Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity - By Vault Dweller and the Spirit of Grunker

AMG

Arbiter
of course a game released 3 months ago doesn't have the benefit of nostalgia
And what there is to be nostalgic about PoE? What people will remember fondly about it?
Raedric's hold? Durance conversations? Climbing down a kobold sacrificial well expecting just shitty loot and being face to face with a big ass dragon 2 dungeon levels below? Shrug

I stopped playing the game to wait for patches but I'm sure PoE has comparable things to reminisce like carrying a baby in your inventory

You can carry a baby in inventory in PoE.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Felipepe just reminded me of the Endless Paths of Shit Nua, a mega dungeon full of awesomeness. You have a level full of kobold encounters, another level full of kobold encounters then a level with beetles and one with slimes and trolls. Finally you find an NPC that wants to talk to you! What does he want? He wants you to kill all the other mobs on the level. Brilliant. After 4 more levels of encounters you will meet another NPC who's willing to talk, the head vampire. What's his bidding - wait for it, it's good - of course: all the other vampires on the level need to be killed. Bedazzling. That's some seriously glorious stuff going on there,on par with Watcher's Keep, the encounters at the final seals, the deck of many things, the machine of Lum the Mad, the maze level with all those demons and dead magic zones. Yes, just nostalgia.
Fuck I tried

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Guys, a friend of mine complained that PoE was too hard even on normal difficulty in comparison with DAI. He found the game so hard he couldn't complete it.

He was probably soloing it with a paladin and played on PotD by mistake.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know what's up really. You tried to prove, like other times in the past, that nostalgia fags are nostalgic about nothing and failed?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Felipepe just reminded me of the Endless Paths of Shit Nua, a mega dungeon full of awesomeness. You have a level full of kobold encounters, another level full of kobold encounters then a level with beetles and one with slimes and trolls. Finally you find an NPC that wants to talk to you! What does he want? He wants you to kill all the other mobs on the level. Brilliant. After 4 more levels of encounters you will meet another NPC who's willing to talk, the head vampire. What's his bidding - wait for it, it's good - of course: all the other vampires on the level need to be killed. Bedazzling. That's some seriously glorious stuff going on there,on par with Watcher's Keep, the encounters at the final seals, the deck of many things, the machine of Lum the Mad, the maze level with all those demons and dead magic zones. Yes, just nostalgia.

Yeah Ed Nua is mostly dissapoiniting. TBH most of the "dungeons" in PoE are huge dissapointment for me. They don't even have simpliest of puzzles/riddles most of the time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
TBH most of the "dungeons" in PoE are huge dissapointment for me. They don't even have simpliest of puzzles/riddles most of the time.
The tutorial dungeon has a simple puzzle. The tutorial also has an ambush, multiple CYOA events and the possibility to speak with a kobold.

One would think that it would be a small taste of what's to come, of a game full of puzzles, ambushes, CYOA segments and warring enemy factions. One would be oh so mistaken.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dunno, with a 15-level megadungeon it seems to me that one could be pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's not straight-up Diablo

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

There's also the Ogre that wants all the Ogres on his level killed as well :lol:

Weasel
It seems Hiver has responded to Infinitron's post in this thread in the only place he's allowed - Prosperland :salute:

Infinitron
Pillars of Eternity: The Dog That Didn't Bark

So, with all this drama about Pillars of Eternity going on for the past few months, it can be hard to notice what didn't happen.

The dog that didn't bark. The dog named hiver. Where are the endless pages of shitslurping? The interminable one on one with Vault Dweller that has to be moved to its own thread?

In fact, as far as I can tell, hiver has never had much interest in this game. And maybe that makes him the truest Codexer of us all. Saving his energy for the would-be Fallout successors and would-be Torment successors. The games that the Codex is supposed to have valued over generic fantasy real-time with elves.

Hiver, I salute you. :salute: :salute:

By all accounts and facts you are a dog that barks a lot but has no bite. A really stupid, shitfaced cowardly retarded dog.

You know very well that i am confined to glorious prosperland because DU lost another argument he tried to win by idiotic strawmans. (although on second thought it may be he actually believed those idiotic ideas, but that doesnt make it any better) And because you and a few other "moderators" just cant deal with any kind of factual or rational discussion but constantly try to force your retarded fallacies as truth and get lobotomized when talking to me. Just like this brainless example of your idiocy will end.

Thats because you are actually that fucking stupid.

Me and your hero VD went into an argument because he tried to defend his idiotic review of Wasteland 2 by empty declarations he cannot explain or support by anything, more fallacies and utter cretinism.

And then you and probably some other moderators moved that into a separate thread to try and hide that review is utter idiotic garbage based on single fact - that VD enjoyed that shit game, as he himself proclaimed, enjoying something or not is all that matters.

Shitslurping? You mean like the very thing you are trying to taste by posting this cretinous abortion of logic only to try and make me butthurt so you can enjoy it, because i cant reply to you in that thread?
How does it taste now you laughable stupid cunt?

As for PoE, ive said long ago that its idiotic execution of engagement mechanic applied to every single creature in the game without any measure or consideration will ruin it completely - and it did.

Ive written several posts about that and a separate one about how a combat that is Real Time with Pause should concentrate on making the Real Time of it very good... otherwise all it will have is the Pause, and PoE specifically disregarded the RT section and concentrated everything on the Pause, i.e. the gameplay that is frozen and static. When one adds other mechanics Roxor detailed very nicely in his review, together with utter shit of encounter design and environment - all hitting into the wall of no Xp for combaat in a combat focused game - and the huge failures in integration of lore setting and world building with several big features that were forced in, as VD and ghost of Grunker explained...

And when we know how idiotic the main plot is (souls are batteries for fake gods in a setting where reincarnation is real! :retarded: wooo!) and its execution is even more contrived (the trial/rebellion in DB and other such idiotic forced events) ....

Then what is left to praise?

1. Text adventures you had to play unlocking companions content and secrets that have consequences on future events with them. These text adventures were just superb and the bets and deepest examples are those with Grieving Mother and Durante, of course.

2. Reputation system that affected dialogue choices you had and therefore provided new or closed some resolutions to some quests.

3. Design of Raedrick Hold that provided different gameplay paths that were dependant on you character stats.

4. The Darklands style text adventure choices you sometimes had in some locations that were subverted and largely made irrelevant by how easy and non punishing they were (you can succeed in all of them regardless of anything else) - which removes any sense of a real choice from them and turns them into superficial flavor choices.

5. Oh yeah, really nice environment graphics.

But, all that is simply drowning in the rest of the game content.

So even if i wrote the most balanced review that would equally concentrate on these great features (that all other reviews failed to even recognize), as much as on the many negative ones, the overall score would be still negative.

So you can eat shit.

And pretend it tastes really great.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I dunno, with a 15-level megadungeon it seems to me that one could be pleasantly surprised by the fact that it's not straight-up Diablo
One could have been, if caed nua had not been straight up diablo.

Having a quest NPC you could talk to every few levels and the rest being just pure slaughter was very diablo.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Personal taste aside, Mass Effect 2 is much more successful in fulfilling its "Space Jesus popamole romance simulator" role than PoE is of being a good spiritual successor to the IE games.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've finished Mass Effect 2 a few times. It was pretty fun.

ME1 had better shooting gameplay though. Unscoped some husk from across the map with the sniper and laughed my head off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom