Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A bigger mystery is why Elite Dangerous has floundered, when you think about it. Or the No Man's Sky comeback. Space games are unpredictable for some reason.

It is not really a mystery. There is nothing to do in that game.

Ships are just different skins with better stats. You can't do shit about galaxy war as you can't fly more than one ship, even best randomization will not give you unique planets with histories so there is no reason to explore too. So what is left there ? Just better stats. If stats are what you are looking for then you might as well just play Ogame or Eve Online. Even devs know that which is why they introduced "engineers" which is basically just padding stats for money. So your not even saving for some different ship you straight up upgrade stats.

SC went into completely different direction. Ships are unique, systems are unique, planets are unique, stations are unique, asteroid belts are unique, faction are unique, fucking delivery companies are unique in what they can make you do if you want to be UPS guy. Even in this alpha there are unique NPCs vs just random portraits.

Good way to compare approach is to do simple thing as buying a ship gun.

ED - You have weapon manufacturer of gun. Opps you don't. Guns aren't made by anyone they just are. Each station has some random assort and that is it. Bigger stations have more assort than smaller and there is some small difference between 3 main factions.

SC - Hurston corp is weapon manufacturer of popular ship guns you use, few types of them in all sizes from something you can install on buggy to huge howitzers that are bigger than some ships. In SC Hurston is literally a planet, a city, a face you can talk to, true weapon showcase you can go in and buy ship guns directly from, the opressive regime in that city, underhanded quest giver that gives you missions barely moral, it is garbage dumps you see on planet, a moon that clearly looks like it had life on it but was gone as this was good weapon testing faccility, the scrapyards on planet, the toxic sea, the huge toxic clouds over their city which clearly signals they don't give a shit about what they are doing, the prison faccility that is effectively much like alcatraz on moon where average surface temp is in 250C range but also beautiful sunsets on savannas that were left free from human destruction.

People who want space games don't actually want space because that is boring they want unique views, places, people, races, ships, weapons, events, ideas and so on.

This is why Freespace 2, Tychon The Frindge, X games, Wing Commander, Homeworld and few other games are considered at top of the genre. Because they are something more than star catalog.

ED lacks that vision. Their vision was meager star catalog with attached gameplay and they got money for start catalog in which you can fly around nothing more. SC has the biggest vision which is its blessing in form of money and a curse in therms of feature creep.

Clearly people voted with their money what they want. ED or SC vision.

SC doesn't have a vision as evidenced by the fact that it's not released and is a pre-production vertical slice.

Norfleet

Starfield just works. Scam Shitizen has failed at even the most basic criteria: Actually existing.

ADL

Prophet
muh v1.0 release
meanwhile Star Citizen's pre-alpha has more variety and content than the entirety of the 400 billion star systems in Elite Dangerous which has been launched for nearly eight years with two $40 expansion packs. Seems to me that Star Citizens got the better deal and the better game overall at less than half the price of what Elite players have paid over the years.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
muh v1.0 release
meanwhile Star Citizen's pre-alpha has more variety and content than the entirety of the 400 billion star systems in Elite Dangerous which has been launched for nearly eight years with two $40 expansion packs. Seems to me that Star Citizens got the better deal and the better game overall.

SC hasn't even reached alpha stage you fucking retard.

ADL

Prophet
I'll start giving a fuck about the endless development when they stop delivering quarterly content updates. They've done a good job of that as seen here. More than enough to keep me entertained and engaged with the game over the years. Until then I'm stuck wondering why people want a project directed by Chris Roberts who is famous for pushing the boundaries of PC gaming to "release" his game so bad instead of viewing this as a unique and completely unprecedented opportunity to develop a completely unprecedented game without being exploitative or creating a pay2win scenario. Speaking as someone who actually plays the game of course.

Meanwhile 3.17.2 hit Evocati the other day and it looks great.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Chris Roberts who is famous for pushing the boundaries of PC gaming
He's actually not famous for that. He's famous for fucking up schedules and delaying the release of his games due to feature creep. That's why in his last few games he got fired for wasting the publisher's money.

He's continuing that fine tradition with faggot ass simps like you.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I glanced at some of the videos for this and was struck be how much it looked like a mega HD mod for something like SWTOR except with even more empty spaces to run through + no content.

More so, though I enjoy some simulation aspects in a game, there comes a point where I wonder why people who get into the minutiae of a completely autistic sim don't just do something in real life instead.

Anyway, this thing will never release because if it does, they will 1) lose their firehose of cash, 2) have to contend with a bunch of pissed off fanboys who cashed out their retirement plans to fund a glitchy space sim with no content.

My only regret is that I've never thought to launch this sort of grift. Apparently it's ridiculously lucrative.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
muh v1.0 release
How unreasonable of me to expect a computer game developer to produce a complete computer game in less time than it takes for a newborn infant to reach puberty and start shagging.

It's been an entire decade, with no end in sight. It simply isn't reasonable for a computer game—an entertainment product—to drag on this long in development hell.

The Manhattan Project lasted just over three years. At the rate we're going, Star Citizen will not only take 4-5x longer to develop than the nuclear bomb, it may even end up being more expensive.

Perkel

Arcane
They need to bring in Peter Molyneux.

He was/is legit good designer. He just needs good skilled team behind him which clearly didn't have later in his carrier as he cashed out from Lionhead to start new team. Even in his last game Godus you could see brilliance.

People wish to make even one groundbreaking game in their life and this dude had multiple of them under his belt.

People shit on him but his team was the first team to build legit AI that could learn in Black and White game. And by that i don't mean like some simple stats or doing some work faster ala xp bar. I mean literally learning stuff and choosing when to use what with their own mind regardless of player input. Black and White was pushed waaay past release shedule to the point people started to call it next DNF but in the end game was amazing and completely unique. That AI and much of Black and White couldn't be there without him period, while he might not program them personally he had the vision that there is something else around the corner worth pursuing instead of stamping another clone.

Perkel

Arcane
The most funny thing is that mainstream kids somehow hate him and 'dex kids fallow it despite the fact that in top 20 of best games ever by codex he has like few games. Trully 4channerer anime coomers are scourge that needs to be cleaned with fire from codex.

I think what killed him was that Microsoft killed his project called Milo. Which was AI virtual boy or something you can interact with. Dude had huge hard on for proper AI and wanted to create virtual human. Microsoft pulled plug and he quit to form his own studio alas he wasn't great manager.

Myobi

Liturgist
star citizen literally has nothing
you can't try to jew me because I've actually played it
Didn't you get lost in spawn area and quit, or was that Myobi

That was me, and I wasn't really lost, I knew exactly where I was, I was falling for 20 minutes trying to find a way respawn after clipping through the floor.

Chris Roberts who is famous for pushing the boundaries of PC gaming

You should read Freelancers wiki page.

By the way, Perkel give me the TL,DR version of "Bathtub Merchantman" drama please :D

Perkel

Arcane

By the way, Perkel give me the TL,DR version of "Bathtub Merchantman" drama please :D

I don't speak whale. So i don't know what i going on. I'm yet to understand mind of people who buy jpegs so on that front also i am poor help. Send me couple of milions so i can get into that state of mind and i will explain it to you.

Myobi

Liturgist

I don't speak whale. So i don't know what i going on. I'm yet to understand mind of people who buy jpegs so on that front also i am poor help. Send me couple of milions so i can get into that state of mind and i will explain it to you.

Perkel, you were supposed to be the semi-useful SC fan in this fucking place...

ADL

Prophet
That's why in his last few games he got fired for wasting the publisher's money.
You left out the fact that Freelancer released in a somewhat disappointing state and is regarded as one of the biggest missed opportunities for something better if only Chris Roberts had unlimited time and unlimited money that Star Citizen is now fortunate enough to have. I'm in for the ride and I can't believe a developer finally being afforded this kind of creative freedom has received such backlash.
How unreasonable of me to expect a computer game developer to produce a complete computer game in less time than it takes for a newborn infant to reach puberty and start shagging.
Finally some common ground. How unreasonable of you to expect a sci-fi life sim with immersive sim/space sim elements containing a hundred star systems in ten years. Let's call it seven actually because they had to hire and scale up as the funding exponentially increased.

Hell, they're still expanding.

give me the TL,DR version of "Bathtub Merchantman" drama please
alien ship doesn't look alien enough and not as industrial as the concept's jpg
given this tweet I'd imagine they'll redesign the exterior but that further delays the ship people have been wanting in game for six years

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The most funny thing is that mainstream kids somehow hate him and 'dex kids fallow it

Molyneux is a status-seeking charlatan. It's become abundantly clear that he has no talent in the realm of computer game development, either technical or creative; he is, at best, a mediocre entrepreneur and promoter.

There are some truths so uncontroversial that even grognards and normies can agree on them with little to no mutual rancor, and the truth of the matter is that Molyneux is a "personality" who has, at various times, attached his names to certain projects, hitched his wagon to various companies and organizations, and in short piggybacked off of people with actual creative/technical talent in order to make a name for himself.

When he actually tried his own hand at computer games, he's on record stating (at the time) that people would buy any garbage you churned out. When he failed miserably, he started selling baked beans overseas. Having made some money, he was able to bribe people with actual talent and take credit for their work.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Meanwhile 3.17.2 hit Evocati the other day and it looks great.

NPCs free-roaming on planets is pretty big. If they just don't do the usual CIG thing of putting a new feature into the game and then shelving it for a year.

ADL

Prophet
"For a game that's been in development for ten years I feel there should be more here, I'm glad I played this I can finally compare it to Starfield but I feel I haven't even scratched the surface of this thing... it's crazy"
??? timecode https://youtu.be/CryKMSG-FQY?t=1307
goes into it with a negative mindset and still has fun
Star Citizen: 1
YouTuber cunt: 0

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Finally some common ground. How unreasonable of you to expect a sci-fi life sim with immersive sim/space sim elements containing a hundred star systems in ten years.

There is no common ground here. I was smart enough to eject from this behemoth before it grew completely out of control.

For one thing, Star Citizen was billed initially as a space combat and trading simulation primarily, with "I can walk around in and leave my ship. Cool!" elements. From you I'm gleaning that it is now a "sci-fi life sim" first and foremost, with the actual space sim part merely being an element. Fascinating.

Hell, they're still expanding.

Oh, I'm sure they are. Star Citizen isn't the first overly-ambitious project to want to include every feature known to mankind—100% realistic NPCs with their own lives, bushels of planets/realms full of hand-crafted detail, walkable craft, flora and fauna simulated as artificial life rather than merely scripted, a realistic economy, and God only knows what else.

The sky's the limit. More years, more money, more developers, more features... it surely all must add up to the best game of all time by the end, right?

Sure, and a chef and his hundred assistants paid an astronomical sum to use three hundred different ingredients and spend six weeks baking a cake must surely produce the best cake of all time.

Feature creep and no clear sense of project scale or time management aren't good things, they're bad things. This has been proven time and time again.

Myobi

Liturgist
"For a game that's been in development for ten years I feel there should be more here, I'm glad I played this I can finally compare it to Starfield but I feel I haven't even scratched the surface of this thing... it's crazy"
??? timecode https://youtu.be/CryKMSG-FQY?t=1307
goes into it with a negative mindset and still has fun
Star Citizen: 1
YouTuber cunt: 0
“Alright guys… well… ahhh… as you can tell, this game is really complex and I don’t think it teaches you to do a lot of stuff, I’ve just had to look up a lot of stuff, but I won’t deny that it’s actually pretty cool… ahhh.. although, I don’t know how many people have the pacience for a game like this, it’s very clunky and ahhh… yeah… for something that has been worked for 10 years it feels like it should be moreee here? By this point, maybe? Yeah, I’m glad I played this because now I can compare it to starfield, but I feel like I haven’t scratched the surface of this thing, it’s crazy.”

The guy actually provides a fair, friendly and honest first experience review of the game. ADL: "ADMIT IT, YOU JUST HAD FUN! GET FUCKED YOU YOUTUBE CUNT!".

Dear fucking lord, I can't even imagine, the disappointment of someone after getting gangbanged hardcore by a bunch of dudes, and spending 274 fucking days carrying a useless shit around, just to painfully give birth to a cum sucking cunt like you.

Edited: Oh my god, I just noticed the bolded text! You actually believe that "For a game that's been in development for ten years, there should be more here" contradicts the "I haven't even scratched the surface" after playing just a couple of hours... holy shit dude, you are all sorts of special.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
That's why in his last few games he got fired for wasting the publisher's money.
You left out the fact that Freelancer released in a somewhat disappointing state and is regarded as one of the biggest missed opportunities for something better if only Chris Roberts had unlimited time and unlimited money that Star Citizen is now fortunate enough to have. I'm in for the ride and I can't believe a developer finally being afforded this kind of creative freedom has received such backlash.
I didn't leave anything out. I pointed out his history and you confirmed it that Chris Roberts is an abject failure that always was a money hungry whore. Now he's fucking you and other faggot simps harder then anyone else out there.

What are you on and where the fuck can I get some?

Myobi

Liturgist
"unlimited time and unlimited money that Star Citizen is now fortunate enough to have"

Hahahahahahahahaha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom