Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chaos Chronicles

alx3apps

Educated
I must ask one thing though. Will there be any kind of dwarven ruins or abandoned settlements to explore? Like Mines of Moria from LOTR, or something like that? I always wanted to visit something dwarven from Tolkien or D&D but the games never gave much about them, they are pretty underused as a setting/race/dungeon. Little is known about their undermountain homes etc. Always we get elven woods and fairies and things like that... :(
But what is the main difference between dwarven Moria and drow's Underdark? I mean dungeon/setting difference, not the height and skin colour of quest-givers.

I think huge dungeons is kind of overused in D&D games (grinding drows in Pools of Darkness right now) and Mirkwood/Fangorn/Old Forest-like locations may be more intresting.

I must ask one thing though. Will there be any kind of dwarven ruins or abandoned settlements to explore? Like Mines of Moria from LOTR, or something like that? I always wanted to visit something dwarven from Tolkien or D&D but the games never gave much about them, they are pretty underused as a setting/race/dungeon. Little is known about their undermountain homes etc. Always we get elven woods and fairies and things like that... :(
But what is the main difference between dwarven Moria and drow's Underdark? I mean dungeon/setting difference, not the height and skin colour of quest-givers.

I think huge dungeons is kind of overused in D&D games (grinding drows in Pools of Darkness right now) and Mirkwood/Fangorn/Old Forest-like locations may be more intresting.

I don't have anything against nice, atmospheric locations you mention if they are well made. But I have a weak spot for dwarves. :D And don't think any game has made a proper representation of glorious dwarven kingdoms, craftsmanship and intricacies of their rune language. It could be much, much better than what you mention drow's Underdark. The problem is every time underground is mentioned it's always evil, stupid drow. :roll: I want to see outposts of "normal" good dwarves that mine magical metals and make best armors and weapons and some of their customs, and see them defend against evil creatures form the underworld because they have dug too deeply and too greedily. :love: Also developers somehow don't make effort to make dwarves interesting as they try with elves (that includes drows).

You really think that dwarves can't be made interesting when you see Tolkien and D&D? :?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
HobGoblin42 , do you have any more info on the prestige classes? I would like to have an idea on how many there are and what is the purpose you're trying to achiev with them... is it a way to allow further customization/replace multiclassing, a rare & special reward to empower characters, a automatic upgrade from basic classes...

Also, will there be quest & itens pre-requisite for prestige classes, like finding the ultra-hidden dragon that gives you a vial of his blood so you can be a Dragon Disciple (dumb example, I know). On this I liked how Dragon Age actually made some prestige classes hard to obtain, instead of just having people magically turning into a Arcane Archer because yes.

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about prestige classes yet, because we are going to create our own system combining features from epic and prestige classes.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Right, so when is this supposed to be released? I think I've missed it if it was ever mentioned.

mote

Novice
I don't really see why people compare Tolkien to D&D, I mean undoubtedly Tolkien influenced the creation of it, but in D&D you've got magic all over the place. In Lord of the Rings magic is essentially dead, there's only two wizards left in the world. Even in the First Age you didn't have people throwing lightning bolts, magic in Tolkien's works has always been subtle, ie an Elf makes a bow out of wood, so that bow shoots further than any bow made by men, that's "magic" for Tolkien.

If anything, Tolkien just influenced the human/elf/halfling/dwarf party concept with the Fellowship.

kaizoku

Arcane
I don't have anything against nice, atmospheric locations you mention if they are well made. But I have a weak spot for dwarves. :D And don't think any game has made a proper representation of glorious dwarven kingdoms, craftsmanship and intricacies of their rune language. It could be much, much better than what you mention drow's Underdark. The problem is every time underground is mentioned it's always evil, stupid drow. :roll: I want to see outposts of "normal" good dwarves that mine magical metals and make best armors and weapons and some of their customs, and see them defend against evil creatures form the underworld because they have dug too deeply and too greedily. :love: Also developers somehow don't make effort to make dwarves interesting as they try with elves (that includes drows).

You really think that dwarves can't be made interesting when you see Tolkien and D&D? :?

Dragon Age did this :smug:

Deitti

Augur
fuck, this looks promising, definetly keeping my eyes on this project.

Dragon Age did this :smug:

Yeah, it wasn't too bad what they done, but the game, and it's mechanics are shitty so it wasn't too good.
I don't really see why people compare Tolkien to D&D, I mean undoubtedly Tolkien influenced the creation of it, but in D&D you've got magic all over the place. In Lord of the Rings magic is essentially dead, there's only two wizards left in the world. Even in the First Age you didn't have people throwing lightning bolts, magic in Tolkien's works has always been subtle, ie an Elf makes a bow out of wood, so that bow shoots further than any bow made by men, that's "magic" for Tolkien.

If anything, Tolkien just influenced the human/elf/halfling/dwarf party concept with the Fellowship.

Yeah, but seems to me they go "low magic" route as I've seen it mentioned that even a +1 sword is a powerful weapon. And hobgoblin42 mentioned that Tolkien is their influence also...

alx3apps

Educated
Also developers somehow don't make effort to make dwarves interesting as they try with elves (that includes drows).
It's harder with dwarves, than with elves. Good elves with good magic praying to good gods for greater good, living in tree-houses in green forest. Evil drow with evil magic praying to evil gods for greater evil, living in dark underground.
Canonical dwarves = mining, smithing, crafting, no exposed magic, living under the mountain not far away from the surface.
So it should be underground city (like in MM7, may be abandoned long ago). Elves spent time singing songs and climbing the trees, drow - making their evil rituals for evil. But dwarves are workers - so their city buildings/dungeon levels must be made with everyday purpose - mining levels with miners equipment, blacksmith shops, private workshops, private quarters, other city necessary institutions. I don't think that it's easy task to add interesting gameplay to such game location. It seems quite easier to make freaking drow's labyrinths with magical traps after each corner and madly intertwined passages constructed with no purpose except for evil gods' evil rituals.

Radisshu

Prophet
This looks really interesting

%7BD0916E98-B703-4007-9260-EC719DED6D49%7D.jpg

Also developers somehow don't make effort to make dwarves interesting as they try with elves (that includes drows).
It's harder with dwarves, than with elves. Good elves with good magic praying to good gods for greater good, living in tree-houses in green forest. Evil drow with evil magic praying to evil gods for greater evil, living in dark underground.
Canonical dwarves = mining, smithing, crafting, no exposed magic, living under the mountain not far away from the surface.
So it should be underground city (like in MM7, may be abandoned long ago). Elves spent time singing songs and climbing the trees, drow - making their evil rituals for evil. But dwarves are workers - so their city buildings/dungeon levels must be made with everyday purpose - mining levels with miners equipment, blacksmith shops, private workshops, private quarters, other city necessary institutions. I don't think that it's easy task to add interesting gameplay to such game location. It seems quite easier to make freaking drow's labyrinths with magical traps after each corner and madly intertwined passages constructed with no purpose except for evil gods' evil rituals.

Yes, it's more convenient, but it's better to make dwarves interesting because every other games does what you suggested. Ok, they don't have EXTREME magic, but they have tech (as far as fantasy goes), and they can have cool, enchanted doorways with runes etc. They can do wonders with mixing cool magical metals (that the dwarves mine, and can't be found in the surface), low rune magic, and "bizzare tech and dwarven contraptions". Yeah I agree, it's easier to drop in just a random dungeon with drow, but it surely isn't better!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I remenber hearing about how Duegars now have psionics too... it's a interesting twist to what previosuly was just evil grey dwarves...

I remenber hearing about how Duegars now have psionics too... it's a interesting twist to what previosuly was just evil grey dwarves...

Man, I can't wait for this. I'm starved for GOOD fantasy. And judging by screenshots this should at least look great. And have good atmosphere. Almost all we got in last 10 years was fantasy ala Dragon Age. :( I missed me some good old D&D. Especially with graphics reminiscent of old isometric games with gorgeous graphics. And pointy wizard hats. :D

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Man, I can't wait for this. I'm starved for GOOD fantasy. And judging by screenshots this should at least look great. And have good atmosphere. Almost all we got in last 10 years was fantasy ala Dragon Age. :( I missed me some good old D&D. Especially with graphics reminiscent of old isometric games with gorgeous graphics. And pointy wizard hats. :D
Did you play KotC bro? Yeah, I know the setting is almost non-existent, but still it's the only real fantasy rpg since ToEE.

Did you play KotC bro? Yeah, I know the setting is almost non-existent, but still it's the only real fantasy rpg since ToEE.

No bro I didn't play it. Why? Is it good?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
It is. Think Temple of Elemental Evil with some really punishing encounters rather than bugbears and nicely thought out restricted camping. It has its faults, of course. Mechanically, you can only have four characters, there's hardly any party buildup (three races, three classes, no multiclassing) and crafting is OP. Graphics are also terrible (the font!), and, like I said, there is no real plot or background story.
Still, if you're for some highly unfair tactical DnD battles, this is the game for you.

It's a crying shame the game didn't sell well and its author decided to postpone the sequel aand instead is making a RTS game :decline:

It is. Think Temple of Elemental Evil with some really punishing encounters rather than bugbears and nicely thought out restricted camping. It has its faults, of course. Mechanically, you can only have four characters, there's hardly any party buildup (three races, three classes, no multiclassing) and crafting is OP. Graphics are also terrible (the font!), and, like I said, there is no real plot or background story.
Still, if you're for some highly unfair tactical DnD battles, this is the game for you.

It's a crying shame the game didn't sell well and its author decided to postpone the sequel aand instead is making a RTS game :decline:

Yeah, :(.

But we now have Chaos Chronicles to look forward to! :thumbsup:

Cosmo

Arcane

You're forgetting the best AI i've ever seen in a CRPG, coupled with a masterful culling of the D&D magic system, that leaves only the essential and enables/forces you to use it intelligently.
Plus, the only really unfair battle is not mandatory...

Cynic

Arcane
I want to see a video of this game in action, when will that happen?

3 wizards - they refer to one other guy who isn't involved because he's only concerned with animals and couldn't care less about humans/elves/orcs/Sauron/etc - but good point nonetheless. When you think of it that way, it's odd how much LotR is taken as the epitome of 'high fantasy'.

Having said that, the main thing Tolkein gets attributed to him is 'settling' the various mythology into a shared concept (e.g. 'elves' in traditional folktales are just as likely to be evil child-eating fairy-monsters).

mote

Novice

3 wizards - they refer to one other guy who isn't involved because he's only concerned with animals and couldn't care less about humans/elves/orcs/Sauron/etc - but good point nonetheless. When you think of it that way, it's odd how much LotR is taken as the epitome of 'high fantasy'.

Having said that, the main thing Tolkein gets attributed to him is 'settling' the various mythology into a shared concept (e.g. 'elves' in traditional folktales are just as likely to be evil child-eating fairy-monsters).
Actually now that I remember, their were actually 5 Wizards in all. Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast (I think he appears once in the books), and the two "Blue Wizards", who are never seen at all and only mentioned once.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Yeah, :(.

But we now have Chaos Chronicles to look forward to! :thumbsup:

GO BUY A COPY OF KOTC YA LUMMOX!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom