Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
New World has each server holding 2k players. FFXIV has 1.5k and others are about the same.

i am talking about maximum amount of players on screen not about how many instancing their server can hold.
In theory can you see those 1.5k players or those 2k at the same time ?

Myobi

Liturgist
New World has each server holding 2k players. FFXIV has 1.5k and others are about the same
In theory can you see those 1.5k players or those 2k at the same time ?

In theory, yes, everyone can, thanks to the magical wonders of Jesus Tech!

iu

Just got to believe!

Oh, also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_B-R5RB

"he 21-hour-long conflict pitted the Clusterfuck Coalition and Russian alliances (CFC/Rus) against the N3 Coalition and Pandemic Legion alliance (N3/PL), and involved over 7,548 player characters with a maximum of 2,670 players in the B-R5RB system at one time."

Perkel

Arcane
Now you're moving goal posts.

No i am not. If you count instancing then you can as well just ignore servers and say milions of players since this is how much some mmos have at the same time. It is at the same time in same game that is important. Excel spreadsheets also don't count (like ogame and other browser mmos who claim to have 100s of thousands of players at the same time)

Either way i got my answer. Seems that only Eve and Mortal online get some players at the same time. Eve is quite understandable since it is half excel. Mortal Online 2 seems to be much more impressive though since there is some degree of latency sensitive that needs to be met in order to play it.

Planetside2 also has from time to time 1000 players at the same map and you can definitely feel those 1000 players as it is complete mayhem.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Now you're moving goal posts.

No i am not. If you count instancing then you can as well just ignore servers and say milions of players since this is how much some mmos have at the same time. It is at the same time in same game that is important. Excel spreadsheets also don't count (like ogame and other browser mmos who claim to have 100s of thousands of players at the same time)

Either way i got my answer. Seems that only Eve and Mortal online get some players at the same time. Eve is quite understandable since it is half excel. Mortal Online 2 seems to be much more impressive though since there is some degree of latency sensitive that needs to be met in order to play it.

Planetside2 also has from time to time 1000 players at the same map and you can definitely feel those 1000 players as it is complete mayhem.

What are the current caps in mmos ?

Yes you are. You asked for the current player cap for a server. You said nothing about in the same room. Therefore you retarded Chrissie Roberts cultist moved the goal post.

The thing about cultists is that they are so brainwashed that they will flat out lie about what they've said and misrepresent what you've said.

Scam Citizen has about the same amount of players for games published 20 years ago. It's the fucking truth so stop lying and coping with the fact you are ridden hard by Chrissie like the good whore you are.

Perkel

Arcane
Yes you are. You asked for the current player cap for a server. You said nothing about in the same room. Therefore you retarded Chrissie Roberts cultist moved the goal post.

nigger i clarified it in reply to you right after.

Server cap is meaningless number if you have instancing. Good example of it is Elite:Dangerous space sim game. There isn't any "server" all people are playing on same "server" so 100s of thousands of players. And yet you can only fly with 4 other people, fight with other 4 players and everything is instanced to hell and back. Stations, ships formations, even "big" battles.

Myobi

Liturgist
What are the current caps in mmos ?
i am talking about maximum amount of players on screen not about how many instancing their server can hold.
Excel spreadsheets also don't count (like ogame and other browser mmos who claim to have 100s of thousands of players at the same time)

Eve is quite understandable since it is half excel
What the fuck do you even want then...?

There, WoW vanilla server limits, a game that turned into shit released almost 20 years ago... does it count?

can you see those 1.5k players or those 2k at the same time ?

Can Star Citizen? =P

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
nigger i clarified it in reply to you right after.
In other words, you moved the fucking goal post you retarded cultist. Thanks for admitting to everyone that you did indeed move the goal post to win and defend fair maiden Chrissie's honor. You have to lie to win. How pathetic can you be?

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Thanks for including Planetside 2, it deserves a mention imho. For being about 10 years old now it handles itself pretty well in huge battles. At least better than my Star Citizen experience so far, even with 0 other players on the screen.

Peachcurl

Arcane

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
pre-rendered cinematics

Those trailers are in-engine

Wait, wait... What? They are not "pre-rendered" they are "in-engine"... I'm confused, how are those mutually exclusive?

It's common practice for game companies to make wonderful cinematics using the engine available and push things to the extreme using workstation/server level hardware to get the best graphical fidelity. The entire thing is rendered beforehand and captured via software that is then used for marketing. Basically, they set up camera paths and script the entire sequence you see onscreen to fit with the script that the script writers came up with. It's done in the actual engine, but it's not done during an actual game play session.

This gives the company the ability to claim that in game engine can do such a great job in rendering/performance. They're not lying outright since they just omit the part that you need workstation/server hardware to get the performance you see in the marketing video.

In other words, pre-rendered is done by hardware that most users can only dream about owning. If the actual video was made using off the shelf consumer parts it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

Ever wonder why if you had top of the line hardware that the game you bought never looked as good as the marketing? Well the above is why.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
pre-rendered cinematics

Wait, wait... What? They are not "pre-rendered" they are "in-engine"... I'm confused, how are those mutually exclusive?
Essentially, he's saying that the engine _can_ handle it, but not in real time.

Which is of course nothing but pure cope.

Not cope, but the truth. Do you remember Anthem's cinematics? Yeah, all pre-rendered using the Frostbite Engine with none of what was shown at E3 actually being in the game. In fact, the game didn't even exist at that point in time. That was reported on by numerous journalists like Jason Schrier.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
They're rendered in
pre-rendered cinematics

Essentially, he's saying that the engine _can_ handle it, but not in real time.

Which is of course nothing but pure cope.
Everything in those trailers is in-game assets and animations, and it's not any higher quality graphics than what you'd see in a Morphologis video. There's even noticeable framerate hitches in a few parts. They've been doing patch release trailers like this for years.

The ship promos usually are pre-rendered.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Everything in those trailers is in-game assets and animations, and it's not any higher quality graphics than what you'd see in a Morphologis video. There's even noticeable framerate hitches in a few parts. They've been doing patch release trailers like this for years.

The ship promos usually are pre-rendered.

I never said otherwise now did I? I pointed out that the cinematics are all pre-rendered using server level hardware. If there's hitching in a pre-rendered in engine cinematic that means the engine is fucked up. That's the thing about pre-rendered cinematics is that you can remove the performance issues in a working game engine.

All the engine does is present the visual, kinetic, physics, and other aspects that it can do. It's just being used as a film studio instead of game. You can sit there and claim that it's in engine and you are technically correct. What you lose on is the fact that this is all pre-rendered on workstation/server level hardware using higher detailed assets that will never be shipped to the end users.

ADL

Prophet
Why is everyone acting like it's beyond comprehension that those trailers are representative of in-game performance and visuals? Server performance:client performance degradation is the only thing stopping high-end hardware reaching 4K/60 in most scenarios. Find yourself in a newly spun up instance with little to no other players and you'd totally be able to shoot that same trailer no problem.

After 3.18's Vulkan renderer and the entity rework, you'll likely see 100+fps on that hardware and 60/4K on upper mid-range hardware in the next patch. I'm bottlenecked heavily by my 2700X CPU and 6900XT. Currently I get 35-45fps in cities with volumetric clouds and 70+ in wilderness and outposts at ultrawide 3840x1600. 100+ out in space.

If I got a 5800X3D I could get pretty damn close to those frame rates at 2160p on a decent live server.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom