Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row 3 gameplay

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, plenty of people have no idea why their PCs don't run well, that's why they buy consoles. It's super-nice.

Anyway, I kind of like how the city gradually becomes filled with various wreckage left behind the player's activity, like crashed planes, sunken boats and wrecked chemical plants. Anyone try the game in co-op yet? Been wondering how that goes.

hoopy

Savant
My PC is optimized to the point that I've disabled specific device drivers from loading on startup. And if this is a problem with my PC, why is it that Skyrim runs well? Is Bethesda now famous for their technical brilliance? Yeah, their Gamebryo engine is the height of performance and optimization.

Multi-headed Cow

hoopy said:
I have a GTX 460 and I updated the drivers last week.

Skidrow indicates that their SR3 release is done, so there won't be a patch to fix the DLC problem. Which means the only way I can play the game is by buying a used 360 copy (pirated version is unplayable, a used copy is not possible on the PC, and I refuse to financially enable THQ by buying a new copy). I'll miss the inevitable Gentlemen of Steelport mod, but if it'll be anything like the overrated Gentlemen of the Row I won't be missing much.
Or just get it for the master race platform for $26.
http://cdkeyshere.com/saints-row-the-third-cd-key.html

hoopy

Savant
Multi-headed Cow said:
hoopy said:
I have a GTX 460 and I updated the drivers last week.

Skidrow indicates that their SR3 release is done, so there won't be a patch to fix the DLC problem. Which means the only way I can play the game is by buying a used 360 copy (pirated version is unplayable, a used copy is not possible on the PC, and I refuse to financially enable THQ by buying a new copy). I'll miss the inevitable Gentlemen of Steelport mod, but if it'll be anything like the overrated Gentlemen of the Row I won't be missing much.
Or just get it for the master race platform for $26.
http://cdkeyshere.com/saints-row-the-third-cd-key.html
I've already said many times I'm not going to enable THQ's buffoonery, and that the PC version runs like shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Because different engines load the system in different ways? One of the games might be using both cores fully while the other might not, and if one of the cores isn't working like it should, then obviously you get strange performance.

My PC conversely isn't optimized for shit and still I have a good stable framerate. So, beats me what you have going wrong, but seeing as we seem to run near-identical configs (except I have a quadcore) and the major difference is crack vs official with already questionable quality of the crack, it does raise some questions.

You mentioned that people complain about performance though, is this for official stuff or for the cracked one, or for both? I've mainly seen complaints about preorder DLC not working on Steam forums at least.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's a lot of complaints about performance on the steam/official forums, but it's mainly on AMD hardware. The developers already said they're looking into it.

P. lulzy if you consider it has an AMD logo on the intro screens. :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
hoopy said:
I've got an E8400

That explains. XBox360 has 3-core CPU and such games are more CPU dependent than anything

With all the raging here I decided to give it a try. The beginning is surprisingly good and is very GTA VC/SA like - meaning crazy retarded shit instead of GTA4's srs bzns.

Generally it runs fine maxed out with 2xAA here and I have quad core Phenom II and 260. Have slight FPS drops during the day in places where there are many shadows but nothing unplayable by far

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
hoopy said:
I've already said many times I'm not going to enable THQ's buffoonery, and that the PC version runs like shit.

You are also a pirate, so at least have the common decency to shut up. The game is running smoothly even on 8800 GT.

hoopy

Savant
MetalCraze said:
That explains. XBox360 has 3-core CPU and such games are more CPU dependent than anything
The E8400 meets the recommended requirements.

Haba said:
You are also a pirate, so at least have the common decency to shut up.
Are you illiterate or just defending THQ? I've explained many times now why I pirated the game.

Jaz

Educated
the new ati fix is out and it fixed my performance problems, though I'm still getting some input lag now and then.

zeitgeist

Magister
root said:
is there food to buy to recover health/taxis to fast-travel in steelport? haven't found any, but maybe that's just my incompetence
Nope, no food/drink/drugs, it's all been replaced by regenerating health.

MetalCraze said:
Generally it runs fine maxed out with 2xAA here and I have quad core Phenom II and 260. Have slight FPS drops during the day in places where there are many shadows but nothing unplayable by far

Core 2 E6700 and a 9600GT, yet the thing is running buttery smooth for me with a couple extra settings on.

It's not that the game is poorly optimized, it's that ATI is shit for running it. My computer's components are considered ancient history yet do just fine.

And apparently a patch just came out to solve the ATI problem.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
MetalCraze said:

Core 2 E6700 and a 9600GT, yet the thing is running buttery smooth for me with a couple extra settings on.
This is p. weird.

I got about the same processor (e6600), a 1GB 9800 GT and 4GB ram and the thing runs at 25~35 FPS outside, with some stuttering while driving with everything on low (Except textures on medium) and 2xAA/AF. What exactly is buttery smooth for you?

Excidium said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
MetalCraze said:

This is p. weird.

I got about the same processor (e6600), a 1GB 9800 GT and 4GB ram and the thing runs at 25~35 FPS outside, with some stuttering while driving with everything on low (Except textures on medium) and 2xAA/AF. What exactly is buttery smooth for you?

Buttery smooth means 30+ without hang ups, stutters, screen tears and the normal signs that you've pushed a bit too far. I do have my e6700 OC'd to 3.5, though.

Is it 60+? No, but I never expected to get that on my setup anyway. That I can play a good looking game without it turning into a slideshow is enough for me. It is leaps and bounds ahead of what GTA IV or SR2 were like when they came out. Or to be honest what SR2 is like now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The overclock might be it, this thing seems to rely a lot more on processor power than anything else.

Excidium said:
The overclock might be it, this thing seems to rely a lot more on processor power than anything else.

Yeah, the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and the E6700 were already pretty obsolete when I got them, but for their time they were also one of the easiest motherboard/CPU pairings for overclocking around. Took little time to do it (about 10 minutes) and has allowed me to squeeze a lot more gaming life out of my computer. Really, I'll probably just get a new video card and keep the rest for a few more years then upgrade when the I-5's and I-7's are themselves dirt cheap.

MetalCraze

Arcane
XBawks 720 will be announced the next year so expect to upgrade very soon if your core gaming is about consoles (obviously XBawks 720 won't have high-end hardware due to pricing so you'll be safe when buying one for another half of a decade.)

Multi-headed Cow

Don't think a new Xbox would launch next year bro. Halo 4 is supposed to be next year, wouldn't exactly think Microsoft would be putting a big franchise game on the 360 only to immediately release a new console. And I kinda doubt they'd want to release it for both 360 and 720, since they would want the most impressive looking shit they could to try to sell a new console.

hoopy said:
Skidrow indicates that their SR3 release is done, so there won't be a patch to fix the DLC problem.

Apparently there is, just not by them. It's out on the Bay right now. Just so everyone knows.

WhiteGamer

Educated
Is this game actually worth a purchase? The whole dildo hammer things, the over the top aspect of the game, coupled with the 10 day one DLC's really put me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom