Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

redsky

Novice
Yakuza does look interesting, but I've never played a single game in the series - and this is what, the 6th entry?
And all the other games don't even play the same from what I hear, this is the first with RPG combat.

Troubleshooter? Oof - I'd have to be totally out of things to play to not be put off by the anime avatars. And my backlog has ~70 games.
There are just certain styles that I will never, ever get into. The bog standard "anime avatar" is one of them.

I thought its just me, I hate anime rpgs. I bet those games are made for people who have sexual problems. Is it so hard to make somethin realistic like Atom?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Next time the poll should be advertised only on members only viewable areas of the Codex, and a fake poll should be advertised on twitter as usual to throw the plebs off the scent of the real poll. Then the results of the public poll are tossed into the trash where they belong, and the results of the real one are announced on the front page.
Sure, here you go: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/codex-goty-2020-not-the-official-codex-goty.136400/

Results are basically the same, just more desperate to love cyberpunk:
1- Wasteland 3
2 - Troubleshooter
3 - Cyberpunk 2077
4 - Yakuza
5 - The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk

I've admitted that the game selection was a mistake and will do different next year, but some of you are just in denial that the codex's tastes don't line up with your edgy rants.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
These are the people who make massive threads about me just because they are STILL butthurt that several years ago I loved a Wizardry clone that they think it's just ok. I'll manage, don't worry.

I think it wasn't about that.

I believe it was because you put the poll on shitter and somehow believe you are entitled to run a poll on the codex behalf.

This is not the Codex GOTY but felipepepes GOTY. the Codex wasn't even involved in your selection of candidates

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I believe it was because you put the poll on shitter and somehow believe you are entitled to run a poll on the codex behalf.

This is not the Codex GOTY but felipepepes GOTY. the Codex wasn't even involved in your selection of candidates
Every single poll we ran was promoted on twitter. We do have an official RPG Codex twitter, you know.

And here you go then: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rustys-official-unofficial-rpgcodex-2020-goty-thread.136708/

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This would be solved with a custom site page for voting, forum members only. Use December got submissions, January for voting, and announced on last weekend of the month.

Make it truly an RPG codex award instead of a somewhat watered down interweb popularity contest.

Burning Bridges

What would you say did you achieve with that poll?
I think it shows that Wasteland 3 was InXile's best effort yet, that few people played this years games and that more people should try some of the games there, especially Yakuza and Troubleshooters.

I'm satisfied with it, and I think most people who voted also enjoyed it.

Wasteland 3 was InXile's best effort yet and few people played this years games, ok.

Burning Bridges

This would be solved with a custom site page for voting, forum members only. Use December got submissions, January for voting, and announced on last weekend of the month.

Make it truly an RPG codex award instead of a somewhat watered down interweb popularity contest.

My method would be that someone has to write an essay why this game is game of the year in his opinion, for every game, and then people could vote on the basis of those essays. Games that do not have anyone willing to write 2 pages are not even worth including in the contest.

This would be something that comes close to a professional jury and not only a question to a mob, like the one that put Jesus to the cross and gave freedom to Barnabas.

Arulan

Cipher
Just chiming in to say I appreciate the effort you put into these GOTY polls every year. felipepepe

Troubleshooter passed me by completely, so I'll have to check that out now.

People have made complaints that these do not represent the true Codex, but every year it's a couple half-assed alternatives. Put some real effort into it. Attempt to work with felipepepe or with some of the admins. Otherwise we'll see you here in 2022 with the same shit.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Fucking this. I'm sure there are people here who could contribute to building that out, myself included.

Tyrr

Liturgist

But then people no longer can blame the result on outsiders.
Be careful what you wish for.

A horse of course

I'm not sure a spammable public poll that requires no registration which also has its link posted to places like twitter and reddit for some ridiculous reason can in any sane sense be deemed an authoritative take of the RPG Codex's tastes. Especially when you factor in felipepepe's dubious standards for what constitutes a legitimate vote (if you only rated 1 game in the poll because it's the only one of those games you played that year, felipe throws your vote out as obviously fake, but if you've played 30+ of these obscure garbage games, then obviously your vote is totally legitimate under his expert gaze) and other weird standards for inclusion on his list and so forth.

Felipepepe also expresses a persistent skepticism that a single person might vote anywhere from a dozen to a hundred times on his poll (and promises that he can totally spot it when people do that, which I'm sure he can't unless someone is retarded enough to chain-vote from the same IP each time as opposed to using proxies or to use completely identical voting slates each time) even though his poll makes absolutely zero effort to require any form of authentication and is in fact extremely easy to spam. Ergo, felipepepe eyeballs a lot of shit when pruning the submissions and is running a garbage poll flooded with illegitimate votes for something that purports to be a Codex GOTY poll.

So the poll is hot garbage and doesn't count as an official GOTY or anything. I don't have anything against felipepepe, but I do have something against these ridiculously awful polls which some retards insist on calling authoritative takes on RPG Codex consensus.

:killit:

Agree 100% with this, except the part about having nothing against felipepe

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not sure a spammable public poll that requires no registration which also has its link posted to places like twitter and reddit for some ridiculous reason can in any sane sense be deemed an authoritative take of the RPG Codex's tastes. Especially when you factor in felipepepe's dubious standards for what constitutes a legitimate vote (if you only rated 1 game in the poll because it's the only one of those games you played that year, felipe throws your vote out as obviously fake, but if you've played 30+ of these obscure garbage games, then obviously your vote is totally legitimate under his expert gaze) and other weird standards for inclusion on his list and so forth.

Felipepepe also expresses a persistent skepticism that a single person might vote anywhere from a dozen to a hundred times on his poll (and promises that he can totally spot it when people do that, which I'm sure he can't unless someone is retarded enough to chain-vote from the same IP each time as opposed to using proxies or to use completely identical voting slates each time) even though his poll makes absolutely zero effort to require any form of authentication and is in fact extremely easy to spam. Ergo, felipepepe eyeballs a lot of shit when pruning the submissions and is running a garbage poll flooded with illegitimate votes for something that purports to be a Codex GOTY poll.

So the poll is hot garbage and doesn't count as an official GOTY or anything. I don't have anything against felipepepe, but I do have something against these ridiculously awful polls which some retards insist on calling authoritative takes on RPG Codex consensus.

:killit:

Is this, like, a really super-sophisticated troll or something?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it shows that Wasteland 3 was InXile's best effort yet, that few people played this years games and that more people should try some of the games there, especially Yakuza and Troubleshooters.

Okay, is my memory being faulty or did we have a codexer only poll sometime in the previous years?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Okay, is my memory being faulty or did we have a codexer only poll sometime in the previous years?
At the beginning of 2017, felipepepe ran a Codex-only ratings poll of all CRPGs in the period 2012 through 2016, which also doubled as the Codex GotY poll for 2016 (won by the PC port of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, although it was only in 7th place among all games in the 5-year stretch). He even made the spreadsheet containing full results available for download.

15468.jpg

15465.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The only things I'd change is to do a vote on the games included, if only to save yourself the constant bitching about it and also to make it Codex only (though that is probably more in DarkUnderlord 's hands than yours).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The weeb love on this site is quite despicable, but I will allow it.

Meanwhile, the low scores for cyberpunk is self evident. I mean I haven't even completed the game yet, because I'm waiting for patches and dlc, but the game is fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom