Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indeed, masterpiece is differentiated from classics, flawed diamonds and "my favorites". We are trying to look at RPGs that approach flawless victories here. That I don't have Baldur's Gate or Troika's trio in there should have been a dead giveaway, since I hold them in high esteem and have vested interests in overrating them.

Okay, high bar.
As the self-elected representative of modern RPGs, the picks are:

>Dark Souls
>Dark Souls 3
And since you didn't specify CRPGs...
>Bloodborne

From Software is the only company in the last 20 years to fire on all cylinders. This reflects Western civilization teetering on a knife's edge.

call me crazy but i don't think a tide of overwhelmingly mediocre computer games is objective proof of the collapse of western civilization or whatever
You're a psychopath.

i don't know. seeing some cookie-cutter crpg on steam that went into early access that got abandoned after like a year or two due to the devs' lives being overtaken by adult responsibilities isn't a good citation for the collapse of western civilization or whatever

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
cool. can you please elaborate on why you think an endless tide of cookie-cutter crpgs is proof that the western world is going to collapse?

Deleted Member 22431

Mostly MAME and a couple of Neo Geo emulators.

Wasn't really fond of the Neo Geo selection for the most part. :\ Who are your favorite King of Fighters characters? It shouldn't be too much of a surprise to learn that the women's team was my favorite with King being my #1.
My God. Look at what happened to this site. I crossed a portal to another dimension and this is the ArcadeCodex. I wanna go home.

Deleted Member 22431

cool. can you please elaborate on why you think an endless tide of cookie-cutter crpgs is proof that the western world is going to collapse?
Because it is a part of a broader pattern of decline in every cultural segment.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Because it is a part of a broader pattern of decline in every cultural segment.

sure. i agree that certain parts of propagandized masscult in media like call of duty is bad and how russians are shown as soulless monsters in them

Deleted Member 22431

How many sentences does Lilura endure before becoming whiny and ignoring you?
Not even one it seems.
On the one hand, she has "my lady" suckers like Roguey and me slobbering over every little thing she does, intentionally or not; on the other, she has to deal with a horde of angry people calling her names and defending decline shit. It must be confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

overly excitable young man

Not even one it seems.
On the other hand, she has "my lady" suckers like Roguey and me slobbering over every little thing she does, intentionally or not; on the other hand, she has to deal with a horde of angry people calling her names and defending decline shit. It must be confusing.
She has the right ideas. Her autism sadly does make it very hard for her to articulate them without appearing like a massive cunt.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
The 6th letter of every 6th Kotaku article dedicated to RPGs is "G" -- the 6th letter of the alphabet. It's a clear message inadvertently trickling down from higher dimensions.
The fractal pattern is clear:

3D world = where we live = base reality
>dimensions below the 3rd are constituent parts
>dimensions above are what we are a constituent part of
>information freely travels from below, but not so easily from above (think thermodynamics -- heat rises/transfers from hot to cold)
>therefore, information about dimensions above requires special circusmtances (think air conditioners or refrigerators that game the thermodynamic system)

Video game world = sans-dimensional, because it's recorded as data = a metaphor for the super and sub realities that make up our 3D world
>the super-dimensional aspect of data can trickle down through special means

Journalism world = a reflection of the things happening in our own world, and therefore a siphon
>much like sifting through dirt at the bottom of the stream (stream = flow of the universe) can yield gold, so can sifting through data yield nuggets of special data
>articles unwittingly capture "gold" bits of data about the topics they're written on
>the gold here is the first sentence of this whole explanation

It's not hard man. Think about it.

Deleted Member 22431

Tags: crusade against the infidels; filling up my Iggy bin; flawless victories; jagged alliance 2 is goat; masterpieces; monocles and tophats; objectivity

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Not even one it seems.
On the other hand, she has "my lady" suckers like Roguey and me slobbering over every little thing she does, intentionally or not; on the other hand, she has to deal with a horde of angry people calling her names and defending decline shit. It must be confusing.
She has the right ideas. Her autism sadly does make it very hard for her to articulate them without appearing like a massive cunt.

i almost had a stroke when i saw her over-reacting at people saying JA 2 isn't the greatest crpg of all time. sure, JA 2 is a great tactical crpg, but i'm not gonna sweat over people who don't think its fantastic

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
The 6th letter of every Kotaku 6th article dedicated to RPGs is "G" -- the 6th letter of the alphabet. It's a clear message inadvertently trickling down from higher dimensions.
The fractal pattern is clear:

3D world = where we live = base reality
>dimensions below the 3rd are constituent parts
>dimensions above are what we are a constituent part of
>information freely travels from below, but not so easily from above (think thermodynamics -- heat rises/transfers from hot to cold)
>therefore, information about dimensions above requires special circusmtances (think air conditioners or refrigerators that game the thermodynamic system)

Video game world = sans-dimensional, because it's recorded as data = a metaphor for the super and sub realities that make up our 3D world
>the super-dimensional aspect of data can trickle down through special means

Journalism world = a reflection of the things happening in our own world, and therefore a siphon
>much like sifting through dirt at the bottom of the stream (stream = flow of the universe) can yield gold, so can sifting through data yield nuggets of special data
>articles unwittingly capture "gold" bits of data about the topics they're written on
>the gold here is the first sentence of this whole explanation

It's not hard man. Think about it.

i must respectfully disagree with the fact that we live in the matrix my fine man

Farewell young Prince into the night

In my opinion, the only crpg that fits my concept of what a "masterpiece" should be, without being reliant on community patches or open-source engine reimplementation, is Fallout 1. It's a product of a simpler time, where computer game creation was still seen as an expression of oneself, as opposed to large companies calculating market trends for maximum profit. Development teams were smaller, less hierarchical and had to cut through fewer strands of red tape to produce their vision.

I wasn't an easy convert - my "deck" was stacked against Fallout 1 from the get-go. I had a dislike for the Fallout universe, having been colored by Bethesda's and Obsidian's interpretations: games with a mishmashed juxtaposition of post-apocalyptic horror and lurid humor, wrapped in an aging and bug-ridden engine.

At some point, I stumbled upon the Codex's list of top 70 crpgs (whoops). I decided to tackle a couple of the highest rated ones I had never played. I completed a play-through of Planescape: Torment and was disappointed. Then I tried Fallout 1 and quit in mere minutes after fiddling around - I didn't even make it out of the initial rat cave. The pip-boy imagery reminded that, while this obviously wasn't FO3 or NV, it was still cut from the same vein. Why would I want to play another Fallout game? So I avoided it and moved on to other games more deserving of my attention, Codex be damned!

A year later, I decided to give Fallout 1 another chance. The moment that caught my attention was when I entered Shady Sands with my gun unholstered. The guard accosted me and ordered that I put my weapon away. It was a small moment, but instantly warmed me to the experience. From that moment on I was struck by how this concise, isometric (errr..."cavalier oblique") game from the late 90's made me feel like I was THE Vault Dweller, surviving in the wastes of post-apocalyptic California.

There's something magical about Fallout 1. It's evident that the people who crafted it loved and cared about the game. It oozes personality; the interface, dialogue, animations, sound design, and area design all work in concert to create an unparalleled sense of dread, loneliness and desperation. It isn't perfect (of course), but I have yet to play a crpg that offers a higher-quality, holistic package.

Fallout 1 isn't my favorite crpg, but I consider it to be the only masterpiece I have played so far.

...at least until Beamdog enhances it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
only 18 pages about abject subjectivity, come on, you can do much more

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
okay. okay: wasteland 1. that's my take for one of the best CRPGS of all time, bar-none

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7 took 25 years for somebody to match.

2001 (Wizardry 8) - 1992 (Wizardry 7) = 9 years.

On the other hand, Jagged Alliance 2 (1999) has indisputably occupied god-tier alone for 20 years.
Meh Might and Magic 6 is far superior to your "games",plebs :smug:.

that reminds me.. does GreyFace actually post here? the work he's done for might and magic 6-8 is amazing

Wizardry 7 took 25 years for somebody to match.

2001 (Wizardry 8) - 1992 (Wizardry 7) = 9 years.

On the other hand, Jagged Alliance 2 (1999) has indisputably occupied god-tier alone for 20 years.

pls. all hyperbole aside, grimoire fills the niche as a wizardry 6-7 alike extremely well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom