Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You're absolutely delusional if you think the cult is on the pro-SC side of things. The people backing this shit are either playing it or sitting comfortably waiting and it's a couple hundred schizos, many of whom haven't spent a dollar on it, that have made their hate of a crowdfunded space game their defining personality trait leading some weird brigade against the game and are now outraged on my behalf as a backer. I'd rather be the person playing the game instead of watching some 25 part video essay about "sunk costs". Average pledge is $92 which generally includes two $60 games. $92 versus years of shitposting and consooming Scam Citizen videos by outrage merchants on YouTube? Who's really the one with sunk costs here?

Dude, I spent around 1 thought per year thinking about what's going on with SCam, there are enough much more amusing morons here to troll than you guys

Myobi

Liturgist
Woah Alexander, this is probably the first post you wrote that didn’t made me feel all fuzzy inside, filled with disappointment and regret, congratz dude.

It isn't but do you really think what's been done here warrants hundreds of pages of complaints and shitposts about the delayed timeline?

I don’t know, I guess it highly depends on how it will turn out in the end, however, it is to be expected, and if you compare it to other video games backlash you might notice that Star Citizen is getting it pretty light.

The persistent universe is live, vastly exceeding the scope of the project I originally backed and it's quite enjoyable.

It's an opinion, it's quite enjoyable to some. My short experience with it was just dreadful... frustrating, and waste of time honestly.

If it delivers, it will arguably be the greatest technical marvel in multiplayer gaming ever created.

Touché.

Chris Roberts said...

Yeah, he sure said a lot of things. CiG suffers from the same problem Hello Games did, they have a fool with a big ass mouth giving face for the company... CiG wouldn't be getting half the shit it's getting if he just kept quiet.

The game's making incredible strides and hitting their mark delivering more and more of what people were promised yet the sentiment here and everywhere else is exactly the same because people aren't paying attention or blatantly ignoring reality.

It’s certainly trying to, I’ll give you that much.

I said it before, and I’ll say it again, I have no horse in this race, if the result it’s a nice game, I’ll buy it and play it till I get bored of it, if everything goes down in flames I’ll be laughing my ass off at people who have been actively shilling for them for years, it’s a win-win for me.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Reminder that this thread used to be funny and entertaining before retards who joined the cult started shitting it up with their unconvincing verbal diarrhea

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Then why not show gameplay?

1 hour of gameplay from 2017.

Nice of you to showcase a pre-production build of the game from 5 years ago.

do-you-have-a-more-recent-video-of-an-alpha-game.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just had a thought while I was in the shower. If you are a fan of this game or someone who has hopes for it, you have two options.

1) Run around defending the game and showing everyone that you are a gullible retard in hopes that someday you'll be vindicated and people will stop calling you retarded
2) Shut the fuck up until the game is out and then defend it or shill for it if it's good

If you pick option #1 you are lower than an onlyfans subscriber and a bigger simp too.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I just had a thought while I was in the shower. If you are a fan of this game or someone who has hopes for it, you have two options.

1) Run around defending the game and showing everyone that you are a gullible retard in hopes that someday you'll be vindicated and people will stop calling you retarded
2) Shut the fuck up until the game is out and then defend it or shill for it if it's good

If you pick option #1 you are lower than an onlyfans subscriber and a bigger simp too.

Well they're simping for Chrissie Roberts, so that makes them faggot simps which is way worse then normal simps.

These two simps would readily suck Chrissie off and ask for a ass fuck without lube.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's been many years since I've posted in this thread—nearly a decade, I believe—and I quit posting because once I was done with Star Citizen, I never wanted to waste an iota of energy on it again.

Certainly, during late 2012-early 2013, I was the Codex's #1 Star Citizen superfan. In my defense, I came by it honestly: I spent my childhood (ages 8-16ish) playing Wing Commander 1-4, Strike Commander, and Privateer. When I was 9, I spend many afternoons on the side porch of my parents' house just reading the Claw Marks magazine and blueprints that came in the game box. Furthermore, 2012-2013 was when crowdfunded games had exploded, and I gave very generously to many projects back then. In fact, that's why I registered for the Codex, which I'd been lurking for years, but had never bothered to post. I thought there was a comeback on the horizon for adventure games, cRPGs, classic action games, and so on—something worth discussing, in other words.

I pledged very early on, I paid for pledge ships, the whole nine yards. I was excited about what the game could be. By late 2013, I turned around and re-sold those pledge ships (to absurdly eager buyers) for double what I'd paid for them.

What ultimately decided me was that CIG went back on their word. They claimed that there'd be no more capital-class pledge ships offered after the crowdfunding campaign wrapped up, but they "changed their minds" and offered one anyway. A company that will deceive you once will deceive you any number of times. Also, it had started to become fairly clear that the game(s) would be years in coming, and I was starting to glimpse some writing on the wall.

Even I didn't imagine at the time that, a full fucking decade and tens of millions of dollars later, there is not any sort of v1.0, feature-complete software product that anyone on Earth can purchase from Cloud Industries Games at this time, at any price. This is the fact that current-day defenders simply can't get around.

I'm posting again after this long hiatus against my better judgement because we've reached a truly amazing milestone. God damn, a DECADE? What kind of an absolute moron is still defending this shit after an entire decade and still no v1.0?

Actual fighter jets (notably the F-4 Phantom) have been developed and then produced in less than a decade, some with little to no technological groundwork laid (the technological groundwork for computer games is 99% laid, from CIG's perspective).

Gargaune

Magister
Well I don't because Star Citizen is playable now and has been running as a live service, receiving substantial content updates every quarter for the last 4 years with the single system in the game delivering more content than the finished game they backed. If they wanted to play it that damn bad, log into the persistent universe and prepare to tolerate some bugs. Which is reasonable given that the game is completely unprecedented in scale.
The game hasn't released yet, they're still working and "fundraising" while in "Alpha!" It doesn't matter that you have "more" of some content if that aggregate content doesn't evenly cover all aspects of a the original promise with the requisite fit and finish, you haven't supplied an equivalent product while you carry on building. Are even all the .JPGs implemented yet? If you promise someone Baldur's Gate but you keep adding more maps while half the classes and the dialogue system aren't in, you're not actually providing them Baldur's fucking Gate. And it absolutely isn't reasonable to just tell someone to dick around in a buggy Premature Access in lieu of the finished goods after you've strung them along with an expanding scope for literal years past the due date.

Those people had many, many years to refund if they truly weren't happy with the direction of the game increasing exponentially in scope.
Horseshit. Tell me, when refunds were discontinued in 2017, what was CIG's roadmap? Was there an estimated target then? A "a big breakthrough" on the horizon that was gonna pull it altogether? You say that CIG will raise a billion dollars by 2026, meaning you don't believe it'll release before that - back in 2017, three years after the original due date and after five or more years of total "development", would non-refunding customers reasonably imagine it'd take at least another nine years to get their goods? Did CIG ever give such indication at the time?

At every delay, backers kept thinking that Star Citizen was just "a couple more years away" because that was the reasonable expectation that would follow, and with CIG's pocketbook breaking yearly records, it would surely ship in a "reasonable" timeframe. They already had blinkers on and didn't notice when Star Citizen effectively went from a product to a service consisting of continually funding an ever-expanding development scope. And all of this shit works because "crowdfunding" operates in a regulatory lapse where it's legally akin to donations, even though the general public perceives it as advance purchases.

And tell me another thing, Alex - in your opinion, why don't CIG let unsatisfied customers refund? It'd certainly give their public image a massive boost, and please don't bloviate about "principles", this is a business. Are they afraid that there'd be such a deluge of refunds to hurt their finances, is there such a mass of "captive" capital that it could dent the $86m they made last year alone? Or is it possible that they fear more and more backers will become unhappy in the years to come?

The ironic thing is despite the years of whining about release dates and scope creep, even the ones who don't have money in this thing are gonna buy in and play the hell out of it. It's ridiculous and I hope they have the balls to keep the same usernames because I'd love to recognize some of these absolute tools and laugh in their face when it happens.
Not directed at me, I hope. Don't worry, if I ever buy Star Citizen, I'll hit you up so we can cruise in our .JPGs.

I've told you before, I don't have an issue with you enjoying Star Citizen. I don't even have an issue with you being happy to wait until Man sets foot on Mars before Star Citizen releases. I might take the piss, but it's your money and your time, you're entitled to them.

I do have an issue with you acting like other backers don't have a legitimate grievance at being held captive to a project that's slowly swept the rug out from under them. You could like Star Citizen, the game, while recognising that Star Citizen, the business, is all sorts of fucked up. Those are not mutually exclusive positions and you are allowed to hold both simultaneously, even if Roberts might prefer you didn't.

It's been many years since I've posted in this thread—nearly a decade
Relax, a decade isn't "many years" in Star Citizenland.

Higher Game

Arcane
It's been many years since I've posted in this thread—nearly a decade, I believe—and I quit posting because once I was done with Star Citizen, I never wanted to waste an iota of energy on it again.

Certainly, during late 2012-early 2013, I was the Codex's #1 Star Citizen superfan. In my defense, I came by it honestly: I spent my childhood (ages 8-16ish) playing Wing Commander 1-4, Strike Commander, and Privateer. When I was 9, I spend many afternoons on the side porch of my parents' house just reading the Claw Marks magazine and blueprints that came in the game box. Furthermore, 2012-2013 was when crowdfunded games had exploded, and I gave very generously to many projects back then. In fact, that's why I registered for the Codex, which I'd been lurking for years, but had never bothered to post. I thought there was a comeback on the horizon for adventure games, cRPGs, classic action games, and so on—something worth discussing, in other words.

I pledged very early on, I paid for pledge ships, the whole nine yards. I was excited about what the game could be. By late 2013, I turned around and re-sold those pledge ships (to absurdly eager buyers) for double what I'd paid for them.

What ultimately decided me was that CIG went back on their word. They claimed that there'd be no more capital-class pledge ships offered after the crowdfunding campaign wrapped up, but they "changed their minds" and offered one anyway. A company that will deceive you once will deceive you any number of times. Also, it had started to become fairly clear that the game(s) would be years in coming, and I was starting to glimpse some writing on the wall.

Even I didn't imagine at the time that, a full fucking decade and tens of millions of dollars later, there is not any sort of v1.0, feature-complete software product that anyone on Earth can purchase from Cloud Industries Games at this time, at any price. This is the fact that current-day defenders simply can't get around.

I'm posting again after this long hiatus against my better judgement because we've reached a truly amazing milestone. God damn, a DECADE? What kind of an absolute moron is still defending this shit after an entire decade and still no v1.0?

Actual fighter jets (notably the F-4 Phantom) have been developed and then produced in less than a decade, some with little to no technological groundwork laid (the technological groundwork for computer games is 99% laid, from CIG's perspective).

I was skeptical of Star Citizen at first, being a nostalgia cash grab for a niche genre, but for some reason it has been absurdly excessively funded and now it has a freak show appeal. And it looks to be more substantial than a Duke Nukem Forever development hell, and the employee count and expenses of CIG show *something* is being made, so who knows.

A bigger mystery is why Elite Dangerous has floundered, when you think about it. Or the No Man's Sky comeback. Space games are unpredictable for some reason.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A bigger mystery is why Elite Dangerous has floundered, when you think about it. Or the No Man's Sky comeback. Space games are unpredictable for some reason.
That's no mystery, really: the content is boring and grind-y, primarily because it was designed as a quasi-MMO.

I pledged to the Elite Dangerous campaign, too, and still have the shrink-wrapped v1.0 game box.

The ships in ED handle beautifully and fairly uniquely. It "feels" like you're flying a "real" spaceship in some universe's version of spaceships, from what I recall.

ADL

Prophet

"Waaaaah let me lie and misrepresent the game until release"
no and go fuck yourself

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's certainly no lie nor a misrepresentation that after half a billion dollars and a full decade, there is still no v1.0, feature-complete product on offer—nor even a projected v1.0 release.

There are, however, several abandoned projected release dates and project road maps.

I'm just glad I turned my imaginary ships into hard cash nine years ago. I have the ADLs of the world to thank for handing me about $10,000 in net profit.

Dhaze

Cipher
Fun fact, do you know what used to be the backers answer to: "Why didn't CiG finished S42 and used it and it's profits to develop Star Citizen?"

Because "Both games share the same assets and systems, therefore makes no difference/it's easier for them to develop them both at the same time."

I don't want to derail this thread, but you just reminded me of two vaporware games titled Sui Generis and Exanima.

– A studio called Bare Mettle Entertainment created a Kickstarter for Sui Generis in 2012. With 160.000£ raised the Kickstarter was a success. And they estimated their game would be ready come May 2014.
– In December 2013 they announced the game would be delayed. Simultaneously, they announced the creation of what they called a 'prelude', which would be a thin slice of the main game set prior to its events. It would quench somewhat the backers' thirst, and every ounce of work done on this prelude would transfer directly into work for Sui Generis (sounds familiar?). Backers were okay with that.
May 2014 came, and passed, and Sui Generis was of course nowhere to be seen, and the prelude was floating somewhere in the ether.
October 2014 saw the prelude's alpha finally being released to the highest-paying backers under the title of Exanima.
March 2015 and now Exanima reached the beta stage, not because it had progressed but because it was made available to a lower tier of backers. The developers mentionned wanting to release Exanima to raise more funds.
– Still March 2015, and Exanima was released on Steam Greenlight. Amongst the backers' ranks copium started to flow, and the developers brushed aside any criticism.
– In April 2015 Exanima left Steam Greenlight and entered Early Access. Developers estimated it would stay there for 6 to 9 months.
– In November 2015, a year and a half after the estimated delivery of Sui Generis, its 'prelude' Exanima reached v0.6.

This november update marked the last one on the Kickstarter page.

As of today, Exanima is on v0.8.3 (and costs 13.99€). So, 10 years after the Kickstarter, what is currently playable is a barely-progressed beta version of a prelude to a phantom game.

On the Steam forums, all is well. Any sensible person has long left, thus the developers/scam artists stand surrounded by sycophants who constantly heap praise upon what is a shell of a game, and who see no problem whatsoever in the ways and timeline of its development. At times, the devs are treated as the holy messiah of future gaming, and backers should "Be happy that they're getting two games instead of one.'

Better yet, those fanboys have taken to rewriting history, going so far as to claim that developing Exanima before Sui Generis was the plan all along—a patently false claim, as anyone can easily verify by browsing through the Kickstarter updates circa 2013.
And when someone does just that, pointing that Exanima was never mentionned during the Kickstarter, the fanboys operate a tactical repositioning, and go on to explain that, you see, the game is so much more complex than any other, and it's gonna be so amazing, and the devs have expanded the scope and reworked every system twenty times, and they added so many items, etc etc...

I see quite a few parallels between Sui Generis / Exanima and Squadron 42 / Star Citizen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't want to derail this thread

:lol:

You're pretty on-topic comparing the particulars of two drawn-out vaporware game development projects that are similar in many respects, save (primarily) financial scope.

Even if you weren't on-topic, though, this is a decade-old thread about a game that hasn't yet been released. Given the game's track record, there's plenty of room to veer off on tangents. We've got years upon years to meander down roads less traveled by.

Myobi

Liturgist
Fun fact, do you know what used to be the backers answer to: "Why didn't CiG finished S42 and used it and it's profits to develop Star Citizen?"

Because "Both games share the same assets and systems, therefore makes no difference/it's easier for them to develop them both at the same time."

Better yet, those fanboys have taken to rewriting history, going so far as to claim that developing Exanima before Sui Generis was the plan all along—a patently false claim, as anyone can easily verify by browsing through the Kickstarter updates circa 2013.
And when someone does just that, pointing that Exanima was never mentionned during the Kickstarter, the fanboys operate a tactical repositioning, and go on to explain that, you see, the game is so much more complex than any other, and it's gonna be so amazing, and the devs have expanded the scope and reworked every system twenty times, and they added so many items, etc etc...

I see quite a few parallels between Sui Generis / Exanima and Squadron 42 / Star Citizen.

The formula is always more or less the same:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/trials-of-ascension-–-steam.124004/

Developers overpromise and mislead the community of what they are actually able to deliver, the community fantasies about what it will become and buys into it, shit starts to drag along and people start jumping ship, and a group of hardcore yes-man cult like cool-aid chuggers cock suckers starts to form up coping as they can while perceiving any negativity towards the project as “hate” or “trolling”, defending it just for the sake of defending it at any cost till the very end.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

"Waaaaah let me lie and misrepresent the game until release"
no and go fuck yourself

You can go fuck yourself first you faggot simp.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
ADL What the fuck are you 2 years old? I ask because everyone you disagree with you rate with Butthurt. Bitch we ain't butthurt over the fact that you're a faggot ass simp for a loser lying sack of shit Roberts. The only one butthurt is you and your young faggot ass because you can't stand the truth.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
What an interesting twist this thread has taken, From eager to a space sim to homosexuality and butt sex.

Perkel

Arcane
What an interesting twist this thread has taken, From eager to a space sim to homosexuality and butt sex.

rpgdex law

As discussion continues and shit starts to fly probabilty of it ending at homogay sex aproaches 1

Myobi

Liturgist
To be fair, Star Citizen and homosexual buttsex doesn't seem that different, at least I keep seeing Chris Roberts fucking a lot of dudes over and some of them really seem enjoy it.

everyone you disagree with you rate with Butthurt.

... again, to be fair, have you seen the man's argumentation skills? Might as well keep his profile private and spam those butthurts away.

Think of them like a flag, or a badge of honor, I have about 30 so far, and they all come just from 3 different people :D

Perkel

Arcane

It is not really a mystery. There is nothing to do in that game.

Ships are just different skins with better stats. You can't do shit about galaxy war as you can't fly more than one ship, even best randomization will not give you unique planets with histories so there is no reason to explore too. So what is left there ? Just better stats. If stats are what you are looking for then you might as well just play Ogame or Eve Online. Even devs know that which is why they introduced "engineers" which is basically just padding stats for money. So your not even saving for some different ship you straight up upgrade stats.

SC went into completely different direction. Ships are unique, systems are unique, planets are unique, stations are unique, asteroid belts are unique, faction are unique, fucking delivery companies are unique in what they can make you do if you want to be UPS guy. Even in this alpha there are unique NPCs vs just random portraits.

Good way to compare approach is to do simple thing as buying a ship gun.

ED - You have weapon manufacturer of gun. Opps you don't. Guns aren't made by anyone they just are. Each station has some random assort and that is it. Bigger stations have more assort than smaller and there is some small difference between 3 main factions.

SC - Hurston corp is weapon manufacturer of popular ship guns you use, few types of them in all sizes from something you can install on buggy to huge howitzers that are bigger than some ships. In SC Hurston is literally a planet, a city, a face you can talk to, true weapon showcase you can go in and buy ship guns directly from, the opressive regime in that city, underhanded quest giver that gives you missions barely moral, it is garbage dumps you see on planet, a moon that clearly looks like it had life on it but was gone as this was good weapon testing faccility, the scrapyards on planet, the toxic sea, the huge toxic clouds over their city which clearly signals they don't give a shit about what they are doing, the prison faccility that is effectively much like alcatraz on moon where average surface temp is in 250C range but also beautiful sunsets on savannas that were left free from human destruction.

People who want space games don't actually want space because that is boring they want unique views, places, people, races, ships, weapons, events, ideas and so on.

This is why Freespace 2, Tychon The Frindge, X games, Wing Commander, Homeworld and few other games are considered at top of the genre. Because they are something more than star catalog.

ED lacks that vision. Their vision was meager star catalog with attached gameplay and they got money for start catalog in which you can fly around nothing more. SC has the biggest vision which is its blessing in form of money and a curse in therms of feature creep.

Clearly people voted with their money what they want. ED or SC vision.

Codex Year of the Donut
it's simple
star citizen sells a dream of something that may(won't) one day be, elite dangerous sells the truth of what you'll actually get

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom