Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Poncefinder: Cuckmaker was built on the Disunity engine. Thus, it can never be considered a masterpiece.

Cuphead is a masterpiece of art and design. :) Though I'm too old for it, and I doubt it has anything for you either.

The only people who think diablo is a "masterpiece" are people who don't realize it was just popamoleification of the roguelike genre.

Lil considers roguelikes trash. What elevates Diablo is not just the simple-and-solid game mechanics but also the loot pacing, the game world and user interface art style, the sound design, the music, the voice acting, the suitable character writing, the setting, the simple low-key plot. As 1eyedking declared, it is art. Sure, Diablo 2 improved on the mechanics (while also sacrificing single player-oriented gameplay) but it lost major points in art style (rarely do sequels get uglier but this one did) and atmosphere/plot (it's an epic everything-and-the-kitchen-sink save-the-world adventure).

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Shit, judging by some of the titles mentioned here half the codex is hundred years old or something
And what makes you believe that? Many here weren't even born back when their favorite games were first released. Not everyone plays only their favorites from their childhood and what the market deems cool to play at the moment.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Shit, judging by some of the titles mentioned here half the codex is hundred years old or something
And what makes you believe that? Many here weren't even born back when their favorite games were first released. Not everyone plays only their favorites from their childhood and what the market deems cool to play at the moment.

Ok zoomer

You say that like it’s a bad thing. My peers have good taste.

Some childhood games get old fast. The ones that don’t have earned the title masterpiece.

Barney Miller is the same way among old TV shows, BTW.

2600 Adventure is like a programming haiku.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Better a monocled zoomer than a nostalgic old-fart who can only play the games he grew up with, that's all I'm saying.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.

Meh, I've said that on my blog many times in defense of Troika's trio. However, you got me wrong. Masterpieces can have minor flaws. I even repeated myself and I'm doing it again for you: we're talking about games that approach flawless victories.

Also, you dare call Jagged Alliance 2 a pebble? Jagged Alliance 2 is an ambitious masterpiece that makes Troika's games look rank-amateurish.

Irata

Scholar
I don't think you can call something a masterpiece unless it survives its contemporary audience. Plenty of masterpieces were overlooked during their time and plenty of people who were considered a timeless artist have been forgotten.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
but it lost major points in art style (rarely do sequels get uglier but this one did)

Not really.

Here is Diablo:

diablo1.jpg

And here is Diablo 2:

2a.jpg

72.jpg

40.jpg

Plus, Diablo 2's UI is one of the best in the genre:

immortal%2Bking.jpg

Waterd

Augur
None are masterpieces, RPG are such weak genere.
the closest are Darksun shattered lands and Battle brothers tough. Maybe knights of the chalice. And the fact I consider those the closest speaks more loudly of what i think of the RPG game quality in general than those being masterpieces at all.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
the closest are Darksun shattered lands and Battle brothers ... Maybe knights of the chalice. And the fact I consider those the closest speaks more loudly of what i think of the RPG game quality in general

Repeat after me:

"Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Battle Brothers and KotC are closer to being masterpieces than Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout and Deus Ex. The former also have higher RPG game quality".

= idiot detected.

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
I've not played deus ex, and I'm pretty sure I would detest it as it's everything I hate about gaming., but I did play fallout and jagged alliance 2. Fallout is okeyish for hte first third of the game then it becomes close to unplayable. Jagged alliances 2, I tried to like it because it get such good reputationa as a good tactical game and I tried and tried, and i find the mechanics terrible, I mean as a tactical game is even worse than Xcom and that is hard to pull off and still call a game playable.
JA2 is one of those games that tries more to be realistic than to actually have good mechanics. That is actually a common tragedy of rpg games.
When an RPG tries to be somewhat realistic for what i expect from a game, it generally autodestroys it's playability.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Better a monocled zoomer than a nostalgic old-fart who can only play the games he grew up with, that's all I'm saying.

Only? Who's saying that?

Let the good times roll. The Zoomer and the Xer should be friends.

Waterd

Augur
Ih fact actually the best "RPG" game I can think off is gloomhaven, which is an board "rpg" kind of game. Exactly because the designers were so constrained by tabletop that instead of going for realism went for good gameplay. I still don't consider Gloomhaven a masterpieces because it has too many problems imo.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've not played deus ex, and I'm pretty sure I would detest it

Fallout is okeyish for hte first third of the game then it becomes close to unplayable.

Jagged alliances 2 ... i find the mechanics terrible, I mean as a tactical game is even worse than Xcom and that is hard to pull off and still call a game playable.

Into the iggy bin you go.

Waterd

Augur
Basically to me a Masterpiece RPG should also be great as a strategy game. And no RPG is great as a strategy game. And if the game is not great as a strategy game, why even have a game? Just make a movie or something.

I feel Darksun shattered lands/Knights of the chalice and SPECIALL battle brothers really try to be a good strategy game and it succeds in many areas, but on the whole they end failing. But that is the reason i named those 3 because they are the 3 rpgs that more closely resemble a strategy game, while still perserving the RPG qualities.

I coudl name for example Fire emblem series or final fantasy tactics which are actually better (though still quite flawed) as a strategy games, but are "barely" rpgs, more like tactical games with a story.

Or be even more ridiculous and call Heroes of might and magic series which are actually good strategy games, but they are nothing of RPG.

I hope before I die an RPG that is also a great strategy game is ever created. So far not close enough.

I have some hope that Knight of the chalice 2 engine will produce something like that, but I got dissapointed too many times to believe.

Last edited:

flabbyjack

Arcane
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but The Void.

hell, it's so majestic and arcane I can't even find any imgur-hosted screenshots at the moment

I know your ADHD ass won't bother to look it up, especially without screens posted in the thread. Oh well you're loss. Amazing piece of art you're missing out on.

EDIT: Just heard it was made by the makers of Pathologic. OK here you go you bastids

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
- Fallout (PC)
- Deus Ex (PC)
- Jagged Alliance 2 (PC)
- Warband (PC)
- Diablo (PC)
- Darklands (PC)
- Wasteland (C=64)
- Captive (Amiga)
- Hired Guns (Amiga)
- Dungeon Master (Atari ST)
Eh, whatever. I'm here and I'm not going to argue with the above. Really appreciate the inclusion of Wasteland as dammit, it was perfect. But I'll add my thoughts:
- Ultima IV (C64) - it was a complete, perfect game, but on the other hand, I doubt anyone today would play it from start to finish, and it was complete bullshit having an open world RPG where the game punished you for stealing shit even when nobody was there. The shopkeep is blind but I get punished for stealing their reagents!! Who programmed this garbage?
- Ultima Underworld (PC) - definitely was on another level. Lots of folks mentioned it, and I concur.
- Wizardry VII (PC) - can't deny it. It really did something. On the other hand, I don't know - laser guns, ninjas, bishops and rat people? What was that Bradley guy smoking? Consistency much?!
- Planescape: Torment (PC) - you can't fight the current. Don't think it's a classic? Even if you are correct you are discredited by claiming it's not. Welcome to the real world! Stand there on principle and stand alone, or accept its a masterpiece and get monetized clicks or whatever people get on this site. The choice is up to you.
- Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown - Now hear me out... eh, forget it. I'll agree I can't win this one.
- Fallout 2, Fallout NV, Ultima V - VII, Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, Dragon Wars, Might and Magic III, Pools of Radiance - not just rattling off good games but they do seem to meet the criteria of unflawed.
- Phantasie I (C64) - come on, just throw me a bone. This game was very fun and had a lot of innovation but I feel old just typing the name of that game. Few if any flaws.

Desiderius

Patron
So I've got my 2,000 hrs (mostly AfK, but still) in on P:K and am ready for something new.

Modded ToEE?

Desiderius

Patron
Modded ToEE?

Temple+ is the way to go.

Have you played Jagged Alliance 2?

I've looked into it on your advice. May try it after ToEE. So is T+ just an enhancement of the base game? Should I play that before trying scenarios? Good guide for getting started?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom