Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Not if you make it part of game files and at the same time being gibberish protected by 256bit encryption.

:discohitler:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    My IG Fighter with Lore appreciated it. Walking right through and losing a bit of HP was NBD once you have the Armor and full defense skills.

Wait, complaining about a reloading being elicited in AoD? :hahyou:

^ Top  
  3. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Nope, just about the situation itself.
    That was aod at its worse tbh. Its a great game to be sure. but as i said, sometimes i wanted to punch vd.

^ Top  
  4. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    So, meh-good-meh-meh-awful-good-meh.

Okies.

^ Top  
  5. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    If a review with such high standards and amount of nitpicking was done for any recent "big" RPG release (Witcher 3 or whatever crap like that), the reviewer would go insane.

The whole review seems like a comparison of AoD with the perfect RPG in the mind of the reviewer and contains way too many details to the point that it made me want to play the game less, just because I know so many mechanics already just by reading it.

Also skill checks that block/provide more or less content should not be analyzed to such an extent in a review. You need this and that to do that thing and if you don't have the other thing you can't... Seriously wtf? Is this a review or a feedback for a beta version?

By the way I still haven't even bought AoD and have no personal opinion about it, but this text was not a review that helped me decide if it's a good RPG or not, but more of an extreme breakdown of every feature and mechanic of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That explains some of Bubbles' behavior over the past couple of weeks. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. SausageInYourFace Angelic Reinforcement Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ What review is he writing? Please tell me its Fallout 4.

^ Top  
  8. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's Undertale.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    ok i'll write another one where i really do compare it to dungeon siege 3 instead

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    lmao

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    lmao or not, and dungeon siege 3 jokes aside, the review fails to provide an insight to what the game actually offers and instead focuses on what your high standards expect.
    I guess it might appeal to people that have played AoD 20 times already and are familiar with every aspect but to me it didn't review the game properly.
    Also, sorry if you expect only positive feedback after a review but as games get judged, so do people that review them. Otherwise every review should be taken seriously...but most aren't and shouldn't.
    And from the Codex I do expect criticism,sarcasm and witty humor, but I would also like some emphasis on what a niche CRPG offers in comparison with the mainstream instead of nitpicking and finding every little "imbalance" after 10 playthroughs.

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    sounds to me like you can't read

but maybe i'm just biased who knows

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    To be fair, that could probably be said about his PoE review. I wouldn't know, tho, since I read only two sentences before closing it in rage.

Also, those who bet this review wouldn't generate butthurt can pay now.

^ Top  
  14. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the PoE review either. I do like the way you write Darth Roxor, it's just that for me such games (although PoE is not the same with AoD of course) should get some extra focus on the features we've missed for many years. It's just that your reviews consider them a given and then go on to judge the details.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    Mighty Bubbles shall hole this internet forum avatar sensation beneath the waterline

^ Top  
  16. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    You might say Darth Roxor reviews are timeless and not contextual.

^ Top  
  17. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    The revioo is practically chockful of superlatives regarding AoD's combat and replayability and how they genuinely stand out, plus a bunch of positive stuff about its various other aspects, and yet you keep telling me that somehow it's not clear what the game has to offer in comparison to all the other shit out there? What the fuck do you want me to do, write those highlights in font size 72 or put a score and bullet point list of pros and cons at the end?

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  18. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    PoE throroughly failed to live up to the expectations it set on kickstarter, and thats what was adressed on Roxors, review. It was fair and maybe too positive in some regards.
    AoD aimed much higher, but fell flat in a lot of places and this review reflects that. Which made this one sound a hell of a lot more positive when comparing them.

^ Top  
  19. Irenaeus II Unwanted Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Unwanted
    I miss you in POE Story & Setting bitching thread

^ Top  
  20. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Yeah, had a long weekend. threads about shitty games like fallout 4 and poe are the bests to hang out in tho, really lulzy.

^ Top  
  21. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Jimmious

Dude, just buy the game already. It's not that expensive and Steam Christmas sales are right around the corner.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Eyestabber that I will. Just too many fucking games currently.

^ Top  
  23. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    That's a good thing. Who knows when we're going to have another 2015.

AoD is a pretty controversial game here in the 'dex. That's why it's so hard getting a straight answer.

For me what AoD offers is above average writing, great combat and the strongest branching/C&C of all recent RPGs (maybe one of the strongest of all times) which is, IMO more than enough to consider it a great game.

^ Top  
  24. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    The thing is, and I might not be making this clear with my posts, that AoD cuts off a lot of content depending on your character choices which is something different but Roxor bashes it because it doesn't support "balance", meaning all builds being equally viable.
    That's what I got at least.

^ Top  
  25. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    He doesnt bash it, hes just pointing out that making a talky talky character makes the game a visual novel.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.