1-2 would suffice.

And yet...

From my experience a large portion of rpgs are simply mediocre. Why do you need to force the voter's hand?

The scale 1-5 allows to choose between:
- terrible
- pretty bad
- mediocre
- pretty good
- great.

It's enoigh nuance for me.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The scale of 1-5 is simply better than 1-4, allows greater nuance in grading.
Which is wrong because...?
Because scale not having a mid-point forces you to make decision between good or bad.
No, it just forces me to treat 2/4 or 3/4 as average/mixed and results in an inflated/deflated rating.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Is Arcadian Atlas so bad it's good, or is it completely devoid of entertainment?

It took 7+ years to make? Holy shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom