Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The more I read, the less likely I am to get these day 1. I was already annoyed by the fact that they hid two exclusive jobs behind DLC (even if they weren't amazing). There are jobs, game mods and more hidden behind monetary walls. For the first time in the series, I will probably wait for a sale if they I can't find it for a decent price. I'm not paying €70 for standard edition on top of their shithousery.

mushroomrain

Novice
I read that they tried doing the same shit in Y7, but then decided to only implement in in Japan. Someone pressured them enough and they added NG+ to the base edition in the West. Maybe we'll get lucky again, but this is worrying.

Modron

Arcane
AND the game is $70? They must have lost their goddamn minds. Scummy as hell. Glad I still have Lost Judgement, Ishin, and Yakuza 6 to play. This is probably going to have to wait for a good sale.
To be fair they priced all their previous games very generously and most came with all dlc included, I am not necessarily against throwing money at these guys but like you say I don't want to reward this behavior either. It seems fanatical has 13% off the two upcoming Like a Dragon games if that makes a difference for you.

Häyhä

Arbiter
We don't know yet if that's even true for the release, do we? Would seem like an odd thing to make people pay for, I mean realistically how many people even play NG+ in video games or would be willing to pay for it? Most people don't even finish them once (although Yakuza probably has higher % of people finishing them than most games).

Edit: This is what it says about the different editions.

Screenshot-2023-09-27-at-18-26-37-Like-a-Dragon-Infinite-Wealth.png

Edit 2: Pre-order bonuses are Tennis Ace and American Football Player Jobs and some crafting materials etc. crap.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
Ironically the Yakuza series finds itself in the same place as the Total War games do of late; my cup runneth over. They're releasing them relatively thick and fast but by and large they are the same game with a new story. Because of that, nobody is going to rush through the series back to back as that only results in burnout. Hence the compulsion to buy day 1 and rush through asap just isn't there, especially at these prices. You end up a backlog of RGG games you need to buy, but you always already have at least one you never got around to finishing. So yeah, I can wait thanks Sega. Pulling out staple series features and making them paid DLC just seals the deal, similar shit to what Sega/Atlus are pulling lately with DLC demons in SMT games and spinoffs, not supporting that shit, they can wait and ultimately receive less of my money as thanks.

Elttharion

Learned
Ironically the Yakuza series finds itself in the same place as the Total War games do of late; my cup runneth over. They're releasing them relatively thick and fast but by and large they are the same game with a new story. Because of that, nobody is going to rush through the series back to back as that only results in burnout. Hence the compulsion to buy day 1 and rush through asap just isn't there, especially at these prices. You end up a backlog of RGG games you need to buy, but you always already have at least one you never got around to finishing. So yeah, I can wait thanks Sega. Pulling out staple series features and making them paid DLC just seals the deal, similar shit to what Sega/Atlus are pulling lately with DLC demons in SMT games and spinoffs, not supporting that shit, they can wait and ultimately receive less of my money as thanks.
Same thing for me, by the time I am done with Ishin and Gaiden this one will be almost 50%. These are games I spend 100+ hours and they are releasing 3 of them in a year, I know they are good/great games but that is just too much, let the series breath a little, especially if you are charging a premium for the games. Sega was always a greddy publisher but they went full retard in the last few years.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Flood is here only because of the delayed localization of so many past RGG games. Gaiden will be shorter game than usual anyway.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
It seems fanatical has 13% off the two upcoming Like a Dragon games if that makes a difference for you.
Thanks for the tip on the discount. I'll be fine holding off these newest ones for a bit. As much as I loved 7, I'm still trying to catch up with what's already been released, including the PSP spinoffs. I try not to play more than one or two RGG Studio games a year, so as to avoid burnout.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm still looking forward to Gaiden more than Infinite Wealth.
Yeah, Kiryu was never the most interesting MC, Ichiban has more charisma. Doesn't matter, Adol was never too charismatic either. The games' core was always greater than the sum of their parts. Throughout the entire series, I never had a problem with Kiryu, aside from in 0 - because Majima was just twenty times more interesting in it.

Yakuza games were always about giving the player a thorough look into Japan and its underworld and that's what made them so interesting in the first place. I just can't see how a non-Japanese setting will ever fit the series, the series is quintessentially Japanese.

It all feels like a forced case of 'the new lead writers thought Hawaii would excite western audiences, so that's the setting now'.

Yakuza 3 already had a fairly similar setting to Hawaii and it's universally hated (and for the record, I actually like Y3 more than most here).

I don't know. I've read the plot and it's utter nonsense. Nothing about the setting shift makes sense.
Don't even get me started on moving away from the iconic Yakuza name, I've held that in for years.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just finished Judgment. Man, what a great game. I wasn't as interested in when I heard about it and since I don't have a console, I couldn't even try it out initially nyway. But damn, it's such a well-rounded RGG game with probably the best plot and combat in the franchise (up to its original release, at least). The more laid-back Yagami is a great change from the chivalrous Kiryu and shonen-y Ichiban. Plot doesn't have any contrived asspulls either like it usually is the case for the series.

Also the dating subquests were cool, maybe theonly game where the dating part is legitimately well done.

I think it will be my favorite after Yakuza 0 in the series.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Same. I've just finshed it the other day, so my memory is still fresh.
I have to agree, the plot is probably the most coherent one of all the Yakuzas.
But saying it does not have asspulls is kind of generous.

Plot doesn't have any contrived asspulls either like it usually is the case for the series.
Except for the erratic behaviour of Okubo-kun when he found the body in his truck that started the whole mess.

Or Ministry of Health paying 100 millions per dead Yakuza of all the possible options, while also having an access to army of bums, whom no one would have cared for going missing like that Red Nose guy.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, I meant that it doesn't have any really egregious ones.

Okubo's behaviour is so-so, in Japan's justice system I kind of get his motivations.

Caim

Arcane
guys they NEED to nickel and dime what were standard features because how else are they going to pay le ebin youtubers and e-celebs that appear in the game and/or voice "act"

Honestly I'm surprised that YongYea managed to make a career for himself as a voice actor given his speech patterns mimic that of Captain Kirk.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
It all feels like a forced case of 'the new lead writers thought Hawaii would excite western audiences, so that's the setting now'.
The Hawaii setting is a mistake and a huge turn off for me. There's tons of interesting Japanese locations they could have chosen from, not to mention east-asian settings. But they went with fucking Hawaii? It also means we're going to be saddled with it for at least a couple entries, because you know they're going to re-use those assets. What the fuck RGG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom