Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

Lhynn

Arcane
Who had the idea of putting a trap that couldnt be avoided other than with traps skills or just not going there, that permanently deducted hp?

Perkel

Arcane
Well you can't go wrong with TW3. Even if this will be worst RPG you have ever played it will have one of the best OST you ever heard.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Who had the idea of putting a trap that couldnt be avoided other than with traps skills or just not going there, that permanently deducted hp?
Oscar. If it was me the trap would have killed you and then probed you anally to make sure that you are really dead and not just faking it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sounds like some degenerate gameplay. Irene you have to choose whether you are on the AoD or PoE side of CRPG design.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oscar. If it was me the trap would have killed you and then probed you anally to make sure that you are really dead and not just faking it.
That would have been preferable.

Lhynn

Arcane
Sounds like some degenerate gameplay. Irene you have to choose whether you are on the AoD or PoE side of CRPG design.
Not really a contest, AoD is superior design in every way. the only problem with AoD is that you keep feeling like the DM both doesnt like you and is going to try to cheat to fuck you over. Its so fucking scripted in places.
Some forced actions like making me go straight to the quest give after im done with a quest because they dont want me going back to town and finding a tool that will allow me to advance in a place, or doing something else until im able to advance there feels like shit.

Saying that baldurs gate is railroady and then pulling this bullshit felt really out of place.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1) A trap that offers nothing but minor inconvenience is pointless. The idea is to kill or seriously injure the trespasser. Since in RPGs healing some HP is rarely an issue, the only options are:

- instant death, provided that you aren't forced to trigger the trap
- permanent, rage-inducing HP loss
- triggers guards (if you aren't a fighter, you are as good as dead)

2) We return you to the quest giver either to save you some traveling time or to return you to the city map if the quest took place outside of it. You're free to explore between quests.

3) BG is railroady.

duanth123

Arcane
1) A trap that offers nothing but minor inconvenience is pointless. The idea is to kill or seriously injure the trespasser. Since in RPGs healing some HP is rarely an issue, the only options are:

2) We return you to the quest giver either to save you some traveling time or to return you to the city map if the quest took place outside of it. You're free to explore between quests.

3) BG is railroady.

I would laugh heartily were you to really strike at the player's ego and psyche, like with the following, enhanced options:

- The trap horribly disfigures you, with the rest of the game being an Arcanum run with dump stat Beauty, and everyone insults you unless you bribe them to tolerate your presence.
- The trap maims you, precluding the use of certain equipment slots or weapon types...
- The trap cuts off your dick and you are intermittently reminded of that fact after any major combat victory or accomplishment
- The trap injects you with a slow-acting toxin, which stops your heart several combat turns (or minutes, in an non-combat run) prior to clearing the game.
- The trap injects you with a slow-acting toxin, which causes gradual mental degradation, manifesting as apparent bugs or poorly edited text...

duanth123

Arcane
- The trap deletes all your saves everytime you exit the game

I get yer point, but consider that, for the :monocled: player, VD could introduce certain warning signs, like the development off a cough, or weird visions, headaches, that would cause the observant, engaged player to seek out some sort of cure questline...

Which is to say,

Either:

1) Have the trap alter the player in a significant way not immediately apparent, but which can be resolved if the player exercises some thought (your slow-acting poison, your creeping insanity); or

2) Have the trap cause immediate effect that can't be "healed", but only affects the player's interactions with other characters in the world (your fugly disfigured, your eunuch)

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane

They all elicit a reload, so i dont know what your point was. You should have gone with money, by destroying one of his items or requiring a hefty sum to heal said wound. Best way to hurt the player without forcing him to reload.

I didnt want to go back just yet. I came back to the mine anyway after i talked to the npc and finished the quest and it was guarded and was impossible to get tru to the part where the trap was. I couldnt even murder the guards, which i would have done consequence free by leaving no witness regardless.

3) BG is railroady.
No, BG is linear in the same that plot critical elements are ordered in A--->B-->C-->D sequence. It is not railroady for the most part, except some scripted sequences were you are completely surrounded and narratively its either fight and die or surrender and go along with it, of which there are 2 of it if i remember correctly. You forcing the player to come back to the quest giver, not as a suggestion, but as a forced way to make sure the player cant come back to explore later on, felt awful, i swear to god, if you had done this in a pnp session i would have thrown a d20 at your face.

Perkel

Arcane
Trap changes you sex and makes you black jew also makes a save file and deletes all other save files.

This is the reason why you shouldn't have save system in game and rely only on one save which updates every few seconds or action. Because it takes out all the fun you can design.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This is the reason why you shouldn't have save system in game and rely only on one save which updates every few seconds or action. Because it takes out all the fun you can design.
Fun times if it gets corrupted, or new patch introduces issues.

Besides the saves couldn't be on the player's machine otherwise they could just back it up. That kind of effort is p. futile.

Perkel

Arcane
Fun times if it gets corrupted, or new patch introduces issues.

Besides the saves couldn't be on the player's machine otherwise they could just back it up. That kind of effort is p. futile.

Not if you make it part of game files and at the same time being gibberish protected by 256bit encryption.

:discohitler:

SniperHF

Arcane
They all elicit a reload, so i dont know what your point was. You should have gone with money, by destroying one of his items or requiring a hefty sum to heal said wound. Best way to hurt the player without forcing him to reload.

My IG Fighter with Lore appreciated it. Walking right through and losing a bit of HP was NBD once you have the Armor and full defense skills.

Wait, complaining about a reloading being elicited in AoD? :hahyou:

Lhynn

Arcane

My IG Fighter with Lore appreciated it. Walking right through and losing a bit of HP was NBD once you have the Armor and full defense skills.

Wait, complaining about a reloading being elicited in AoD? :hahyou:
Nope, just about the situation itself.
That was aod at its worse tbh. Its a great game to be sure. but as i said, sometimes i wanted to punch vd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom