Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Nirvash

Liturgist
But going 0 to 6 is like to play one massive single game.

The proper order is not chronological, but how they were released: 1-2-0- 3 / 6.
It's just not the same learning Majima's backstory before duking it out with him for 2 games.

Edit: Checked if I'm wrong, and I am. It should be 1 / 5 - 0 - 6. Fuck. I played it in wrong order myself.

By that metric you also need to play the ps2 yakuza 1-2.
0 and kiwami 1-2 legit retconned majima into a main character.

The most logical and proper order to play will always be the story one.

Yeah I'm going through Kiwami 2 at the moment after starting with 0. I really doubt I would have been that much into Kiwami 1 story if I didn't get to know these characters in 0 beforehand. And since Kiwami 1 in general is a lesser game than 0 I am not sure if I had gotten hooked enough to play through entire series, like I'm now determined to do. I hope combat doesn't get much worse though because right now it's worse with every installment for me. Bosses in YK1 were some tedious shit, especially the two red gang dudes. If I'd never have to mash A to get up again it would be too soon. Not liking Kiwami 2's new engine much, combat feels a lot clunkier but at least bosses aren't so tedious. And I heard Y3 has annoying combat which makes me wonder whether I shouldn't just rush through its story on Easy. The turned based one is the one I'm most looking forward to, as from what I've seen consensus seems to be that 0 has best combat out of brawler games and to me it seemed mediocre at best in that regard.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
After you play 0, kiwami is just nonsense.

No, i'm not gonna buy kiryu going to prison 10 years just because and no one visiting him ever.
No, i'm not gonna buy nishi go full darth vader like that.
No, i'm also not gonna buy majima going so full retard and so full tsundere for kiryu.
And let's not even talk about the dumb rushed many deaths.

We are like missing a yakuza 1/2, majima building his new persona, him and kiryu becoming rivalbuddies, nishi exposing some dark side for his sense of inferiority.
Hell, kiryu almost started his clan and we know shit about it.

Endemic

Arcane
If you played Yakuza 1 first, you'd be like "why did Kiryu go to jail for this random dude I know nothing about?", though.

Nishiki looked like a fun character in beginning of Yakuza 0 but by the end I was sick of him. That part where Kiryu was about to shoot a dude and Nishki stops him and starts crying his eyes out about what a horrible thing it is had me fucking cringing. Especially since Kiryu already shot a couple hundred dudes in that retarded car chase before. I do agree that his betrayal in Kiwami 1 didn't make much sense though. They tried to develop it with Nishiki losing his mind over his sister dying but I didn't buy it anyway. It was just derp.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Y0 is a massive retcon, but it made a lot of things make sense. It had to somehow be done to amend the nonsense in the first two games.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
Hello there good taste havers and J-game knowers! I'm shifting through my massive backlog and since Rean was playing a Yakuza game I want to do the same. What is the best game in the series to start with if you have a PS4 laying around gathering dust? Is there a best order to play these games in and will I get burnt out if I play them all at once? Feed me the Yakuza pill senpais.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Hello there good taste havers and J-game knowers! I'm shifting through my massive backlog and since Rean was playing a Yakuza game I want to do the same. What is the best game in the series to start with if you have a PS4 laying around gathering dust? Is there a best order to play these games in and will I get burnt out if I play them all at once? Feed me the Yakuza pill senpais.
There are two ways to play. In numerical order starting with 0 or in release order which I guess would start with kiwami 1 or the original Y1 if you want to play a ps2 game. I prefer starting with 0. Alternatively you could start with 7 since it has nothing to do with any of the other games. Personally I prefer numerical order.

There is no way I could play them all in order. I've played 0, Kiwami, and 7 in that order with at least a year or two in between. I tried to play kiwami 2 right after kiwami and I didn't like the switch to the dragon engine so I've dropped the series for now. That was about 2 years ago.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
There is no way I could play them all in order. I've played 0, Kiwami, and 7 in that order with at least a year or two in between. I tried to play kiwami 2 right after kiwami and I didn't like the switch to the dragon engine so I've dropped the series for now. That was about 2 years ago.
So doing a series run would probably not be a good idea? Do I miss out if I just go for the best games in the series and would that be confusing? Which would those be? Mucho arigato for helping me get into Yakuza.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So doing a series run would probably not be a good idea? Do I miss out if I just go for the best games in the series and would that be confusing? Which would those be? Mucho arigato for helping me get into Yakuza.
If you skip games you will probably be extremely confused. If you want to play the best ones just play 0 and 7 in either order. Go for 0 if you want a fun beat 'em up with RPG elements and 7 if you want a turned based jrpg with an interesting job system.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
If you skip games you will probably be extremely confused. If you want to play the best ones just play 0 and 7 in either order. Go for 0 if you want a fun beat 'em up with RPG elements and 7 if you want a turned based jrpg with an interesting job system.
That's very helpful. I will try to play them in order from zero then and I'll see how far I get. These long running Japanese game series can be so overwhelming and that has kept me away so far. Thanks again, penis-sama.

735A31323D0B19E02D2A134455B9417B81E503CF

What the fuck am I doing... :deathclaw:

quixotic

Learned
I’m in Part 3 of Yakuza 5 at the moment.
Jesus Christ I’ve heard people call this characters part a slog and they weren’t kidding.
I don’t hate it but it’s just too long for what it is. I feel like I’m starting to forget what happened in the main story. :negative:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Jesus Christ I’ve heard people call this characters part a slog and they weren’t kidding.
I don’t hate it but it’s just too long for what it is. I feel like I’m starting to forget what happened in the main story. :negative:

What's part 3? Saejima's mountain adventures I assume?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

What's part 3? Saejima's mountain adventures I assume?
The hunting was the worst part for the platinum trophy. When I was done I was glad it was over.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hunting starts out difficult, but by the end of it, you will have committed mass murder on animal life in general, but bears in particular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom