Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Isometric is only superior is if it's actually good (and no, RTwP does not make it bad). Otherwise quick blobber combat is superior.

Isometric is always superior in >=API/Renaissance era.

Extreme example to illustrate point: Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor and Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader are more playable than Wizardry 8.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Extreme example to illustrate point: Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor and Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader are more playable than Wizardry 8.

Wizardry 8 has slow as **** animations.

Might & Magic VI is a good first person game...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I figure snes and genesis infodumps would probably bring more traffic. Soy Boys and Bug men would flock to the blog.
Some time ago Lilura decided that it'd be better to narrow the focus of her blog rather than be more general purpose. Though I don't see why she couldn't start a sister site. Lilura2? :M

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Some time ago Lilura decided that it'd be better to narrow the focus of her blog rather than be more general purpose. Though I don't see why she couldn't start a sister site. Lilura2? :M

Au contraire. Once a firm foothold has been established, one can branch out without doing harm. See, rather than "a following" (faggotry) I've got organic keyword traction on Google and other SEs due to authority. So what's happening is, the public aren't going to my site because "Lilura!", they're ending up on my site because King Content. Ergo, I can diversify without being penalized.

Take someone who has a following. They have that following because people expect something from them next. If they changed their content to something else, say Goodbye to that following. I don't have this issue.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Autism,or do you think a person will go trough such lengths of knowledge accumulation of 5 old games without being an autistic?

Aren't we all autistic here?

x77kDZb.png

Thunar

Educated
Isometric is only superior is if it's actually good (and no, RTwP does not make it bad). Otherwise quick blobber combat is superior.

Isometric is always superior in >=API/Renaissance era.

We can all agree that that's bullshit right? Pool of radiance's UI is terrible. Lionheart's probably a janky mess considering its development, but I couldn't say, I haven't played it. It came out 2 years after Wiz 8 though, so not sure that's even a fair comparison.
Wiz 8 is like anything you'd ever want from a modern blobber, so I'm not even sure what this comment is supposed to mean.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Pool of radiance's UI is terrible.

I've published an analysis of its UI (1,500 words, 16 screencaps). So yeah, don't really need you to tell me anything about its UI.

Wiz 8 is like anything you'd ever want from a modern blobber, so I'm not even sure what this comment is supposed to mean.

It means exactly what it says it means.

Mortmal

Arcane
Again Lilura is a candid amateur of rpgs,not a true connoisseur, if i am speaking of the amiga era alone, its criminal not to mention Fate gates of dawn, the level of autism in this blobber is not even matched by cleve's grimoire. I'd mention black crypt too a true heir to dungeon master, eye of the beholder 1-2 , Oh and ultima 6 too. Then on PC ultima underworld was THE masterpiece ending the amiga era , with ultima 7 too.
Amiga era still i remember drakkkhen , world of legend.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's exactly the opposite: BaK is on whole another level than BG.

BaK has shit combat and ultra-basic rules. Game set match.

Again Lilura is a candid amateur of rpgs,not a true connoisseur, if i am speaking of the amiga era alone, its criminal not to mention Fate gates of dawn, the level of autism in this blobber is not even matched by cleve's grimoire. I'd mention black crypt too a true heir to dungeon master, eye of the beholder 1-2 , Oh and ultima 6 too. Then on PC ultima underworld was THE masterpiece ending the amiga era , with ultima 7 too.
Amiga era still i remember drakkkhen , world of legend.

As proven in my write-up, I'm no amateur of the Amiga. I could smash extant Amiga commentary into pieces if I wanted to go on a warpath for Amiga SEO.

Thunar

Educated
Friendly reminder that there's a fully playable version of ultima underworld running under unity with mouselook and wasd movement that still puts many rpgs to shame.

Mortmal

Arcane
There's lot more to say about that era, i was surprised even aweigh never even tried fate gates of dawn either and yet he's truly a fan of blobbers. Was a big era of creativity and some of the weirdest games ever, many of them could be considered masterpieces, kind of gameplay we wont see ever again.Who else remember bloodwhych ? A coop dungeon master. They went direcly to pc and missed the Superior gaming experience of that era it was amiga , snes and genesis.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Friendly reminder that there's a fully playable version of ultima underworld running under unity with mouselook and wasd movement that still puts many rpgs to shame.

Playing a classic under Unity is high treason.

There's lot more to say about that era, i was surprised even aweigh never even tried fate gates of dawn either and yet he's truly a fan of blobbers. Was a big era of creativity and some of the weirdest games ever, many of them could be considered masterpieces, kind of gameplay we wont see ever again.Who else remember bloodwhych ? A coop dungeon master.

Thing is, RPGs never exhibited the best examples of Amiga supremacy. SHMUPS and hack n slash did. That's why I don't sink my teeth into RPGs of that era. Most RPG devs didn't understand Amiga custom chips.

It's a sick joke looking at what Goldbox is, and what it could have been. Ultima and Wizardry, too.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Playing a classic under Unity is high treason.

There's lot more to say about that era, i was surprised even aweigh never even tried fate gates of dawn either and yet he's truly a fan of blobbers. Was a big era of creativity and some of the weirdest games ever, many of them could be considered masterpieces, kind of gameplay we wont see ever again.Who else remember bloodwhych ? A coop dungeon master.

Thing is, RPGs never exhibited the best examples of Amiga supremacy. SHMUPS and hack n slash did. That's why I don't sink my teeth into RPGs of that era. Most RPG devs didn't understand Amiga custom chips.

It's a sick joke looking at what Goldbox is, and what it could have been. Ultima and Wizardry, too.
Yes goldbox arent the best exemple, they are poor effort ports, no animation, no use of superior sound chips. Still everything else ,till ultima 6 or eye of the beholder 2, was Superior on amiga, at a much lower price . I dont know if any rpg really used amiga potential , certainly not the like of TEAM 17 , Bitmap Brothers or bullfrog.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yes goldbox arent the best exemple, they are poor effort ports, no animation, no use of superior sound chips.

Also color palette reduction, no hardware scrolling, no copper effects. Nothing slick about them: they are clunky and janky as all-fuck.

Still everything else ,till uliima 6 or eye of the beholder 2, was Superior on amiga,. I dont know if any rpg really used amiga potential , certainly not the like of TEAM 17 , Bitmap Brothers or bullfrog.

No RPG came close to employing Amiga hardware potential. 1990 Amiga could have hosted something that evoked - note: evoked - Diablo (using 1987 hardware). Diablo came out in 1996.

Also, Bitmap Bros. mostly buffed ST ports (if at all). And Team 17 were generic turd-polishers (though at least their games targeted the chipset). For me, the stuff with Amiga soul came from the likes of Relfections Interactive, Cope-Com, Kaiko, Ordilogic, Art & Magic, Thalion, Bloodhouse and Factor 5.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes goldbox arent the best exemple, they are poor effort ports, no animation, no use of superior sound chips.

Also color palette reduction, no hardware scrolling, no copper effects. Nothing slick about them: they are clunky and janky as all-fuck.

Still everything else ,till uliima 6 or eye of the beholder 2, was Superior on amiga,. I dont know if any rpg really used amiga potential , certainly not the like of TEAM 17 , Bitmap Brothers or bullfrog.

No RPG came close to employing Amiga hardware potential. 1990 Amiga could have hosted something that evoked - note: evoked - Diablo (using 1987 hardware). Diablo came out in 1996.

Also, Bitmap Bros. mostly buffed ST ports (if at all). And Team 17 were generic turd-polishers (though at least their games targeted the chipset). For me, the stuff with Amiga soul came from the likes of Relfections Interactive, Cope-Com, Kaiko, Ordilogic, Art & Magic, Thalion, Bloodhouse and Factor 5.
Add cinemaware , ah wings, it came from the desert, lankhor (maupiti island) and Psygnosis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom