Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Ladonna

Arcane
due to your actions in bg3 whole settlements will disappear. And not as ending slides.

Jeff Vogel was a revolutionary, way back in 1995. It's funny, he always rattles on about wanting to emulate a Baldur's Gate feel to his games, but instead Baldur's Gate ended up emulating his game. The circle is complete.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
due to your actions in bg3 whole settlements will disappear. And not as ending slides.

Jeff Vogel was a revolutionary, way back in 1995. It's funny, he always rattles on about wanting to emulate a Baldur's Gate feel to his games, but instead Baldur's Gate ended up emulating his game. The circle is complete.

Exile III came out in 1997! It also took him three games to introduce the idea.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
due to your actions in bg3 whole settlements will disappear
To be fair yeah bg3 can create an illusion of your actions having a big impact, but that’s just it — an illusion, i.e. a settlement will indeed disappear, but that wouldn’t be acknowledged by the game world and major characters. E.g. Jaheira being a druid and harper won’t ever comment anything on destruction of the Grove. And that’s just one example. Game struggles to recognize some really important decisions and actions. It’s as if bg3 tries to bite much more than it really is capable of.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
To be fair yeah bg3 can create an illusion of your actions having a big impact, but that’s just it — an illusion, i.e. a settlement will indeed disappear, but that wouldn’t be acknowledged by the game world and major characters. E.g. Jaheira being a druid and harper won’t ever comment anything on destruction of the Grove. And that’s just one example. Game struggles to recognize some really important decisions and actions. It’s as if bg3 tries to bite much more than it really is capable of.
meeting jaheira is harder if grove is gone. Whats more you can destroy yet another settlement in a2, along with safe barrier it provides. Then you can no longer save minsc in a3

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meeting jaheira is harder if grove is gone. Whats more you can destroy yet another settlement in a2, along with safe barrier it provides. Then you can no longer save minsc in a3
I destroyed the settlement in act 2, but also saved Minsc.

Mortmal

Arcane
It is time, Twiglard can you please close it and send the data?
Remember to trim the votes; some people brag about rating BG3 a 1 while admitting to not playing it, which is clearly against the spirit of this poll.
If that is allowed, why not rate a few indies a 1 just because we don't like the look too? No double standard.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
meeting jaheira is harder if grove is gone
Is it? It was pretty straightforward for me.
Whats more you can destroy yet another settlement in a2
Yeah which again would hardly be noticed by anybody in the game world. This game provides very little really interesting consequences, while throwing a lot of choices at you. They cowardly excluded Ketheric from being a possible ally — really the only villain I was able to empathize with. Destroying that settlement has no consequences apart from visual changes and cutting off a couple of characters. A good consequence would have been becoming allies with Ketheric, probably even having a redemption arc for him, but that’s just far too sophisticated for Larian.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I destroyed the settlement in act 2, but also saved Minsc.
doesnt surprise me, you can destroy it in sneaky way. In whole game you can be sneaky agent of destruction.

Yeah which again would hardly be noticed by anybody in the game world.
to be fair why would baldurs gate citizens notice some secret druid sect few days travel away being gone? Or mykonid village. Or banished gnomes living in underdark. Or Inn in area that was known not to travel and where army just marched through?
But there were brave journalists trying to call you out on your crimes, sadly someone sabotaged the press

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I actually don't criticize the devs too much for having the game not acknowledge player actions.

Axioms does have all the NPCs acknowledge actions by other NPCs and the player if they would have cared about those actions and been able to become aware of them and it is quite difficult. BG3 doesn't really have the foundation for that nor would you expect it to, so you'd need to explicitly write dialogue for any possible situation which hits the factorial explosion issue pretty quick. Doing it in a map and menu game with enormous RAM requirements and no actual dialogue is already really hard. Doing it in a 3D RPG that is a walking sim would be insanely complex.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
There needs to be a list of names made public of all the people who voted in favor of BG3.

8gr49z.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, I got the results, will do all the calculations and post it this weekend.

I'll leave just one fun fact for now: Codex hates Bethesda more than they hate Diablo.

Would it be an easy thing to add a member registration date to the excel table automatically? This question pops up every year, maybe if you could add it then people could filter by results their prefered join date.
Would be super easy to add because it's already there. It was on the 2022 GOTY too. It's just a really useless stat.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'll leave just one fun fact for now: Codex hates Bethesda more than they hate Diablo.

Probably because nobody played Diablo 4 without knowing what to expect. It's hard to be worse than Diablo 3.

Meanwhile Starfield was like wtf proportions of unexpected. Everyone was bracing for Skyrim in space but what they got was The Outer World's uglier, buggier sister.

raeven

Educated
That it's done in a ending slide is no qualitative difference it's just a different medium for the same C&C and the gameplay impact is nigh the same.
id say its quite a big difference when safe haven and vendors disappear? Or the fact that npcs no longer appear in future acts to vouch for you/offer help/whatever.

You brought arcanum, what exactly is in there?are you arguing that tarant falling to ruin many years in future is the gameplay impact?

I have not played arcanum in Full, but even at the starting areas there are multiple variables that change depending on your build, race and stats that have an impact on what quests you get and how to solve them. Again, BG 3 does nothing new, i'm really not willing to debate if for example the reactivity on low intelligence is worth more than idk, rescuing a unwilling damsel in distress that tries to ressurect his beloved with witchcraft which you stop and she becomes annoyed with you.

It might not be 'revolutionary', but the thing is, C&C hasn't been a mainstream talking point in games (or even done particularly well) since the heyday of the early 2000s. Okay, BG3 might not have more reactivity or C&C than Arcanum or Fallout 2, but it sure has shit has more than any mainstream game released since, and that's really exciting to see.

.... or did you forget the decade + of decline? I sure didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom