Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It is, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel like we are beating on a guy who was let down by his parents in that he never learnt manners, maturity, humility and compassion from those who should have taught him those virtues. His much vaunted Ultima fanfic is a testament to his mental state and it seems that, more than 10 years later, he still has not progressed past that loser stage.

Sometimes, calling shillarytron out on his asshattery is like kicking a Down's Syndrome kid for being mentally incapable.

And then I give myself a slap for being a fool.

Fire away, Chris. Fire away!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mr. Hiver Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mr. Hiver
    The writing in Witcher 3 did have some avoidance of responses and questions but it was never too much. It was mostly done to keep some secondary plot details a secret a bit longer for an eventual payoff.
    And the payoff was usually so good it was worth getting over a few deflections.
    I also appreciated not getting half a dozen of "different" replies which mean nothing, especially after seeing how badly it is done in Pillars of Deadfire. It made sense for an established character such as Geralt is, as well as the setting.

In case of the Bloody Baron quest those issues weren't really important. It wasnt a quest about harsh and violent family dysfunction, thats was just the lead into the actual quest and a connecting line to the Crones.

The actual meat of the matter, the actual eventual payoff was - doing what Witchers are supposed to be doing.
    And that is not the fancy sword spinning or merking monsters left and right with signs.

The real thing, the very core of feeling what is to be a Witcher, is that moment when you tell Baron to order everyone hide and dont come out for the whole night.
    And Geralt kneels down to bury an undead baby and name her, then keeps watch, eyes glowing in the dark, while the storm and lightning flash overhead.

And the moments when you find Geralt (and yourself) alone in the middle of the night, everyone else hidden in their homes covering in terror, and you stare at the little floating dead baby thinking... "Wait... im supposed to do what? Is this... for real?" And then you go running after a flying dead baby as it floats through the night over fields and roads, eyes wide open in wonder.
    Thats... proper Witchery.

I feel that introducing a "middle path" doesnt work in such games that have such extreme binary separation of good and evil, as it only becomes a third extreme, as unrealistic and unattainable as the other two.
    It doesnt really correct the problem, but just adds another one.

I think the proper path is to start without such extreme separation, and i think Witchers best quests did just that. The good and evil are still there, occasionally, but its not what everything is reduced to.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bladeract It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again. Dumbfuck

Unwanted
    I really hate this. It was so garbage in NWN 2. You would think management would veto its use ever again, but nope instead they doubled down.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. thekdawg21 Augur

thekdawg21
    Project: Eternity
    Hey Chris Avellone, I just wanted to say thank you for your awesome body of work. Your influence is sorely missed in newer Obsidian games (PoE2) where the writing is competent at best, but dull and uninspiring. Can't wait to see what's in your future projects. I want to get excited about an RPG that's more than party building and combat simulator.

Glad to hear you got yourself out of a toxic situation but I can't help but ask: In what order do you think a game dev company should be aiming to please: fans, investors, it's employees, it's owners? Anyone else? The obvious answer is "all of them", but the primary focus of a company is getting it's owners and investors paid, with employees gaining some mutual benefit from it. If you ran a studio, what would your priorities be?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Posting to say I finally speed-scrolled through to the end of this trainwreck and all I got was this lousy hat:

[​IMG]
    (The hat keeps calling me a "cuck". Is this an intended feature or a bug?)

• Salute x 6
    • M'lady x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Prestigious x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    To me it always seemed Obsidian were quite willing to experiment. Maybe not in terms of organizational structure and stuff, but certainly with the games.

KoToR2 has done some freaky stuff with Star Wars setting that I'm sure George Lucas never anticipated. Although the best Expanded Universe novel, Stover's Shatterpoint starring Mace Windu, touched upon many similar themes.

Dwarves certainly sounds experimental even if it never got made.

MotB goes without saying.

South Park - it had to take a lot ingenuity to make it actually look like a cartoon.

Alpha Protocol - unique setting, with some cool innovation dialogue innovations.

PoE2 Deadfire - arguably the most experimental and setting for an RPG since...either Lionheart or Arcanum, I guess? We had plenty of comedy/wacky pirate games. But never a pirate game played straight and exploring some of the most grim themes of the colonial era, slavery, exploitation of native tribes, corporations fighting for trading rights. That was quite a gamble to make a sequel in such a risky setting, as opposed to PoE1 clone, aka, generic medieval RPG with magic.

So I'm not sure what Chris means by having to travel outside the US to find some experimental projects. I guess it means gameplay experiments not narrative experiments, am I getting this right?

• retadred x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cross Erudite

Cross
    How on earth is a cinematic cover shooter about the dangers of private military companies (i.e. the plot of almost every triple-A shooter) 'experimental'? And it was originally going to be even more of a low effort game before Sega forced them to add in stealth and more RPG elements.

Maybe, but the actual game design is bog standard and a rather uninspired way to translate South Park to a game. Though to be fair to Obsidian, this was likely the result of the South Park creators being heavily involved in development and dictating their own bad ideas.

[​IMG]

• WTF am I reading x 9
    • Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Play more games!
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MajorMace Arbiter

MajorMace
    i actually liked risen 2
    until bugs made it absolutely unplayable that is

i had to confess

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I played that - for total of 30 seconds and then I immidiately uninstalled it the moment first VO started to speak. So try again, bub.

^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Allergic toward decent games i take it. Seeing how you managed to play twice that shit deadfire.

PS:Even broken game like Risen 2 is far better one than Deadfire....and have better writing. Not a single description in the whole game!

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Yeah, Risen 2 especially excels in art direction.

[​IMG]

It literally looks like they run out of money, so they took the male face, added lipstick, make-up and gigantic tits and that's how Risen 2 got its main romantic interest.

Quality craftsmanship, that. :lol:

• Excited! x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    :avatard: Bad taste in games and bad taste in women....what a surprise.

^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    negus plz

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Ehm, it's his sister.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Which one?
    Or

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick

*unzips*

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Riddler Magister Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    They used at least 8 union actors for the majority of the VA + a few (perhaps 8 more) others, who may or may not have been union, for lesser parts.

^ Top  
  19. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    "I don't have gold enough" is a great line.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That is from Risen 3 :lol:, which was more egregiously awful than 2 in most ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shilandra Learned

Shilandra
    There's no way that's real. Is believe a screenshot showing a "choke the bitch" option before I be live that's actually in deadfire.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Risen 1 was fun. Others, nah.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MajorMace Arbiter

MajorMace
    Risen 1 was about colonialism ? I remember there were mages, smugglers and the bad guy's crew, but who's supposed to be the colonizer or the colonized there ?
    It's been almost a decade I've played it, all I remember is that the men of the Don would salute me once I became his captain :incline: and the main quest making the player roam the island to find pieces of whatever. Twice. :decline:

^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    This one:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. MajorMace Arbiter

MajorMace
    I'm a proud second class citizen of the hollywood empire. The homeland takes its tribute now and then by the application of extraterritorial laws. I'm perfectly aware that whites can be colonized.

But I thought the inquisition was on the island to find something specific. I had no memory they were actually settling.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.