Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Modron

Arcane
I am just stating the facts. In 2006, it was RPGCodex's "Does not scale to your level," due to Oblivion's level scaling and the gameplay being dumbed down compared to Morrowind, catering to the mass market and Xbox 360.
Yeah and in 2003 people were saying Morrowind was shit (and they were right), codex changes.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
There's nothing to justify or discuss. 2024 Codex is officially, with clear evidence, no longer a site about RPGs; it's a platform for free speech, albeit one leaning towards alt-right, anti-woke politics. The "does not scale with your level" remark is completely out of touch. The place has nothing to do with discussings RPGs anymore.
Take it easy, it's not like they knocked BG3 down to #20.
I am just stating the facts. In 2006, it was RPGCodex's "Does not scale to your level," due to Oblivion's level scaling and the gameplay being dumbed down compared to Morrowind, catering to the mass market and Xbox 360. In 2024, BG3 does not have dumbed-down gameplay. It's the best tabletop adaptation ever, a superb revival of the genre with the highest production value ever seen. So, let's replace the title with RPGCodex's "The retards wrong on everything."

It very nearly still won despite the insincere downvoting. Disco Elysium was brigaded ever more heavily in 2019 (30% negative votes!), but in that year the competition was so weak it managed to win the #1 spot anyway.
You fucking idiot, you fucking bum. Allowing No Truce with the Furries to star in an RPG poll was a blasphemy for which we're being punished to this day.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
There's nothing to justify or discuss. 2024 Codex is officially, with clear evidence, no longer a site about RPGs; it's a platform for free speech, albeit one leaning towards alt-right, anti-woke politics. The "does not scale with your level" remark is completely out of touch. The place has nothing to do with discussings RPGs anymore.
I am just stating the facts. In 2006, it was RPGCodex's "Does not scale to your level," due to Oblivion's level scaling and the gameplay being dumbed down compared to Morrowind, catering to the mass market and Xbox 360. In 2024, BG3 does not have dumbed-down gameplay. It's the best tabletop adaptation ever, a superb revival of the genre with the highest production value ever seen. So, let's replace the title with RPGCodex's "The retards wrong on everything."
Also nonsense, Solasta is a way better Tabletop adaption.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
does not have dumbed-down gameplay
Eh? Sure it does. Giving everyone a free shove alone turns the gameplay into ledge-pushing simulator. Or free jumps, so you can exceed your movement by leaping everywhere. Many more stupid ways it warps the tabletop game to be more forgiving, and 5E is already a super dumbed-down version of D&D.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

It very nearly still won despite the insincere downvoting. Disco Elysium was brigaded ever more heavily in 2019 (30% negative votes!), but in that year the competition was so weak it managed to win the #1 spot anyway.
"Every Vote that is not 5/5 for the game my political views need to push must be insincere."

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

"Every Vote that is not 5/5 for the game my political views need to push must be insincere."
Infinitron isn't an SJW, but rather thinks that games don't suffer for having their writing and immersion ruined by SJW retardation. Truly bizarre

Anyhow my 1/5 for BG3 was totally sincere and I'm elated that the Decline was set back in this vote by ordinary Codexers.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It also assumes that all 41 people gave 1/5 because they dislike bears, not because some of them really disliked the game because, for them, it was a bad game.
Since BG3 is D:OS 3 I can just compare it to previous results.

1.4%/13 people gave D:OS a 1
2%/8 people gave D:OS EE a 1
8%/51 people gave D:OS 2 a 1 (a lot of people were really upset over the armor and initiative systems)
13%/40 people gave BG3 a 1

Since BG3 doesn't have D:OS 2's controversial game systems, the conclusion I come to is that most (I'd say at least half) of the 1-voters belong to the bigot brigade. Perhaps a solid dozen who just really don't like Larian games.
Alternatively, there's a trend showing Larian games getting worse over time.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
does not have dumbed-down gameplay
Eh? Sure it does. Giving everyone a free shove alone turns the gameplay into ledge-pushing simulator. Or free jumps, so you can exceed your movement by leaping everywhere. Many more stupid ways it warps the tabletop game to be more forgiving, and 5E is already a super dumbed-down version of D&D.
DND 5 is shit, so no changes could "ruin" it.
If anything, making spiritual weapon have HP and be killable was a decent fix.
The game was probably boring as fuck without those leaps. Anyway, it's 90% accurate. And since dnd5 is shit, bg3 is shit. It's all fair and square.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
BG3 really lacked verisimilitude for me. I complained about it way back when the demo was released, and the final game did not fix the issue.

You start off with this big action-movie intro, then you get this super pressing goal (worm eating your brain), and then you're stuck in this random patch of woods for one billion hours. It's the stupidest setup for a campaign I have seen in 20 years of tabletop. You're telling me I crashed out of the sky at random, and landed within a couple acres of:

-Zentharim outpost
-Multiple BG city officials
-A goblin army
-A gnoll army
-an immortal swamp witch
-Gith
-a dragon
-Ancient druid circle
-17 other random factions and scheming powers

All these people are standing 2 minutes from each other, waiting around for the player to come and do their quests? Talk about a small world. And none of this remotely has relevance to the urgent problem of dying by brain squid. It's the exact same game design as Fallout 4. "Go find your son right now!" but actually dick around the wasteland for 100 hours.

Meanwhile JA3 actually makes sense in the context of its setting and plot. You are mercs, you need to free this country. Break this down into meaningful sub-goals (capture towns, mines, and military bases). Then it lets you loose into the game world to just figure it out. You can move anywhere and do anything, and the game never forces you into a choke point.

BG3 doesn't even have a world map to orient yourself. You're telling me I have to go underground to travel to a city that's right there? How far is it? MFer people can fly in this setting. Just walk around that shit.

That kind of linear, forced, and curated game design is no better than level-scaling. It's the same result in the end.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
While the contarian result is funny, anyone who would give BG3 a 1 is absolutely unserious. I have a nice list of posters whose opinions on games I can just outright ignore.
While the contarian result is funny, anyone who would give BG3 a 5 is absolutely unserious. I have a nice list of posters whose opinions on games I can just outright ignore.
I actually gave BG3 and Starfield 2/5 I think. Saved my didnt play but still 1/5 votes for Forspoken, Hogwarts: Legacy, and Sandrock.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The Codex only exists for the purpose of future free marketing for Axioms Of Dominion, which will win either the 2024 or 2025 GotY poll by a wide margin.

Regardless I gave BG3 a 2/5 and considered 3/5.

DnD5 is trash, but BG3 had certain aspects that were impressive. I didn't play it but I watched people play it and I know people who are obsessed. Admittedly mostly LGBT+ people. There's a reason it won all those prizes at the Gayming Awards.

That reason is because all the conservatives talking about fucking your dog if gay marriage passed were right. (They were not actually right, regarding real life, but the bear sex thing in that context is insanely funny.)

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
If we are being fair BG 3 is a solid 2/5

It would be, maybe without the wokeness.

These people are hypocrites, I wonder how many of them would never touch a Hentai game for such a poll like the Rance series, which unironically features some really, really good games, for being "Cringe" or "disgusting" due to rape being depicted but when I think aside from the bad gameplay the woke sexual deviance is "cringe" or "disgusting" the it's not okay to let that influence my Vote.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This was the safest, most secure election in history.
Calling Jagged Alliance 3 a senile old Democrat isn't very nice
Baldur's Gate 3 is Trump,
Jagged Alliance 3 is Biden

And Colony Ship is Bernie Sanders.

Nah, this was 2016 all over again.
It also assumes that all 41 people gave 1/5 because they dislike bears, not because some of them really disliked the game because, for them, it was a bad game.
Since BG3 is D:OS 3 I can just compare it to previous results.

1.4%/13 people gave D:OS a 1
2%/8 people gave D:OS EE a 1
8%/51 people gave D:OS 2 a 1 (a lot of people were really upset over the armor and initiative systems)
13%/40 people gave BG3 a 1

Since BG3 doesn't have D:OS 2's controversial game systems, the conclusion I come to is that most (I'd say at least half) of the 1-voters belong to the bigot brigade. Perhaps a solid dozen who just really don't like Larian games.

Or D&D5E is absolute shit, game is insultingly easy, loot is boring, quests are bugged, multiplayer focus, Larian writing and not even mentioning all the woke retardation surrounding it. Giving anything but 1/5 is trolling.

Still joke poll when non-RPGs has won it before.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
If we are being fair BG 3 is a solid 2/5

It would be, maybe without the wokeness.

These people are hypocrites, I wonder how many of them would never touch a Hentai game for such a poll like the Rance series, which unironically features some really, really good games, for being "Cringe" or "disgusting" due to rape being depicted but when I think aside from the bad gameplay the woke sexual deviance is "cringe" or "disgusting" the it's not okay to let that influence my Vote.
I mean the argument from BG3Boys would be that all the sex in that game is consensual. Not saying it is a great argument, but it is logically consistent.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frankly if Rogue Trader was bug free, they would throw away their love for blacks and actually properly wrote xenophobic story and do detailed world building with empire where demons could be these nice guys. And when they would make combat system where you doesn't need alpha strike.

Then Rogue Trader might end become GOTY 2023.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
I mean the argument from BG3Boys would be that all the sex in that game is consensual. Not saying it is a great argument, but it is logically consistent.

That may be consistent but it's not logical. It's just a different flavor of "I don't like this content of the game", they are not supposed to ignore it and value the game for the rest of it's content like the wokesters do.

From my perspective it's their loss, I don't care if they deny themselves the experience but they want to force it on anyone, that is the difference.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Frankly if Rogue Trader was bug free, they would throw away their love for blacks and actually properly wrote xenophobic environments where demons could be these nice guys.
And when they would make combat system where you doesn't need alpha strike.

Then Rogue Trader might end become GOTY 2023.

I was a bit sad how Rogue trader turned out in the end, I like it still but it has many problems. Between Colony ship and RT it would be a toss up for me. Which is a bit of a shamefur dispray on owlcats part with their ressources.

jackofshadows

Magister
An observation: some people are clearly retarded and "forgetting" that the scale 1 to 5 also includes the timeline in one year. You weren't suppose to rate games just on the scale of 1 to 5, compared to every other RPG in existence.

std::namespace

83Ex8K5.png

shiteater central amirite

Saduj

Arcane
felipepepe I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize for the comments I made about your GOTY methodology in Site Feedback. You may not have seen it and if you did see it, you probably didn't care. But I still can't be this wrong and not apologize. As the 2023 results prove conclusively, you have a beautiful mind and your methods are above reproach.

God bless you and Gold bless the United States of America!

:hero:

That depends on the player realizing that accepting a dance under the moonlight or picturing yourself kissing your bro while he's psychically linked to you will be taken as romantic interest and it's not something bros do while broing out. We've had a few people complaining about being lured into these most dastardly fagtraps, and I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of my fellow codexers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom