Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chaos Chronicles

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope prestige classes are based on skills and/ or stats. Basing them on basic classes always ends up pigeon holing character building. I'm guessing you guys already realize this, though, based on your previous statements. :smug:

Cynic

Arcane
Prestige classes based on stat point allocation and perhaps offering even 2 choices per base class would be good enough for a start. You could offer 1 traditional kind of prestige class, like for example, fighter goes to elite warrior or something or can turn into a kind of fighter mage if you allocate the points correctly. Something like that...

This look's fucking great..... Is there hope?
Well, let's just think for a moment and remember how we all thought that there was NO way to see another old school, party based, turn based RPG with anything vaguely remember a decent budget and/or production value.

Now, we are here waiting for a 2013 with Age of Decadence, Dead State, Shadowrun Return, Wasteland 2 and Chaos Chronicles.
My expectations were so low at this point that this sounds already like a new golden age, to me, even if they don't turn out being that good (which I hope it's not the case).

almondblight

Arcane
Maybe if he wasn't such a Jew and didn't charge 25 pounds for it, it would have sold better.

Eh. It really depends. If he could get on Steam (which he isn't interested in right now), then yeah, I'm sure he'd make a lot more. I doubt dropping the price right now would get him much money, though, since he doesn't have much exposure.

Also, it seems that a lot of people can't conceptually do economics, so they feel that dropping the price of their game is somehow saying it's not worth as much, though I don't know if that's the case here.

Has anyone checked out the screenshots of KOTC 2 he posted?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
KotC was/is insanely overpriced at 25 dollars, and has some retarded design choices, like trapping players in a massive fort with no rest spots, forcing them to farm money so they can buy healing wands for the first fucking dungeon in the game...

It's a good game, but it's easy to see why it didn't sell... it's 5$ cheaper to pre-order Torchlight 2 than to buy KotC today, 3 years after release...

almondblight

Arcane

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
KotC was/is insanely overpriced at 25 dollars, and has some retarded design choices, like trapping players in a massive fort with no rest spots, forcing them to farm money so they can buy healing wands for the first fucking dungeon in the game...
:what:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
like trapping players in a massive fort with no rest spots, forcing them to farm money so they can buy healing wands for the first fucking dungeon in the game...
I didn't have to do this. I did use the dragon slaying arrow though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
15 actually.
Oh he finally dropped the price? Last time I checked(last year) it was still 24.95.

Anyway the point still stands. Demise Ascension kicks arse as a crawler and one can pick it up for a dorra at the moment and of course it sells. Mr Heroic Fantasy Games could be getting a few thousand extra year on year from this 'failed' game if he swallowed his pride rather than the couple hundred that he might get at current pricing levels.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I just wanted to inform you guys that we published a new entry about the combat system on our devblog. In this part we are talking about Hexes and Squares and why we chose hexagons. Please feel free to contribute your opinion about that topic on our blog or in this thread (we are following both). And furthermore, the codex will exlusively get the first screenshot of the combat: www.chaos-chronicles.com

Lottie

Educated
Write the blog entries in german too. Might be losing kids who cant read english yet.
As a german developer you have to play that national pride card.
Anno ratings over the years agree.
Also flags on cars on major championships and all that, you know.
You'll probably get more positive airtime with the national gaming news sources.
And one or two fans who are fans because its developed by our boys. See, Gothik.
Flink wie Windhunde, zäh wie Leder und hart wie Kruppstahl. M:

Questions:
Who is the artist who did the banner on top of your homepage?
Was the composition ref'ed from somewhere?
Looks eerie familiar to some weaboo cover art I cant properly place. Especially the main dude in the middle, how he holds the sword and how his face oriented downwards... I remember it from somewhere...

How does the AI architecture look under the hood?

Lottie

Educated
I see they have a seemingly competent founder. Props for Knights and Merchants and its features.

Peter Ohlmann
Technical Director and Founder

Started his career as programmer at Blue Byte in 1994 working at the popular „The Settlers II“. Thereafter, he founded the company Joymania Development to develop the game „Knights and Merchants“.

After several involvements in various projects, Peter joined the company Phenomic as Lead Engine Coder in 2003. At this position, he was responsible for developing the 3D engine of „Spellforce 2 – Shadow Wars“. Since 2006, Peter worked as freelance graphics programmer in different projects until he started COREPLAY in 2007.

Cynic

Arcane
I just wanted to inform you guys that we published a new entry about the combat system on our devblog. In this part we are talking about Hexes and Squares and why we chose hexagons. Please feel free to contribute your opinion about that topic on our blog or in this thread (we are following both). And furthermore, the codex will exlusively get the first screenshot of the combat: www.chaos-chronicles.com

I'm a little disappointed you didn't go with the ToEE style. One great thing about the combat in that game is the free feeling you got, you didn't feel like your characters were planted, stuck even, to some grid. You really felt like your party was fighting in that environment and the fights felt more engrossing this way. The IE games also had this feel, but without TB so...not as good.

I'd be quite interested in hearing why you chose to not go with that style, my first assumption would be something to do with using a full 3D engine, is that the case?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Grid > no grid. You want to know where you're gonna move and you want to be able to calculate distances. Plus, how many times did it happen in ToEE to click to move somewhere but the character couldn't get there so it would go in the nearest place it could reach? That's unacceptable.

Cynic

Arcane
I get what you are saying, but I actually liked this about ToEE, it somehow felt a bit more realistic. I understand how people would find it frustrating, but it made you REALLY think about your moves.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm not sure guessing is thinking. You had no way of knowing when the game decided that your character couldn't get to the place you chose. With a grid you know and the thinking is in the tactical movement on the grid.

Cynic

Arcane
Well it wasn't guessing for me honestly, I never had a problem of trying to move somewhere I couldn't, it was more the case of trying to move JUST out of the reach of monsters to avoid AoOs. I can see how some would see it as an issue, but I just never found it much of a problem and it felt kind of fresh when compared to all other grid + turn based games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom