Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
I'm only in for a $35 Kickstarter pledge plus a $25 addon using store credit I got from an AMD promotion. Certainly not enough to stop me from criticizing the game if I thought it was shit but it's not and that YouTube video Myobi linked perfectly illustrates why I hate the discourse surrounding Star Citizen.
The guy actually provides a fair, friendly and honest first experience review of the game.
That's great and provides a unique perspective but that's not what I'm taking issue with. The fact that this dude is complaining about what's in the game as if he knows despite seeing a fraction of a percent of it while simultaneously acknowledging that he hasn't "scratched the surface" less than ten seconds later is what I hate. Not to mention he seems to think he's prepared to compare it to Starfield now.

Simply don't be a cunt throwing out vague statements about a lack of content in the game then completely contradict yourself saying you don't know what the hell you're talking about ten seconds later. Is that too much to ask from a 'content creator' with 576,000 subscribers?
"unlimited time and unlimited money that Star Citizen is now fortunate enough to have"

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Show me any indication that Star Citizen's funding is running out or slowing down.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's not only the fact that it's been ten years—although that's quite a fact—but rather that the game's development could easily drag on for another ten years, or more.

If one decade is no problem at all in your mind due to the game's scope, then where is your limit? Fifteen years? Twenty? Thirty?

I'm reminded of a little conversation I had last week:

ss+(2022-06-18+at+04.56.32).png

:lol:

Dhaze

Cipher
Show me any indication that Star Citizen's funding is running out or slowing down.

I think that's not at all what he was trying to say.

You left out the fact that Freelancer released in a somewhat disappointing state and is regarded as one of the biggest missed opportunities for something better if only Chris Roberts had unlimited time and unlimited money that Star Citizen is now fortunate enough to have.

You'll never see me last in line to criticise rushed development; too great a number of games have suffered from too little time allowed for their development. But unlimited time combined with unlimited money rarely—if ever—augurs a healthy development cycle, and in fact I would argue that unlimited time is, overall, more damaging than overly-limited time.

From video games, to music and movies and books and every conceivable creative enterprise, I've seen too many projects fizzle into nothingness for an absence of deadline. Moreover, it is exceedingly easy to find projects for which too much money was a clear detriment to the final product's overall quality.

A number of Michael Moorcock's best stories were written almost at the last minute, under pressure from an ever-impending deadline. And the writing of the vast majority of Clark Ashton's Smith wondrous stories was spured by base financial imperatives (though I'm sure many would argue this was to the detriment of his poetry, which is a valid argument).

For unlimited time plus unlimited money to be a positive thing on any given project, it would need a director possessed of good, practical sense. Someone who would know when to say "Now is enough," so as to not let the project extend indefinitely in size and required time. Obviously—painfully obviously—Chris Roberts is not that kind of man.

ADL

Prophet
If one decade is no problem at all for you due to the game's scope, then where is your limit? Fifteen years? Twenty? Thirty?
I already answered this. Frankly I could give a fuck as long as they continue delivering playable builds that are delivering more and more of what they've promised. Eventually they're going to enable permanent persistence instead of wiping every 18-24 months and it will for all intents and purposes be a live game just as "released" as an ongoing service title like Path of Exile and Warframe (which is also considered a beta release after ten years).

You'll never see me last in line to criticise rushed development; too great a number of games have suffered from too little time allowed for their development. But unlimited time combined with unlimited money rarely—if ever—augurs a healthy development cycle, and in fact I would argue that unlimited time is, overall, more damaging than overly-limited time.
I can appreciate this as a general sentiment but they've been delivering so I don't think it applies here. A lot of the supposed feature creep people are complaining about are things Chris Roberts talked about doing or wanting to do in interviews back in 2011-2012 such as the medical gameplay in relation to death of a spaceman. If I'm right and the game does some sort of soft-launch with 4-5 completed star systems in the game with great server and client performance as they're on track to address in a significant way this year... Would Star Citizen's development be considered all that bad in retrospect when you take a look at what they've accomplished since 2015? I sincerely don't think so.

Frankly we're a small handful of client performance and network optimizations away from the game being completely enjoyable. Speaking as someone who plays a lot of this game, it feels really damn close.

Also JamesDixon you rate me butthurt but I'm willing to bet that you're the one hurting right now after seeing that chart. Seethe and mald harder nerd. Post hairline.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If one decade is no problem at all for you due to the game's scope, then where is your limit? Fifteen years? Twenty? Thirty?
I already answered this. Frankly I could give a fuck as long as they continue delivering playable builds that are delivering more and more of what they've promised. Eventually they're going to enable permanent persistence instead of wiping every 18-24 months and it will for all intents and purposes be a live game just as "released" as an ongoing service title like Path of Exile and Warframe (which is also considered a beta release after ten years).

I can appreciate this as a general sentiment but they've been delivering so I don't think it applies here. A lot of the supposed feature creep people are complaining about are things Chris Roberts talked about doing or wanting to do in interviews back in 2011-2012 such as the medical gameplay in relation to death of a spaceman. If I'm right and the game does some sort of soft-launch with 4-5 completed star systems in the game with great server and client performance as they're on track to address in a significant way this year... Would Star Citizen's development be considered all that bad in retrospect when you take a look at what they've accomplished since 2015? I sincerely don't think so.

Frankly we're a small handful of client performance and network optimizations away from the game being completely enjoyable. Speaking as someone who plays a lot of this game, it feels really damn close.

Also JamesDixon you rate me butthurt but I'm willing to bet that you're the one hurting right now after seeing that chart. Seethe and mald harder nerd. Post hairline.

You fucking Mensa failure why the fuck would I be butthurt over the money Roberts is scamming from faggot simps like you? Are you fucking stupid or what? Never mind, you support Chrissie Roberts so you definitely are so fucking stupid. You're at Mexi-Pad the Fence Fairy's level of stupidity.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
lhLspMi.png

"i-i-i got this by making fun of an admin"
cope

The only one coping here is you retard. We've seen pages and pages of you defending fair Chrissie Roberts' honor and suck his cock so hard that you've gone to felching with his wife to swap his cum.

Oh I was a dumbfuck for talking to admin, but you're the supreme retarded dumbfuck cumdumster in this conversation.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
That's great and provides a unique perspective but that's not what I'm taking issue with. The fact that this dude is complaining about what's in the game as if he knows despite seeing a fraction of a percent of it while simultaneously acknowledging that he hasn't "scratched the surface" less than ten seconds later is what I hate. Not to mention he seems to think he's prepared to compare it to Starfield now.

Simply don't be a cunt throwing out vague statements about a lack of content in the game then completely contradict yourself saying you don't know what the hell you're talking about ten seconds later. Is that too much to ask from a 'content creator' with 576,000 subscribers?
... long story short, you are upset with the guy, because your English interpretation is shit? Don’t worry dude, I’m Portuguese, but I believe I might be able to explain it to you.

“For something that has been worked for 10 years it feels like it should be more here? By this point, maybe?”

“I feel like I haven’t scratched the surface of this thing”

First off, both things are not mutually exclusive, as quantity is sort of subjective, as in, it’s not that much content considering that the game has been in development for 10 years, yet it’s enough content where 2 hours of gameplay isn’t enough to explore much of it, there is no contradiction.

Secondly, “it feels like”, especially when in the form of a question, imply uncertainty, translating that into “as if he knows” it’s quite a fucking retarded stretch.

Lastly, his fucking right about it, according to CiG itself, by now there should be way more content than what you have.

Short story short, ironically, you are just butthurt, because a dude with a big viewer base made a review that isn’t “positive enough” for the likes of you.

The fact that you don't know the meaning of "unlimited" explains why you are upset with the "cunt youtuber".

lhLspMi.png

"i-i-i got this by making fun of an admin"
cope

My dude... you got your own profile set to private, you should just keep quiet =P

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I don't understand the obsession with the official V1 Final Ultimate Release. The idea is to continue developing the game... forever basically, as far as I can tell, while CIG is in business. I wouldn't expect there to be a fundamental difference between the final beta patch and a full release. That's not the way these kind of games work. Maybe there will be no wipes after "release", but these are rare enough already.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I don't understand the obsession with the official V1 Final Ultimate Release. The idea is to continue developing the game... forever basically, as far as I can tell, while CIG is in business. I wouldn't expect there to be a fundamental difference between the final beta patch and a full release. That's not the way these kind of games work. Maybe there will be no wipes after "release", but these are rare enough already.

This game isn't even into alpha stage yet and it's been a fucking decade. You guys are a laugh riot at the extent you will defend the fraud Chrissie Roberts.

Dhaze

Cipher
I can appreciate this as a general sentiment but they've been delivering so I don't think it applies here.

They're delivering, yes; updates to an alpha. And the game—the full game—was supposed to be delivered eight years ago.

I used to be a stonemason. If someone hired me to build a wall enclosure, and I took payment upfront and said to them "Okay, I'll need three weeks to do that," but two years down the line the wall still isn't raised and I'm barely laying a couple of stones every month or so, I'd be sued. If someone hired me to carve an epitaph onto their mother's tombstone, but three years later only the first five leters are there while the rest is not even etched into the marble, I'd be sued.

Only Star Citizen is a much more dire case, because they're still getting money—and an obscene amount, at that.

If I'm right and the game does some sort of soft-launch with 4-5 completed star systems in the game with great server and client performance as they're on track to address in a significant way this year... Would Star Citizen's development be considered all that bad in retrospect when you take a look at what they've accomplished since 2015? I sincerely don't think so.

To the first sentence: yes, it would be considered all that bad. To the second sentence: speaking as someone who doesn't play this game, it feels really damn far.

I'm not being facetious here, nor antagonistic. But every six months or so, a certain manner of what could be called morbid curiosity pushes me to watch a few long gameplay videos of Star Citizen (most recently on a channel titled LevelCapGaming). And I've been seeing the exact same things for years.

– Players wandering around mostly empty spaces for rather long stretches of time, with nothing happening
– Players trying to carry a box or some such without tripping over the terrain
– Dropped items that glitch through the floor, again and again and again and yet again
– Broken physics
– Bland aesthetics (admittedly this one is purely subjective)
– Friendly or neutral NPCs who just stay there, doing nothing in a lifeless environment
– Hostile NPCs who more often than not pose no threat whatsoever (this is one is atrocious; time and again I've seen a hostile NPC, weapon raised, standing not five feet away from a player, looking straight at him... yet not shooting nor even moving)
– Etc, etc...

I think you might be too tangled in it. When you're deep in something, submerged into its every minutia, it's disturbingly easy to see the most minuscule change as something of cyclopean proportions. I mentionned Sui Generis/Exanima in my first post in this thread, and at one point its players were super excited because the last update made it so that they didn't trip so easily when walking over a plank or item lying on the floor. But looking at it from the outside all one could think was, "What momentous progress for a beta version eight years into its development."

Doubtlessly this will have nil impact on the game, on its development and financial or pseudo-artistic success, but as someone with a passing interest for the idea of a space-sim / space-faring game, I look at Star Citizen today and see what I saw five or six years ago: a glorified tech demo, only one that becomes a bit prettier over time. Though as evidenced by many videos I've seen, a group of friend can have great fun in this game, that much is true; but a group of friend can have great fun with a pebble, so it's not the effulgent praise some think it is.

If you love it, more power to you. Really. And who cares what those who don't pay and play might think—for verily we are inconsequential. At this point Star Citizen is mostly insulated from everything and everyone non-Star Citizen. But ten years of development and half a billion of freedom money for what's currently there? Yeesh.

Codex Year of the Donut
My favorite part of playing Star citizen was looking at the website and trying to figure out how to buy the game. It was like buying into a MLM scam.

ADL

Prophet
I don't understand
A completely normal phenomenon.
He's right though. What's the obsession with the v1.0? They could announce that they're no longer wiping progression in the next year or two and it'd be just as much of a live service as any other game on the market. It's not 1983 anymore. This isn't a one-and-done product where they need to mail you installation discs to give you more stuff. They've been doing quarterly digital updates for the last four and a half years and it's worked out really well. Their pre-alpha is attracting 2,000 new players a day and their daily active user count hovers around EVE Online's. Probably more in reality since people aren't logging on alts in Star Citizen.
I'm not being facetious here, nor antagonistic. But every six months or so, a certain manner of what could be called morbid curiosity pushes me to watch a few long gameplay videos of Star Citizen (most recently on a channel titled LevelCapGaming). And I've been seeing the exact same things for years.

– Players wandering around mostly empty spaces for rather long stretches of time, with nothing happening
– Players trying to carry a box or some such without tripping over the terrain
– Dropped items that glitch through the floor, again and again and again and yet again
– Broken physics
– Bland aesthetics (admittedly this one is purely subjective)
– Friendly or neutral NPCs who just stay there, doing nothing in a lifeless environment
– Hostile NPCs who more often than not pose no threat whatsoever (this is one is atrocious; time and again I've seen a hostile NPC, weapon raised, standing not five feet away from a player, looking straight at him... yet not shooting nor even moving)
– Etc, etc...
Neither am I but you really can chalk all that down to broken servers. I said this earlier but $35 spent isn't enough for me to lie about it but a lot of this really is unfair and unwarranted critique. When you find a server that isn't broken, which used to be far more common prior to 3.17 (current patch cycle) admittedly, it's wonderful. Given the direct client performance to server performance relationship the game appears to have, I'm extremely curious how much 3.18's Gen12 implementation will fix things so you don't have to be lucky to get a working game anymore. It's already improved by a significant margin. I'd say I get working servers 70% of the time when it used to take me 20-30 minutes of logging out and logging in to get a good server that I'd spend 4-5 hours playing on... But I know what to look for, the guy making YouTube videos casually playing the game doesn't know what to look for hence the tacticool youtubers shouting FLANK RIGHT FLANK RIGHT at broken AI staring at a wall.

My favorite part of playing Star citizen was looking at the website and trying to figure out how to buy the game. It was like buying into a MLM scam.
Big play now button leads to
ZnHS558.jpeg

and it's been that way since April 2015, 9 months prior to the release of the persistent universe http://web.archive.org/web/20150316201855/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now
This is exactly what I'm talking about when referring to unwarranted critique.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
He's right though. What's the obsession with the v1.0? They could announce that they're no longer wiping progression in the next year or two and it'd be just as much of a live service as any other game on the market. It's not 1983 anymore. This isn't a one-and-done product where they need to mail you installation discs to give you more stuff. They've been doing quarterly digital updates for the last four and a half years and it's worked out really well. Their pre-alpha is attracting 2,000 new players a day and their daily active user count hovers around EVE Online's. Probably more in reality since people aren't logging on alts in Star Citizen.

The "product" hasn't even left pre-alpha and it's been 10 years so far. At the current rate, v1.0 is about 1,000 years away. Chrissie will be a fucking corpse by then.
Neither am I but you really can chalk all that down to broken servers. I said this earlier but $35 spent isn't enough for me to lie about it but a lot of this really is unfair and unwarranted critique. When you find a server that isn't broken, which used to be far more common prior to 3.17 (current patch cycle) admittedly, it's wonderful. Given the direct client performance to server performance relationship the game appears to have, I'm extremely curious how much 3.18's Gen12 implementation will fix things so you don't have to be lucky to get a working game anymore. It's already improved by a significant margin. I'd say I get working servers 70% of the time when it used to take me 20-30 minutes of logging out and logging in to get a good server that I'd spend 4-5 hours playing on... But I know what to look for, the guy making YouTube videos casually playing the game doesn't know what to look for hence the tacticool youtubers shouting FLANK RIGHT FLANK RIGHT at broken AI staring at a wall.

Broken servers due to Chrissie Roberts intentionally sabotaging his game by selecting software that has no native multiplayer support. He knew that when he licensed Cry Engine.

Big play now button leads to
ZnHS558.jpeg

and it's been that way since April 2015, 9 months prior to the release of the persistent universe http://web.archive.org/web/20150316201855/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now
This is exactly what I'm talking about when referring to unwarranted critique.

And you ignore that it can take days to get access. :lol:

Denial certainly runs through you as much as Chrissie's meat rocket in your ass you stupid fucking cum dumpster.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Neither am I but you really can chalk all that down to broken servers.

Come on... a broken server is not responsible for lifeless environments, NPCs who do nothing, and almost-inexistent A.I. Arguing otherwise is disingenuous.

Notwithstanding that for a multiplayer game broken servers should absolutely not be a thing when ten years and half a billion dollars into the development; on the developers' part that's just giving the middle finger to the players while sporting the biggest, most snarky grin.

Myobi

Liturgist
Please, source me those numbers.

Also, it would be the equivalent of Blizzard releasing WoW with just The Barrens, 1/3 of the classes, and features such as parties, dungeons, professions still missing while charging you 40-40,000$ for shit like heirlooms, gold and what the fuck not, while delaying everything multiple times and removing promised features out of the project along the way, you honestly think they wouldn’t get a fuck ton of shit for it as well? You are nuts. That said the “obsession” with 1.0, it’s because it’s a feature complete version, as in, the features promised when they took your fucking money, you know, the 100 solar systems, the Jesus Tech… well, if you can't see the interest of people getting the what and the when of what they paid for, I don't think I can help you.

From the YouTube video that was linked by @Myobi. The person that did the video researched how long it takes and that was the answer given by Clown Immoral Gaymes non-support staff.

You think it would help if we start providing drawings with crayons?

5pJHb60.png

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
the “obsession” with 1.0, it’s because it’s a feature complete version, as in, the features promised when they took your fucking money, you know, the 100 solar systems, the Jesus Tech… well, if you can't see the interest of people getting the what and the when of what they paid for, I don't think I can help you.
While I appreciate the feigned moral outrage on my behalf, none of this has anything to do with how enjoyable the game is or will be. I didn't throw thousands of dollars at the kickstarter. I didn't buy in at all until they had a playable game that I was interested in checking out. Now, as someone who has put money in, I couldn't care less if CIG ticks every box from the stretch goals - some of them aren't even good ideas. All I care about in regards to SC is that the game is interesting and getting regular updates. And if that stops being the case, then I'll stop playing/following the project.

If you put your life savings into the game 10 years ago, with the expectation that it would exactly live up to the pitch and estimated timeline, then I guess I can see being angry. But I don't get why anyone else would care.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
the “obsession” with 1.0, it’s because it’s a feature complete version, as in, the features promised when they took your fucking money, you know, the 100 solar systems, the Jesus Tech… well, if you can't see the interest of people getting the what and the when of what they paid for, I don't think I can help you.
While I appreciate the feigned moral outrage on my behalf, none of this has anything to do with how enjoyable the game is or will be. I didn't throw thousands of dollars at the kickstarter. I didn't buy in at all until they had a playable game that I was interested in checking out. I couldn't care less if CIG ticks every box from the stretch goals - some of them aren't even good ideas. All I care about in regards to SC is that the game is interesting and getting regular updates. And if that stops being the case, then I'll stop playing/following the project.

If you put your life savings into the game with the expectation that it would exactly live up to the pitch and estimated timeline, I guess I can see being angry. But I don't get why anyone else would care.

It's not a game. It's a pre-production vertical slice. Calling it a game is a disservice to real games. A vertical slice is only a part of the actual game that showcases where the development is currently at. Right now the vertical slice shows a lot of features are missing and they are nowhere near being close to an actual alpha much less a beta or even release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom